Axvz

Mar 25, 2021
That is not a dead end it is a rule to avoid feature creep and to keep the setting and tone in place.
Setting and tone overall were fucked from the beginning and further expansions and explanations on this don't really help.
For example game has crime system which kinda works for the sake of gameplay but that's it. "You were raped? Bruh, get lost we are hign on aphrodisiac or something, we will do nothing. Wait, you stole an item worth of 5 whatevers a month ago? Now we're interested.."
And not to mention things like player capable of being most notorious fighter, best chef in town, freaking mecenat paying hundreds of thousands to renovate the said town, etc at the same time but hey "looks breedable enough, so I will try to bang this one despite them being actually not just famous asskicker but freaking VIP". Bruh.
Also never noticed game explaining why player and some LIs are completely unaffected to things like said aphrodisiac which drive everyone excluding them fuck crazy. Sydney doesn't give a fuck despite the fact the church isn't protected in any way, their parent is completely unaware, MC, Bailey and so on.

anomajou

May 7, 2023
Setting and tone overall were fucked from the beginning and further expansions and explanations on this don't really help.
For example game has crime system which kinda works for the sake of gameplay but that's it. "You were raped? Bruh, get lost we are hign on aphrodisiac or something, we will do nothing. Wait, you stole an item worth of 5 whatevers a month ago? Now we're interested.."
And not to mention things like player capable of being most notorious fighter, best chef in town, freaking mecenat paying hundreds of thousands to renovate the said town, etc at the same time but hey "looks breedable enough, so I will try to bang this one despite them being actually not just famous asskicker but freaking VIP". Bruh.
Also never noticed game explaining why player and some LIs are completely unaffected to things like said aphrodisiac which drive everyone excluding them fuck crazy. Sydney doesn't give a fuck despite the fact the church isn't protected in any way, their parent is completely unaware, MC, Bailey and so on.
vip? in what way? if you're vip - where's your personal security team? you're in britain, where knives and pepper sprays are illegal to even keep at home, while serial rapists are apparently free to escape to romania if they catch too much heat.

AkagiVoid

Feb 12, 2020
1) DO NOT USE V.debug for anything but messing around in a new playthrough specifically dedicated to that mode. it can and will cause bugs, corrupt your progression, kill your dog, explode your pc, and ntr your waifu.
2) farm is one of the more volatile areas of the game, bypassing the grind in the way mentioned can corrupt the progression.
3) game no longer uses V.time, you must use methods of the global Time object instead.
4) any command mentioned that involves {} WILL corrupt your game. use built-in auto-complete to modify each property individually instead of replacing the object as a whole.
5) V.painmax theoretically works, but it doesn't, because the combat code doesn't run clampers, and will start to incapacitate you at 100, and the limit of 200 is only there so you're still at "max" pain for some time after a major beating, but not for too long. touching the *max values is a bad idea in general, because nobody cared about consistency of their usage.
6) SugarCube.State.active.variables, SugarCube.State.variables, and V are all synonims, there is no point typing the longer version.
Dats kinda harsh (I did put a warning note in my cmd list btw about dat), I have been testing both V, SugarCube, and Wikifier with no disastrous results YET, although there's sum feats dat I can't get with Wikifier method though. >w>

MasterN64

Apr 29, 2020
Guy the tone and setting of the game is literally that society doesnt give a damn about prosecuting anything other than money. That sexual exploitation of people is considered normal. That the church is more than just a religious building that serves as a direct analog to Christianity and in fact has more plot about what is going on with the city when you do their plotline. Nowhere is it stated or implied that any of the characters are somehow unaffected by drugs in any way and the simple fact that getting influenced by them DIRECTLY impacts the player stats proves this. These are not the big plot holes you think they are since you clearly lack the understanding of the setting as a whole. The problem isnt with the setting it is with your total lack of understanding about the setting itself.

