• Marion

Votes: 99 13.6%
  • Sabrina

Votes: 85 11.6%

• Total voters

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Welp, i'm having some issues with Renpy.
It doesn't allow me to build distributions of the game. I'm pretty much done with this update, but since the program itself doesn't let me do anything -not even launch the game- I have no idea what to do.

I probably will place this game onhold while I figure out what the heck is going on.
Thank you all for your patience, I apologise.
Oof. Maybe @anne O'nymous or someone else who's experienced with ren'py would be willing to help you out? That sucks, hope you get it sorted out soon man.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] but since the program itself doesn't let me do anything -not even launch the game- I have no idea what to do.
It surely give you some information about the problem, it's exceptional that Ren'py let you in the dark about the problem. Isn't there something in the error.txt and/or traceback.txt files ? Either in the game project folder, or in the Ren'py's SDK one.

Reactions: yoyomistro

Rando Civ

LMFAO.
Game Developer
Jul 31, 2017
It surely give you some information about the problem, it's exceptional that Ren'py let you in the dark about the problem. Isn't there something in the error.txt and/or traceback.txt files ? Either in the game project folder, or in the Ren'py's SDK one.
Thank you very much for this, man. I appreciate it.
Nope, Renpy is letting me completely in the dark. No Error Messages, nothing.
I try to launch the novel and all I get is:

"Launching the Project Failed"
"Please ensure that your project launches normally before running this command."

Issue is that I get nothing. It's weird as shit, because I try other examples and they work just fine.

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
@Rando Civ
Same thing happened to me with Renpy SDK 7.2.2 and Summertime Saga when I wanted to open it to see if I could get it to allow me to run un.rpyc because blocks were put in place in the game code to prevent you from generating rpy files. All to look at a couple files to see if I could fix a bug.

Rando Civ

LMFAO.
Game Developer
Jul 31, 2017
@Rando Civ
Same thing happened to me with Renpy SDK 7.2.2 and Summertime Saga when I wanted to open it to see if I could get it to allow me to run un.rpyc because blocks were put in place in the game code to prevent you from generating rpy files. All to look at a couple files to see if I could fix a bug.
Well, it did happened after I tried to fix a couple of bugs.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
"Launching the Project Failed"
"Please ensure that your project launches normally before running this command."
And from what you said previously, I get that the project don't launches but also don't give you more information about the error, right ?

Normally, building the distribution without checking the "force recompile" option should let you, well... build the distribution. It will change nothing at the main problem, but at least it will let you advance.
If it works, try to start the game not from the SDK, but from the distribution, to see if it start or not, and if this time it give you some information regarding the problem. If it give you more information, you should be able to understand what's wrong. If it don't, you can still release it, warning that it's an unstable distribution ; then you'll have an army of players that will play it, and at least one should end with a traceback or something that can give a hint.
If it don't works, try to delete the persistent files (click on "delete persistent" in the SDK), then try to "force recompile" (right under the "delete persistent") the files. Then try to launch it from the SDK, and/or to build the distribution.

At last option, there's Voodoo bug tracking. In the Ren'py's default storing directory ("user/[you]/AppAdata/Roaming/RenP" on Windows) you have a "backups" directory, where you'll find the backup of your project ; a shit ton of files.
Copy all those files somewhere else, to not be confused by the backup process itself. Then create a new blank project, to not mess with you game. You'll now have to use this new project to revert your code right before the instant it refused to launch.
For this, use the help of the file date, and starting for the most recent, move the files into the new project directory. It will be a pain in the ass, but it's the best way to effectively find the source of the error.
Once you've found the instant things goes wrong, and the file where the error is, use something like to identify the difference between this version of the file and the one right after it. Then, add these differences line by line (as much as possible), until the moment the game stop to launch.
It will not explicitly solve the problem, but at least you'll have what Ren'py don't tell you, the origin of this problem.

