[DAZ3D] What is the weakest rig you used to render?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
What is the weakest rig you have used to render DAZ3D images?
Have you ever used DAZ3D models outside DAZ3D rendering scene and would you say it was worth it?

p_staker

Mar 31, 2018
AMD FX-6300 8Gb RAM 3Delight. It was so painful...
Ha!

That would have been an awesome setup.

From my saved Daz log file...

Code:
+++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.6.1.39 starting +++++++++++++++++
Platform bits: 64
Qt Version: 4.8.4
Running on Windows 7, Build 7600, No Service Pack Installed
CPU Information:
    CPU String: GenuineIntel
    CPU Brand String: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 430  @ 2.27GHz
---
Physical Memory:
    Total: 3.7 GB (4007690240)
    Avail: 2.7 GB (2911809536)
---
Current DateTime:
    Loc: Sun Dec 22 18:32:01 2013
---
Finished Rendering
Total Rendering Time: 1 hours 16 minutes 33.41 seconds
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This was the laptop that I learned how to use Daz Studio on.

My god, the viewport was so slow with that many characters at one time.

And yes, I've been working on a "VN" since before it was cool to work on a VN.

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Oh wow, so even without a powerful rig it is "doable" to use DAZ3D for rendering.
Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: p_staker

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I used just a 1050 card to put out my game last year.

But rendering early gen models (Victoria 4, Genesis, Genesis 2) is very easy on any modern computer and TBH with some good texturing can look comparable to genesis 8.

Reactions: OhWee and p_staker

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
A8-6410 with AMD graphics, Iray renders. So, the graphics were basically driving the viewport, but didn't help with the rendering at all.

SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW...

(CPU only rendering).

Really, any computer that can run Daz Studio can render (well, maybe not if you have only 4 GB of ram or something), it'll just take a long time for Iray if you don't have CUDA cores. A strategy along these lines (if you have a spare computer sitting around) is to use your first computer to set up the renders, and your second computer to bake them. That way you can still use the first computer to set up your next scene, play games, etc...

I'm actually using that A8-6410 system right now to type this (my Render computer died), and am about to buy the replacement 'interim' render system. I refuse to render on this laptop again. The screen is tiny, and besides, the internal SSD is full... so I'm taking a break from rendering until the new system arrives.

But, of course, if you are doing Iray, yeah get an Nvidia CUDA card already! As for 3Delight, yeah more cores good... no one has started a 3Delight benchmark thread, at least not that I can find, but I'd imagine the Threadripper 2990WX might do OK...

Reactions: Winterfire
Sep 10, 2018
Trying my luck at it currently with Windows 7 Intel i5-3210M 2.5 Ghz, 4GB of ram and well I just went to to check what my gpu is and my computer isn't registering one... which would explain alot.. I'll get back to you

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Trying my luck at it currently with Windows 7 Intel i5-3210M 2.5 Ghz, 4GB of ram and well I just went to to check what my gpu is and my computer isn't registering one... which would explain alot.. I'll get back to you
So I'm not acquainted with your CPU, but if you are able to see stuff on the monitor you likely have either an integrated GPU (built into the CPU chip) or a discrete one (separate card, or separate chip if a laptop). Either way, once you figure out what GPU is driving your monitor, there's a setting inside of Daz to have your GPU drive the viewport at least. This won't help with render times, but it WILL make working with scenes a bit more smooth, assuming that Daz is able to put your GPU to use in this regard.

Also note that, unless your GPU solution is an Nvidia card which has CUDA cores, it won't help you with Iray renders. It might help with Blender though...

Reactions: saintvermillion

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
My current rig is starting to slow down as the demands of the renders go up. So I would like to upgrade at some point don't see that happening on my fixed income at this point. Iray can be really demanding.

Sep 10, 2018
So I'm not acquainted with your CPU, but if you are able to see stuff on the monitor you likely have either an integrated GPU (built into the CPU chip) or a discrete one (separate card, or separate chip if a laptop). Either way, once you figure out what GPU is driving your monitor, there's a setting inside of Daz to have your GPU drive the viewport at least. This won't help with render times, but it WILL make working with scenes a bit more smooth, assuming that Daz is able to put your GPU to use in this regard.

Also note that, unless your GPU solution is an Nvidia card which has CUDA cores, it won't help you with Iray renders. It might help with Blender though...
Yeah it was running off an integrated gpu so technically it was running one, I tried restarting my computer and now it's picking up the other gpu, an nvidia geforce 610m, which I assume doesn't have CUDA cores simply because its the gpu equivalent of being retarded. I know I'm probably making things painful for myself but the render quality matters to me so i'm curious how far I could get trying rendering in iray with this rig and what would actually be the best set-up for this even if it takes more time. I used to have an i7 touch screen laptop with a beast of a gpu but I was a very naughty boy so the local constabulary destroyed it. Appreciate the tip concerning the gpu driving the viewport.

edit: apprently it does have 48 cuda cores.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Yeah it was running off an integrated gpu so technically it was running one, I tried restarting my computer and now it's picking up the other gpu, an nvidia geforce 610m, which I assume doesn't have CUDA cores simply because its the gpu equivalent of being retarded. I know I'm probably making things painful for myself but the render quality matters to me so i'm curious how far I could get trying rendering in iray with this rig and what would actually be the best set-up for this even if it takes more time. I used to have an i7 touch screen laptop with a beast of a gpu but I was a very naughty boy so the local constabulary destroyed it. Appreciate the tip concerning the gpu driving the viewport.

edit: apprently it does have 48 cuda cores.
I looked up the specs on your card. So the 1-2 GB of VRAM will be extremely restrictive, but it may not be completely impossible to use with Iray. The only way to know for sure is to try.

You'll probably have to render your characters separately from the backgrounds, and you may need to use older characters (pre-Genesis 3) in order to get them to fit inside the VRAM. And keep your lighting simple/well lit.

There may be a few other tricks you can use as well to minimize the texture sizes (removing normal/spec/bump maps, reducing texture sizes, etc.) if things won't fit.

CPU only isn't the end of the world though. Just painfully slow.

I'm curious to see if it's possible to do a successful Iray renter with that little VRAM. Let us know how it goes!

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
If you use multiple makes of GPU's might want to switch to Octane

Sep 10, 2018
I tried setting up a scene with a Victoria 7 morph, clothes, hair, 1 applied pose and 2 point lighting in the environment of a painting studio, render settings of 1080p iRay using both CPU and the nvidia card. I just wanted to see whether the render was capable of finishing. I went outside for a cigarette and when i came back in some kind of error appeared on the taskbar and then two seconds later my computer monitor went black. I'm guessing the nvidia card was too taxed to display the computer screen anymore. I'll try again with cpu only and see how I go.

Sep 10, 2018
Tried with cpu only and for simple renders it does really well, about ten minutes. It's basically as was previously said with a shitty rig you can do it, just going to take more time.

Reactions: OhWee