Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
If you read the creators post a page or so back. You kinda get the feeling it wasn't really a money issue, at least not the primary thing. Although with some good income he could afford to hire a proper coder. As he said, he can't pay a coder with packs of ramen.
I once had someone write me this: "A true musician is a person who puts a $10.000 guitar into the trunk of a $1000 car, only to drive 100 miles for a $10 gig."

If you feel passion for something, you will find a way to make it happen. In this case the dev could have learned Ren'py himself, even if it meant slower updates. To me, doing that would have showed he is truly passionate about the game. Anyway, what's done is done. I don't want to bash someone needlessly over something they likely didn't do to cause problems for others, so I will simply wish the dev good luck with his future projects.

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
Yes but he made this error. Think bout it, Why start a game before learning what needed for it, a new dev will never get enough to pay proper coders/writers ... and rush things is never a good choice
No shit, plus the dude had his machine go tits up on him. But he was rendering images on his laptop. Most laptops have shit heat dissipation and plowing through image after image was obviously gonna leave that thing a smoking crater.

I think the dev just did crappy planning, got in over his head, and plowed on with a half-assed product instead of just shutting it down for a while to catch his breath. Then he decided to burn all his goodwill by getting butthurt that he wasn't profusely thanked for his niceness in releasing a steaming pile of couldn't-be-bothered and calling it "complete."

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
By the way, I do think it counts for something to at least try to give some form of closure to your work. We all know there's enough devs who just vanish off the face of the earth and kill their games.
Some even did so after getting a lot of money over years from their patrons.
So seen like this, yes it is good that the dev did try to provide an ending, but being butthurt about people's reaction to it, that's just not the way to go about it.

We have devs here whose whole country got pretty much destroyed by catastrophes and who returned to work on their game, once it was possible and even those got some pretty harsh feedback.

randos belgados

Jan 11, 2019
If you read the creators post a page or so back. You kinda get the feeling it wasn't really a money issue, at least not the primary thing. Although with some good income he could afford to hire a proper coder. As he said, he can't pay a coder with packs of ramen.
money isn't the issue but can't pay coder with pack or ramen. lol
Yes but he made this error. Think bout it, Why start a game before learning what needed for it, a new dev will never get enough to pay proper coders/writers ... and rush things is never a good choice
totally agree with this!

dev, after months of creating the game, now complaining about can't codes, bad hardware and don't have ramen for a friend? are you a toxic dev or what?

but to be fair. I should be thank you for this "early ejaculation" ending. at least this game has ending. unlike big brother lol

Reactions: juan palote

randos belgados

Jan 11, 2019
I once had someone write me this: "A true musician is a person who puts a $10.000 guitar into the trunk of a $1000 car, only to drive 100 miles for a $10 gig."

If you feel passion for something, you will find a way to make it happen. In this case the dev could have learned Ren'py himself, even if it meant slower updates. To me, doing that would have showed he is truly passionate about the game. Anyway, what's done is done. I don't want to bash someone needlessly over something they likely didn't do to cause problems for others, so I will simply wish the dev good luck with his future projects.
true, he had the option to "on hold" while learning to code if he can't pay a pack or ramen to his friend and save more money to buy better hardware instead of accusing ppl as toxic.

randos belgados

Jan 11, 2019
So seen like this, yes it is good that the dev did try to provide an ending, but being butthurt about people's reaction to it, that's just not the way to go about it.
not only about good hardware, story line and coding skill. being a dev also need to have a good communication skill.

Reactions: botc76

light03

Feb 26, 2018
And that, right there, is the worst reason to make these games in the first place. Passion makes great games, whereas the desire for a quick buck makes people fall flat on their faces.
This is an absolutely normal reason to stop development. Passion is good, but lack of support means lack of interest.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Some people try to run before they can walk, or yet crawl. But that is a learning experience. I won't really fault someone for trying. I believe most here have tried things they didn't really knew how to handle or was equipped to do some time or the other.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
This is an absolutely normal reason to stop development. Passion is good, but lack of support means lack of interest.
I think you kinda missed the point I was trying to convey. If the dev was truly passionate about his project, then he wouldn't care if it lacked interest or support from others or not, but instead just have continued making the game, because HE wanted the make the game.
I am planning on making a game of my own, which I intend to release for absolute free, because I don't really care about the money. If others like the game, good. If they don't like it, no big deal, because the game is meant for me anyways, so if any single other person ends up enjoying it, then the game has already surpassed its original goal.

