Ren'Py Daz3d to Renpy trouble

JetpackWerewolf

Feb 7, 2019
Ok so let me start this off by saying that I'm a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff so please be patient with me.

I've been rendering images in daz studio for a few weeks now and want to use the renders I've made for a vn, the problem is that no matter what I do or what tutorial I follow one of two things happen when I try to place my images.

1. The render doesn't show up at all and the game plays as if I didn't change anything.

2. I get the code error screen, or whatever it's called, and the game won't run.

This is after starting a new project in renpy if that helps. I made the renders jpg files and then created a desktop shortcut to the files, then I placed the images I want in the game into the projects image folder, and finally after following several different how to's I attempted to place my first image in the game's code and nothing worked.

I realize that there's probably something super simple that I'm doing wrong but I can't find what it is and nothing on youtube or google has helped me so far, If anyone has a daz to renpy step by step tutorial it would be greatly appreciated.

Thicc Lord

Purveyor of Thicc
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Hey, I've moved your thread to "Dev Help".
Also, can you paste in your code for the section that you're trying to load images in?
Are these full screen images (scenes) or character images?
Remember to use the Insert > Code option so that's it formatted correctly.

Reactions: JetpackWerewolf

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
This is after starting a new project in renpy if that helps. I made the renders jpg files and then created a desktop shortcut to the files, then I placed the images I want in the game into the projects image folder, and finally after following several different how to's I attempted to place my first image in the game's code and nothing worked.
This is your problem. You need to find the renpy image directory for your game and put the images in there:

2. I get the code error screen, or whatever it's called, and the game won't run.
This doesn't say a whole lot. Would be far easier, as mentioned, to just show the code that's giving you trouble. Ren'py should tell you what the error is.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Would be far easier, as mentioned, to just show the code that's giving you trouble. Ren'py should tell you what the error is.
The error message would probably be more helpful here, since a missing image or a malformed name will not be shown by the code. The ideal being, obviously, to have the two.

Reactions: MissFortune

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
From the code it should be something like
show myimage.jpg with dissolve

Now Renpy will look in the image folder. You can have a many subfolders as you like, what matters that the name is unique.
So place the image in you image folder. Not a shortcut and then it should be displayed.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Generally speaking, use scene not show.

Python:
    scene myimage with dissolve

Also, you don't generally need the .jpg suffix. RenPy automatically creates what it calls a "displayable" (think alias or shortcut) to images in the /game/images/ folder (and subfolders). The displayable is the original filename converted to lowercase and the filetype suffix removed.

show has it's uses. It's very useful for specific things. But for showing fullscreen background images... use scene.

FrankF010

Sep 17, 2021
I am also brand new to programming. I have created a character in Daz3d to use in a game I am creating in Renpy. I know I need to place the character in the Renpy image folder but beyond that, I have no idea what to do. I do not even know how to place the character in the Renpy image folder. If anyone can give me help, advice, or a tutorial, I would be very appreciative.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I am also brand new to programming. I have created a character in Daz3d to use in a game I am creating in Renpy. I know I need to place the character in the Renpy image folder but beyond that, I have no idea what to do. I do not even know how to place the character in the Renpy image folder. If anyone can give me help, advice, or a tutorial, I would be very appreciative.
I'm assuming you've rendered the images? Just follow the video I posted above. It'll open up your Ren'py image directory. Drop the image into the folder. Then go into your coding software of choice (Atom, VSCode, etc.) and test your image.

Code:
scene image1 with dissolve
mc "blah, haha."
scene image2 with dissolve
li "Blee, Blah."
, . The latter is featured in IT-Roy's Create Your Own Visual Novel series which, while incomplete, offers a lot of solid knowledge that'll help you learn Daz a bit quicker. Game Developer Training is also worth a watch for Ren'py and even some Daz.

FrankF010

Sep 17, 2021
I'm assuming you've rendered the images? Just follow the video I posted above. It'll open up your Ren'py image directory. Drop the image into the folder. Then go into your coding software of choice (Atom, VSCode, etc.) and test your image.

Code:
scene image1 with dissolve
mc "blah, haha."
scene image2 with dissolve
li "Blee, Blah."
, . The latter is featured in IT-Roy's Create Your Own Visual Novel series which, while incomplete, offers a lot of solid knowledge that'll help you learn Daz a bit quicker. Game Developer Training is also worth a watch for Ren'py and even some Daz.
Thanks for the reply. I know this may be a basic question but how do you convert a Daz3d image into a png or jpg? I believe that once I do that, the image will be compatible in Ren'py. Is that correct?

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I know this may be a basic question but how do you convert a Daz3d image into a png or jpg? I believe that once I do that, the image will be compatible in Ren'py. Is that correct?
render.png

After rendering a few hundred PNG renders, though, you'll probably want to convert them to WebP for use in a game/VN as PNGs end up being quite large (my average 4K PNG is like 9MB, which stacks up quick.). Fair warning, though, depending on your hardware, it might take a while to render. If you can at all, depending on what type of hardware you're running.

Reactions: FrankF010