The entire fucking point of the setting is that you are a piece of meat. It doesnt matter how well known you are or how innocent you are or how important you are. Nobody gives a shit. If you cant or refuse to accept that then i dont know what you are even doing here.

FacelessLN

Nov 6, 2018
Does anyone know if the developer has plans to add the possibility to punish Bailey and other scum? Don't really want to begin a new playthrough if I can't do shit to defend Robin and the others.

Feb 17, 2023
I've previously made mention of limitations of choice and "player freedom", so it's kind of nice to see someone who did some development on the game kind of back up why there will always be fundamental difficulties with this kind of design philosophy, even if it's from a bit of a different angle. Shit, if I had to try to write scenes and always make them vague enough that it works for all types of characters no matter who/what is involved OR if I had to start writing alternative versions to cover all the different major variations, I'd probably give up pretty damned fast too. It sounds both very obnoxious and limiting, which has to make it frustrating to always work inside that framework.

I think at some point, we have to recognize that any game, even a living and still developing game like DoL, is ultimately still just a game, and every game has its core strengths and weaknesses, and those weaknesses will inevitably start to feel very amplified if you spend enough time ramming your head against them. It'd be nice if we could selectively erase parts of our brains so that we could experience things for the first time again, but we all stop playing what were once our favorite games (and watching our favorite movies, reading our favorite books, listening to our favorite music albums, etc.) eventually...even if we come back to them again years down the line. Too much repetition without new and interesting variations becomes predictable becomes rote and mindless becomes tired and painful becomes existential boredom and terror, it's just how we work. Life would be a lot simpler for everyone if it wasn't, though.
I think the most telling example is (in vague terms - sorry - not much interest in being specific given that just showcases who I am in an instant) was that I helped write a scene with over 50 alternate scenes, and if you play it in-game right now, it's something a lot of people will never see, because it happens and depends on a mix of gender/appearance + what's happened in the game until then.

I've always wanted to expand on it, but it's just not feasible, because the entire thing is coded in a way that it only works if there's an alt for every single possible divergence, and I'm not keen on writing 50+ alternate scenes for every possibility that stay in line with the other content addition rules.

Add to that that the game's development has become a lot more "code it yourself" than "write and it'll get coded", and you kinda end up without a possibility to innovate if you don't know how to code, or where you know how to code but aren't a good writer that can innovate.

The handful of people who are good at both end up overworked entirely, and poof.

The community itself doesn't help much either, given that aside from Vrel, there's maybe 5 people who are genuinely helpful (which, to be fair, is more than 0) towards new contributors these days. Something something, teaching is harder than doing it yourself.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
I think the most telling example is (in vague terms - sorry - not much interest in being specific given that just showcases who I am in an instant) was that I helped write a scene with over 50 alternate scenes, and if you play it in-game right now, it's something a lot of people will never see, because it happens and depends on a mix of gender/appearance + what's happened in the game until then.

I've always wanted to expand on it, but it's just not feasible, because the entire thing is coded in a way that it only works if there's an alt for every single possible divergence, and I'm not keen on writing 50+ alternate scenes for every possibility that stay in line with the other content addition rules.

Add to that that the game's development has become a lot more "code it yourself" than "write and it'll get coded", and you kinda end up without a possibility to innovate if you don't know how to code, or where you know how to code but aren't a good writer that can innovate.

The handful of people who are good at both end up overworked entirely, and poof.

The community itself doesn't help much either, given that aside from Vrel, there's maybe 5 people who are genuinely helpful (which, to be fair, is more than 0) towards new contributors these days. Something something, teaching is harder than doing it yourself.
Now I'm way too interested in what scene even is that not to ask

Arkus86

Jun 3, 2018
Does anyone know if the developer has plans to add the possibility to punish Bailey and other scum? Don't really want to begin a new playthrough if I can't do shit to defend Robin and the others.
As far as I know, nothing like that is planned, especially not for Bailey who is clearly rather well connected with the underground.
There are ways to get rid of Whitney and Kylar, but that's it.

