Unity - Desktop Garage Kit [v2.0.6] [1UP Games]

1. 2.00 star(s)

Playfulpetfox

v1.1.5

The idea is, I think, neat. However, in its current state, there's not much going on. It has potential, but potential doesn't much matter if it's never realized.

First and foremost, the UI is just dreadful. It actually looks nice and contained, but there is no good way to navigate anything. It seems intent on just having you click through upwards of 150 different poses, animations, items, etc. You're left to just hope that one is good, and if you choose to keep looking, you best hope you have the time and patience to get back to it. There is no visual UI for navigating items, poses, animations, or anything other than the girls themselves. The weirdest thing is that the girls are listed under the settings, yet you can change them using a menu that is, much like everything else, empty.

UI aside, the animations themselves are very, very stiff. This, on its own, is fine. Nobody expects a small indie studio to suddenly have perfect animations, myself included, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be mentioned. Everything done is robotic and slow, making it seem very close to an actual robot's movement. Eyes close like blast doors or heavy metal shutters. Arms move like robots executing an action, not like characters that are supposed to "break barriers". It's all stiff and in need of a lot of polish.

I don't know if the "adult mode" is a joke or not. Genuinely can't tell if it's a meme, because when I do it, it puts more clothes on the girls, not less. Sometimes you get something promiscuous, but overall, they go from nude to clothed. I ran through the code at least 10 times, and nothing of note ever happened. Just bikinis, bras, or lingerie. The default model is nude. It became less adult right off the bat, and no other options were unlocked.

Lastly, we have the purpose. They don't...do anything. You can't really 'interact' with them yet, so I don't see who this is for. If they ran around or did cute things, sure. There's appeal there. But they don't. They just stand there, and even if you let them automatically run through animations, there's nothing coherent about it. One moment, they'll be jankily posing for a camera, then the next, rubbing at an invisible pebis with their foot.

This entire project seems like a rush job intent on getting out ASAP, rather than coming out as a functional labor of love. If this were free, I'd be less harsh, but it's 5$ on steam. This is not a free product, yet it's far from ready to be charging people. This feels like a demo with even less impact than most games made for a game jam in 24 hours. Nothing is even polished, let alone finished enough to give a view into what his might be.

Are you supposed to sex the bots? Just watch them? Customize them and let them stand there? Programs like that already exist, and even the worst iterations still have more. This is, in a word, weird. It doesn't currently serve any purpose other than fleeting intrigue, and even that would cost the normal person 5$ for maybe 5 minutes of use.