DEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
render with lighting and then make it darker in postwork

That's smarter than I was going to suggest, I was going to go on and on about what you can do with lighting, settings, sampling and bounce amounts, playing with exposure, and a wall of text for sure, but actually your solution is a lot better, no messing around with settings or improving quality means it doesn't take time to set up nor is the render any longer, and from my experience with photo editing, I know that you can get some pretty good results trying to do things like, make a room look like night time. The only time i can suggest actually trying to do more advance things with lighting and dark set ups, is when you have a night scene, where there is interesting lighting, (specifically, say light leaking through something, like under a door, or a flashlight in the woods, other than that your suggestion is tons better).

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
The only time i can suggest actually trying to do more advance things with lighting and dark set ups, is when you have a night scene, where there is interesting lighting, (specifically, say light leaking through something, like under a door, or a flashlight in the woods, other than that your suggestion is tons better).
Daz Iray struggles with low light. By rendering with better lighting you can avoid all sorts of problems. As for special lighting, there are a lot of things you can do in photoshop. Create a mask for your unique light. Adjusting in photoshop real-time tweaking, is much faster than waiting for re-renders. Take a look..

Some things are better handled in the render, some things are better done in photoshop, and much faster.
Using actions in photoshop, saves you from having to edit every image one by one. You can do one edit, and apply the same effect to all the renders for that scene.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I remember with Disney, there was a whole seminar on how they wanted to use 12 ray bounces for Big Hero 6 to get the lighting/artistic style they wanted. I tried that, and it certainly helps with low level quality (allowing more indirect lighting to allow for softer light fill), same with lowering the indirect light max value cap (not sure if this is something that can be done with daz, I play with blender more often) to minimize noise as a result of having to focus on more light bounces, and playing with camera exposure and gamma, but I wouldn't recommend it. 12 rays isn't bad, but I use branch path tracing to improve inderect light quality, and to minimize noise, but it takes a lot more time to render, at best I only use 3 and may may may 4 braches, but with 50 to 200 samples per pixel, each ray bouncing 12 times, and each bounce creating 3 new rays each, well that is basically exponential. easily a 4-minute render could take a good part of the night to next day. It looks like your video has the different passes exported out. I know blender can do a similar thing. I don't use photshop, I use gimp, which can do a lot of the similar stuff. I also know blender can composite based on passes, so that these effects can be recreated in the same 3D program.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Can't see anything.
And the light doesn't work.
I have Dome Environment settings at the scene
Not sure if "Can't see anything" means in the viewport or in the final render. If it's the viewport that's the problem, pressing Ctrl+L will turn on "Preview Lights" which will allow you to see things in the viewport. Essentially, if you _only_ have lighting from the Dome in the scene, Daz doesn't take that into account in the viewport.

If you're more specific about the problem, we can guide you better.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Make a big plane (or however you usually light a scene) and change the emession color to dark blue.

Blue darkness is a technique used a lot in the movie industry. So much that people won't even notice anything odd is happening

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
As Rich said, Ctrl+L will turn the light in the viewport on and off.
To get a dark scene go to Render settings -> Tone mapping -> and up the exposure value or play with the film ISO until you're happy with the result (changes will only be visible in the render, not in the viewport).

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
There's also a good tutorial on how to set up a scene to look like night here: