Depart from MC's POV in a VN?

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
I don't think I've ever encountered this in a visual novel, but of course in a normal text novel it's common to switch between the protagonist's POV and events happening elsewhere to other characters that don't directly involve that protagonist. In the VN I'm developing I'd like to sometimes switch away from the MC's POV to show events the MC would not be aware of but would make the story more interesting to the player. Do you think this is okay, or should I avoid that? These are concurrent events, not time jumps, flashbacks or anything like that.

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
Sure, why not? There are no rules in creative work. You might piss off some of your target audience, but in exchange, you could attract others to your work.

Whale_Shark

Talking Shark. Developer of Confidence Man
Game Developer
Sep 12, 2020
I don't think it's a problem. I've seen it before in plenty of VNs.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I'm doing a dual protagonist VN, and while there was some that voiced their dislike of it (most were respectful about it, though, just saying it wasn't to their taste. Which I can totally understand), it was the way I wanted to write it and that isn't going to change. Changing your game/VN based on your audience's wants is a quick way to doom your game/VN.

In short, it's your story. You choose how you want to write it.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
There are many "non" multi-protag game that jump away from the MC pov, most of the ones i've played jump to the LI's pov for short spans and it works really well in most cases. It can give the player a feeling of more control over the story and can also be a good way to add avoidable content.
Also like the other replies have said it is your story and you should feel free to be creative, you can't please everyone but make sure you please yourself.

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
I appreciate everyone's feedback. Just trying to benefit from the depths of gaming/VN experience of the members, most of whom are more experienced than me in this!

I agree that a creator should follow his/her instincts and vision. However I'd also be a fool not to seek/value the opinions of others.

Thanks

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Taffy tales changed its entire beginning and core premise based on the audience feedback and is currently one of the most popular games, so not true.
And the author of Ethan's legacy killed his game and had a mental breakdown because he did the same. This while hundreds of games just ended abandoned because their author tried to follow players' feedback but totally failed to appropriate the story as it became because of this.
As implied MissFortune , it's the exception that confirm the rule.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
If you are telling a story from the MC's point of view don't do it, if you are just telling a general story you can do what you want. Remember there are two types of novels.

1 I walked out on that summer's day and I couldn't seed anyone. I wonder where Mary is and if she is lezzing off either twin sister again.

2 Colin walked out on that summer's day, he couldn't see any one as they were all at the supermarket, except for Mary.
I know it's wrong Mary thought as she licked her sisters clit.....

The MC has no idea where Mary is and what she is doing.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
If you are telling a story from the MC's point of view don't do it, if you are just telling a general story you can do what you want.
I wouldn't be as strict as you.

More than putting the limit at "MC's point of view", I would put it as the player point of view since the question is to decide if the player have the right to know more than the MC, or not. After all, there's (way too) many games that are already doing this. Except that instead of showing us a scene where the MC do not appear, they show us the thoughts of the characters.
This is something totally legit, and used in table RPG, but also in video games, books and movies. You've the full book/movie that tell you the story from the point of view of the hero, but in the same time that make you anticipate his reaction, or build the tension, by showing you what is happening behind the scene.
If you take a trend reintroduced by George R. R. Martin, the killable main characters, imagine the effect on the player if he know that the whole group is walking right into a trap. They'll perhaps not all get out alive... Yet, despite this the story can still be presented from the point of view of the MC.

All this being said, it would not works with all adult games. It need to effectively add something to the experience, what is rarely the case with the characters' thoughts. But with a story that have a (relative) suspense, or a slow build, it can effectively add something. This especially since the game is generally released by update, in which case it permit to keep the player hooked to the story.

Reactions: Mikethe3DGuy

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
If you are telling a story from the MC's point of view don't do it, if you are just telling a general story you can do what you want. Remember there are two types of novels.

I wouldn't be as strict as you.

