[Dev] Which RPGmaker should I use?

Abuzze

Oct 22, 2020
So far I've played a bunch of RPGmaker games, and the engine appealed to me with its flexibility - there are classic top-down RPG games, puzzle games, evel first-person games that are possible to create. I've decided to try my hand at making a game using RPGmaker. However, there are a lot of versions on the market - some basic, some advanced, some inbetween it seems. Not even sure which ones are even free or not.

So, what version of RPGmaker should I use? I've got a decent amount of programming experience, so complexity is not an issue, and flexibility/features are a priority. Thank you.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Not sure I would call RPGM flexible tho. Ain't an expert but most used should be MV or the most recent MZ. They don't have much difference features wise, iirc. MZ got some layering feature but it ain't gonna change much if you plan to use parallax mapping. Got also a cool "effect generator" (effekseer), but main difference is plug-ins availability imo (MV got more because older). But not sure you're interested if you go on coding your own. There is ACE (even older) but never really looked into it.