Feb 17, 2023
Now I'm way too interested in what scene even is that not to ask
^^'
I'm not going to share that.
But I can compare it to something I didn't write: the Leighton medical examinations.
They account for every single combination of male/female/herm + visual gender + "does leighton know", and have varying branches for each of those, reactions, etc., then even more checks for brattiness/meekness, etc.
If you wanted to add to that event, you'd need to do it for every single one of those versions, which is just an unbeginnable job. I think a friend of mine who was one of the three people that worked on it spent like a full week with their 3 man team on it, just to get that "little" event done.

Amhran

Mar 22, 2022
Yeah, I'm starting to get a pretty good idea of why most most sandbox games are like "you are this character, who is this gender, with this personality...but I guess you can like, change your hair style and clothes, I guess, and maybe make a few decisions". Scope and sanity!

Novaly

Sep 25, 2020
Just remembered why I last dropped this game, the amount of encouters is way too fucking high, litteraly cant do anything with at least 5 rape attempts, I wouldnt mind if you could skip it in some way but it just gets so annoying after some hours

Reactions: Aswiri
Feb 17, 2023
Just remembered why I last dropped this game, the amount of encouters is way too fucking high, litteraly cant do anything with at least 5 rape attempts, I wouldnt mind if you could skip it in some way but it just gets so annoying after some hours
You can tweak stuff in the settings.

Novaly

Sep 25, 2020
You can tweak stuff in the settings.
Im aware, im aware, but as it says it disable some achievement, not that im particularly hunting but i always find it fun to get one on accident. I'm also not sure wether lowering encounter rate simply means less chances of assault or just less chances of events, globally speaking, whenever going thru an area. If it includes the latter too that'd kinda suck as well.

Reactions: Doomdooom

Klolita

Jul 23, 2017
Don't want to jinx it but dev is probably stuck at the dead end with "you will never be an agressor" rule. So that's why game gets mostly some small additions from contributors and no big expansions. I mean, it's kinda hard to add something new when you're limited to activities like "you grind specific skill for this specific activity(optional) and get raped on defeat(mandatory)".
Nah it's cause the team is mostly volunteers and is mostly disjointed so any big expansion is being worked on by one person usually over months
Everyone else just does whatever they want so you get random additions and whatever they can scrounge up in release basically.

Reactions: LostPraetorian
Feb 17, 2023
Nah it's cause the team is mostly volunteers and is mostly disjointed so any big expansion is being worked on by one person usually over months
Everyone else just does whatever they want so you get random additions and whatever they can scrounge up in release basically.
I will agree that "lack of ideas" is generally not the issue.

MasterN64

Apr 29, 2020
^^'
I'm not going to share that.
But I can compare it to something I didn't write: the Leighton medical examinations.
They account for every single combination of male/female/herm + visual gender + "does leighton know", and have varying branches for each of those, reactions, etc., then even more checks for brattiness/meekness, etc.
If you wanted to add to that event, you'd need to do it for every single one of those versions, which is just an unbeginnable job. I think a friend of mine who was one of the three people that worked on it spent like a full week with their 3 man team on it, just to get that "little" event done.
This is exactly why whenever someone comes in the thread and just goes "But they should just write more stuff and add more features its so easy!" i end up blasting them. So many people have no idea how much work adding something "simple" is because they think that you can just slap it on the top with a post it note. The reality is that you have to rewrite MASSIVE amounts of the game if its going to be a core feature. Like if someone wanted assertive options then you have to go into every event and add checks for multiple character stats and situation tags on top of doing a massive rewrite of the basic combat mechanics.

We already went through a massive rewrite of a large portion of the code with preg content and people took that really well. Totally arent people STILL bitching about it and how long it took. Feature creep doesnt scale linearly it compounds on itself so another major addition is going to be even more painful.

4.50 star(s) 191 Votes