Desired render

• Thread starter Deleted member 1063287
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1063287

I was just looking at some comics and noticed a style I like. The characters seem almost cartoony and have vibrant colors. Does anyone know how to achieve this look?

D

Deleted member 1063287

Will that make the skin smooth aswell or is that somethin else?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Saturation is only for the colors.
To get smoother skin, you can do that within DAZ3D... I would guess it has to do with normal maps.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Yeah, saturation (or a higher contrast LUT)

The character also looks to have a bit of an outline, this could be achieved with a fresnel shader effect (at least so most edges of the character have a bit of outlining effect to them), or with an image editing program. I explain a similar effect here, but for the above image you might want to match the outline with a mild dark red, desaturated background.

Now the breast look to be a bit paler than the more redder hues of the shoulders and hip area, this is typical of daz textures, I don't know which texture they are using exactly. Most daz textures have a lot of freckles and 'dirt' to make the skin look less perfect and more realistic, I don't think I have seen a texture this clean of these natural blemish detailing, the cleanest I have is Tess but that tries to be a cartoon character. I would really like to know what texture is being used since I want to do more toon like toon characters and most daz textures look terrible on toony styles.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Don't do that kind of render but you can try few things. Remove any bump/disp/normal maps if the skin have ones. In render setting oversaturate, push the gaussian pixel filter quite high and use denoiser to 'bleach' skin detail even more. Doing a blurr pass on the color map with PS could work too (as well as adjusting RGB curve for the skin tone). For soft shadows, a large rectangle emessive/spolight from far away, or a large sun disk scale should do the trick. That's what come to mind.

D

Deleted member 1063287

Don't do that kind of render but you can try few things. Remove any bump/disp/normal maps if the skin have ones. In render setting oversaturate, push the gaussian pixel filter quite high and use denoiser to 'bleach' skin detail even more. Doing a blurr pass on the color map with PS could work too (as well as adjusting RGB curve for the skin tone). For soft shadows, a large rectangle emessive/spolight from far away, or a large sun disk scale should do the trick. That's what come to mind.
Yes that did it, thanks.