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
@anne O'nymous Not sure if this is a contributing factor or not (I'm a Ren'Py rookie too), but the script.rpy is about 27MB. I'm working with Rando to hopefully parameterize much of the code and chunk out dialogue into blocks and labels. At this point, everything is just copied and pasted over and over again, so there is a lot of redundancy I'm trying to remove. There's about 212,000 lines of code though, so it's a lengthy process. o_O If you have any advice for this process, it would be appreciated. While I do have programming experience, I'm still very new to both Ren'Py and Python. Feel free to DM if you want - no need to pollute the game thread with nerd talk ;)

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
@Rando Civ
@anne O'nymous Not sure if this is a contributing factor or not (I'm a Ren'Py rookie too), but the script.rpy is about 27MB.
Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. But the practice isn't always like the theory. One way to eliminate this possibility, or solve the problem if it was its cause, is simply to split the code in two.
Firstly, keep a copy of the "script.rpy" file somewhere (not in the "game" directory) just to be safe. Then create a second rpy file, "script1.rpy" by example, but for this the name don't really matter. In this file, create a label name "temporaryFix" (once again the name don't really matter). This done, choose one point in the middle of the file "script.rpy" file, preferably a dialog line to facilitate the works. Select from this line, to the end of the file. Copy/paste to the second file, cut from the "script.rpy" file and replace it by jump temporaryFix. Then save both files and try to launch the game.

There's about 212,000 lines of code though, so it's a lengthy process. o_O
Ootch. Even games like Sakura Dungeon don't have this much lines ; which isn't a criticism. whatever people (including me) can say, writing a game with Ren'py is still coding, so something that isn't necessarily easy when you don't have a previous background in this field.
There's surely way to reduce this number. There's many way to do this and reuse part of the code, but not all apply to all case. So, I'll wait for the next release (once this problem will be solved), to have a fresh view of the code, and take a look at it. Then I'll pm you.

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
@Rando Civ

Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. But the practice isn't always like the theory. One way to eliminate this possibility, or solve the problem if it was its cause, is simply to split the code in two.
Firstly, keep a copy of the "script.rpy" file somewhere (not in the "game" directory) just to be safe. Then create a second rpy file, "script1.rpy" by example, but for this the name don't really matter. In this file, create a label name "temporaryFix" (once again the name don't really matter). This done, choose one point in the middle of the file "script.rpy" file, preferably a dialog line to facilitate the works. Select from this line, to the end of the file. Copy/paste to the second file, cut from the "script.rpy" file and replace it by jump temporaryFix. Then save both files and try to launch the game.
Ok cool, that's what I'm trying to do with Rando's script at the moment. The large script.rpy is creating a perceptible lag in the loading (it's takes about 20-30 seconds to load the game). I just wanted to make sure that wasn't causing other problems for Rando if he's looking to release another version prior to the code refresh I'm working on.

Ootch. Even games like Sakura Dungeon don't have this much lines ; which isn't a criticism. whatever people (including me) can say, writing a game with Ren'py is still coding, so something that isn't necessarily easy when you don't have a previous background in this field.
There's surely way to reduce this number. There's many way to do this and reuse part of the code, but not all apply to all case. So, I'll wait for the next release (once this problem will be solved), to have a fresh view of the code, and take a look at it. Then I'll pm you.
Great, that's what I'm planning on doing, so I'm happy to know I'm on the right track. I'm hoping to have a preliminary partial version ready by the end of the week. I'll send you a PM then and you can tell me if I'm helping or just making things worse. ;) Thanks for the help!

Rando Civ

LMFAO.
Game Developer
Jul 31, 2017
We are currently reworking the code. So, and beg you I don't want to sound rude, as soon as we are done.

Reactions: allintine

KastGamer

Jun 29, 2018
We are currently reworking the code. So, and beg you I don't want to sound rude, as soon as we are done.
aight thats all i wante to know btw 1 more thing i said this awhile ago i dont know where your going with your game but i realy like that mom and dad divorce route i realy hope that goes somwhere in the next updates with the mom getting pregnant from her son the mc ? also preggo sext is that maybe a thing ? i have been thinking about this for awhile

gtz-god

Jan 4, 2019
great good but 5 mouth it take it time but i see how it will take so long and long with the way it make if they going to make a harem you need to chose your way carefully because eve soul partly broken by that dick and with a harem part of they add it not all the people will be in it unless taking care of with love