You are welcome to disagree with me, but in my eyes, if the dev stops his game simply because there is a lack of interest, then he was never truly invested in the game to begin with.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I think you kinda missed the point I was trying to convey. If the dev was truly passionate about his project, then he wouldn't care if it lacked interest or support from others or not, but instead just have continued making the game, because HE wanted the make the game.
I am planning on making a game of my own, which I intend to release for absolute free, because I don't really care about the money. If others like the game, good. If they don't like it, no big deal, because the game is meant for me anyways, so if any single other person ends up enjoying it, then the game has already surpassed its original goal.

You are welcome to disagree with me, but in my eyes, if the dev stops his game simply because there is a lack of interest, then he was never truly invested in the game to begin with.
You can start out with something with great passion, just for the fire to go out though. There is many creators out there that started over, re-iterated and re-mastered their games. Some more than once as well. If you start think your project can't be saved and/or what hours you got available is better spent at something new, and then bring the experience with you to try avoid repeat past mistakes. He did own up to his own short-comings (could probably handle feedback and critics a bit better though), there is people out there that would never do such.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
So let me get this straight.

The developer starts a project, without any coding skills and with only a laptop to do the renders, doesnt offer it for free but tries to monetize it, and then when he fails to finish the project since he has no coding skills or the neccesary equipment, he gets mad with the community that gets dissapointed at his lack of planning and execution?

How is any of this the community fault?

mmmonsterkill

Aug 30, 2016
can this really be called completed?
also im a bit out of the loop whats with all the shitflinging on the last page did the dev get butthurt when people called it incomplete?

sidenote: i cant really complain that the dev decided he didn't wanna work on it anymore im not a patreon so i dont have anything to whine about as i got to play for free, a bit sad that a game with such potential got shot behind the barn tho.

Wicked Garden

Osiris
Donor
May 9, 2018
And that, right there, is the worst reason to make these games in the first place. Passion makes great games, whereas the desire for a quick buck makes people fall flat on their faces.
That's why I'm picky on who I give my money to. This whole project was a complete waste of time.. for everyone.

Reactions: Agent HK47

Wicked Garden

Osiris
Donor
May 9, 2018
So let me get this straight.

The developer starts a project, without any coding skills and with only a laptop to do the renders, doesnt offer it for free but tries to monetize it, and then when he fails to finish the project since he has no coding skills or the neccesary equipment, he gets mad with the community that gets dissapointed at his lack of planning and execution?

How is any of this the community fault?
Is this true? If so wow that's bad.

Wicked Garden

Osiris
Donor
May 9, 2018
Some people try to run before they can walk, or yet crawl. But that is a learning experience. I won't really fault someone for trying. I believe most here have tried things they didn't really knew how to handle or was equipped to do some time or the other.
I somewhat agree what you're saying. If him working on a new project means that he's going to do the due diligence necessary to produce a better game then more power to him. But making it seem as if money is your sole purpose for creating then that's a terrible look on the Devs part. It's also gonna make potential future patreons more skeptical.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I somewhat agree what you're saying. If him working on a new project means that he's going to do the due diligence necessary to produce a better game then more power to him. But making it seem as if money is your sole purpose for creating then that's a terrible look on the Devs part. It's also gonna make potential future patreons more skeptical.
His Patreon is 1 year old with a peak of 32 patreons or something. I don't think money is the prime objective there. If it was he wouldn't bothered release anything at all to wrap up and give some sort of ending to his game. You would earned more doing some awful part time job, whatever.

Reactions: Raven Hex

AGoodDay2Die

Feb 9, 2018
I finally did but I had to be persistent and close the virus laden popups a dozen times at least

Or you COULD just learn how to use a browser with ad-blocker, script-blocker, and popup-blocker add-ons. I have never, not once in all the years zippyshare has existed, ever had a popup of any kind in anything but a barenaked install of Chrome I had for testing purposes. I have, a couple times, encountered on-page ads but those situations were quickly remedied. Zippyshare is one of the best sites out there for it's combination of speed, retention, parallel downloads, no wait times, no cumulative limits, no demonic muthafuckin' captchas - their only drawback is the mediocre filesize limit.

Wicked Garden

Osiris
Donor
May 9, 2018
His Patreon is 1 year old with a peak of 32 patreons or something. I don't think money is the prime objective there. If it was he wouldn't bothered release anything at all to wrap up and give some sort of ending to his game. You would earned more doing some awful part time job, whatever.
Meh, well I wish him the best and his fans closure I guess.

2.20 star(s) 19 Votes