DazCentral

Wobble2020

Jan 2, 2018
Has anyone tried the new DazCentral yet? Downloading it now to play with later, but I'm curious if it's worthwhile.

Feb 3, 2020
It will overwrite your DIM settings and there is no offline mode. AFAIK the only benefit is that it's always connected so you will be notified with updates. Not enough to offset its shortcomings IMO.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
You have to install non-purchased assets with the old DIM, as long as it works.
Daz Central does not support illegally downloaded content, only downloads from DAZ.

Or at least, I haven't been able to make it work with other packs.

Feb 9, 2020
cooperdk Is there a chance that either install/content manager DIM or Central will cause problems with using non-standard assets such as are available here. Is there a risk of either system reporting back to the mothership resulting in account issues? Should Daz Studio or any of its associated executables be blocked from network communication at the firewall? Will Daz Studio function properly in isolation from the network? I have a number of assets which came from sources outside of the offical DAZ marketplace and have wondered if I needed to take any steps to ensure everything works and no red flags get raised. Any insight is appreciated. -spiritofrabbit.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
cooperdk Is there a chance that either install/content manager DIM or Central will cause problems with using non-standard assets such as are available here. Is there a risk of either system reporting back to the mothership resulting in account issues? Should Daz Studio or any of its associated executables be blocked from network communication at the firewall? Will Daz Studio function properly in isolation from the network? I have a number of assets which came from sources outside of the offical DAZ marketplace and have wondered if I needed to take any steps to ensure everything works and no red flags get raised. Any insight is appreciated. -spiritofrabbit.
Well, if you're afraid it will, use Daz Install Manager (the old software) and don't log in. You won't get automatic updates, though.

The new Daz Central will only (to my knowledge) let you install stuf from DAZ. I haven't succeeding in installing from a folder with DZ*, RY*, RO* etc zip files.

Feb 9, 2020
cooperdk I see. I gather then that a known thing about the old Install Mgr is that it does not care about what assets are in place within the library directory. I gather if an asset does not have an entry in the cms database that the install mgr probably does not have the ability to know anything about it. I only log in typically when I've got downloads from the daz marketplace that need to be installed. I suppose I will not worry about blocking Central at the firewall for now. As long as I can access an alternate content directory alongside the standard one within DaZ studio itself, it works for me. I don't plan to do anything commerical with assets that I haven't created from scratch anyway. I just like to build things. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. It never hurts to try and make sure ones bases are covered in any event. thanks -spiritofrabbit

Reactions: cooperdk