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
Since some people are seeking updates on the game status, let me give you an idea of where things are right now. I've been working with Rando Civ to do a massive overhaul of the existing code in the game. Initially, there were over 200,000 lines of code, 5 distinct character paths, and up to 12 choices per path. Because Rando was new to Ren'Py and was not familiar with using variables, conditional logic or labels, he was cutting and pasting scenes for each path. As you can imagine, this became too complex to maintain and I offered to work with him to recode the entire game while he developed new content. I had to review the 200k lines of code, determine how the paths branched out (there are hundreds of individual paths), and create a mapping document so I could eliminate redundant code and streamline the implementation. This was a difficult and extremely time-consuming process because I did not want to risk losing any aspect of the game's script.

I'm happy to say that most of that work has been completed and I'm in the process of recoding the game. I'm implementing a code structure that should allow future updates to be easier to implement and allow them to come more frequently, hopefully. A release should be coming in the next few weeks. I'll talk with Rando to see if we can include some new content with that release to make up for the wait.

Like Rando, I'd ask for your patience as we work to rerelease the game. This project has been a massive undertaking, but we are nearing the end. While I can't give you a specific date, I can say that I believe we will have something to release within the next few weeks. Thanks for your support and enthusiasm! We hope it will be worth the wait!

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Since some people are seeking updates on the game status, let me give you an idea of where things are right now. I've been working with Rando Civ to do a massive overhaul of the existing code in the game. Initially, there were over 200,000 lines of code, 5 distinct character paths, and up to 12 choices per path. Because Rando was new to Ren'Py and was not familiar with using variables, conditional logic or labels, he was cutting and pasting scenes for each path. As you can imagine, this became too complex to maintain and I offered to work with him to recode the entire game while he developed new content. I had to review the 200k lines of code, determine how the paths branched out (there are hundreds of individual paths), and create a mapping document so I could eliminate redundant code and streamline the implementation. This was a difficult and extremely time-consuming process because I did not want to risk losing any aspect of the game's script.

I'm happy to say that most of that work has been completed and I'm in the process of recoding the game. I'm implementing a code structure that should allow future updates to be easier to implement and allow them to come more frequently, hopefully. A release should be coming in the next few weeks. I'll talk with Rando to see if we can include some new content with that release to make up for the wait.

Like Rando, I'd ask for your patience as we work to rerelease the game. This project has been a massive undertaking, but we are nearing the end. While I can't give you a specific date, I can say that I believe we will have something to release within the next few weeks. Thanks for your support and enthusiasm! We hope it will be worth the wait!
Holy cow, I haven't actually played the game yet, I just keep track of the updates. If I had I would have told him about coding options a long time ago... Glad you've taken it upon yourself to help him, and good luck to both of you going forward.

Deleted member 997153

I am a meat popsicle
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2018
All the code has been rewritten and the script has been cleaned up. Also, Gwen's path has been completed (I believe) and will be included in the re-release as new content. I'm currently wrapping up my playtesting of the various paths which I hope to have finished this week. Then, I'll hand it off to Rando to check things over and then post to the thread.

I'm sorry about the delay. I know we were shooting to have this out back in July, but I got bogged down with putting my house up for sale so home improvement has been eating up a lot of the free time I was spending on the game. But suffice to say we're close and you'll most likely see a new release in the next week. Thanks for your patience!

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
All the code has been rewritten and the script has been cleaned up. Also, Gwen's path has been completed (I believe) and will be included in the re-release as new content. I'm currently wrapping up my playtesting of the various paths which I hope to have finished this week. Then, I'll hand it off to Rando to check things over and then post to the thread.

I'm sorry about the delay. I know we were shooting to have this out back in July, but I got bogged down with putting my house up for sale so home improvement has been eating up a lot of the free time I was spending on the game. But suffice to say we're close and you'll most likely see a new release in the next week. Thanks for your patience!
Thanks for putting in so much of your free time to help Rando with this project, I for one appreciate it, and wish him the best on this project! Unfortunately I still haven't played it yet, but it's on my list.

3.40 star(s) 19 Votes