More than putting the limit at "MC's point of view", I would put it as the player point of view since the question is to decide if the player have the right to know more than the MC, or not.
Yes, thanks mickydoo and anne. To me it boils down to: should I treat the MC and player as the same entity or not? The problem I have is that there are several things I want the player to understand about some of the characters so they have a deeper understanding of them. At the same time I need to be careful that this behind-the-scenes info won't spoil decisions their MC is faced with down the line. But that's MY problem: it's risky and I could mess it up.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Yes, thanks mickydoo and anne. To me it boils down to: should I treat the MC and player as the same entity or not? The problem I have is that there are several things I want the player to understand about some of the characters so they have a deeper understanding of them. At the same time I need to be careful that this behind-the-scenes info won't spoil decisions their MC is faced with down the line. But that's MY problem: it's risky and I could mess it up.
Both options have their positives and negatives, like every other writing style. There's many examples of authors jumping from first to third person, but books have the advantage of using as many chapters as they want/need to use that point of view change, which inherently gives them the ability to change narration styles, and thus differentiating the protagonist from the new narrator. If this is something you choose to do, you need to make it clear that this isn't the protagonists POV as soon as you can. Whether that's through dialogue of other characters, showing a location in a different area you mentioned at some point earlier in the game, or something else entirely. And if you're doing any kind of consistent time travel, it's something I highly recommend against.

The problem with this is that it takes a skilled writer to transition between the two POVs cleanly, and even better one to make it seem natural without head-hopping. That's not to say you aren't capable of doing it, but it's something you yourself need to decide.

As for your last point, it's hard to give an answer as I don't know the details. Once again, subtly is your friend. There's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping clues for the player/viewer when it comes to a meaningful choice, especially so for a right or wrong choice/answer. More perceptive players make pick up on them, but others may not. Again, hard to give an accurate example without knowing much, but it doesn't have to hit the player in the face. A bit more nuanced in the writing department, for sure. But if you're afraid of revealing something about the MCs choices later on, then skirt around it. Have the conversation be interrupted, bring in some conflict that's related to the overarching conflict of the plot, or trail off the conversation and move back to the protagonist.

At the end of the day, it's about what you want to do and where you think your skill level as a writer is. Regardless of the good advice given above, it's only a choice you can make.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
Both options have their positives and negatives, like every other writing style. There's many examples of authors jumping from first to third person, but books have the advantage of using as many chapters as they want/need to use that point of view change, which inherently gives them the ability to change narration styles, and thus differentiating the protagonist from the new narrator. If this is something you choose to do, you need to make it clear that this isn't the protagonists POV as soon as you can. Whether that's through dialogue of other characters, showing a location in a different area you mentioned at some point earlier in the game, or something else entirely. And if you're doing any kind of consistent time travel, it's something I highly recommend against.

The problem with this is that it takes a skilled writer to transition between the two POVs cleanly, and even better one to make it seem natural without head-hopping. That's not to say you aren't capable of doing it, but it's something you yourself need to decide.
Thanks. I would really only have the MC's POV and "the narrator". Narrator would be indicated by a change in font or text color that sets it apart significantly from all other speech/thought. I would think that would be enough without any special writing artifice needed.

Baka_Energy_studios

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
I change between them. POV when it gets personal, coversations, observations and sex ... mostly.
And third person when everything else is shown. Having the whole story from POV restricts you from choosing
"cool" looking camera angels to freshen up the look of the VN/game in certain situations. A punch to the face looks different in POV than a shot from the outside showing bodymovement, impact, expression ... maybe the reaction of another person witnessing the punch or maybe an effect on the environment when MC gets punched through a wall.

Mikethe3DGuy

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2019
I change between them. POV when it gets personal, coversations, observations and sex ... mostly.
And third person when everything else is shown. Having the whole story from POV restricts you from choosing
"cool" looking camera angels to freshen up the look of the VN/game in certain situations. A punch to the face looks different in POV than a shot from the outside showing bodymovement, impact, expression ... maybe the reaction of another person witnessing the punch or maybe an effect on the environment when MC gets punched through a wall.
Sorry I could have been clearer. I don't mean visual POV but story POV.

K.T.L.

Keeping Families Together
Donor
Mar 5, 2019
I really don't like the 'narrator' idea. It'a akin to breaking the fourth wall and it will most probably jolt a player/reader out of their immersion. Far better to find a way for your protagonist to somehow show what's going on rather than having to go into third party (ghostly voices?) explanations. Slipping into the PoV of another character in the game is a completely different thing and can work well if done carefully.

It's done quite well in A Wife and Mother where you're playing from Sophia's PoV but when she's spying on the girls at the pool, you briefly switch to the girls and direct their actions.