Developer Owned Game Threads - Rules Around Releases

DreamingAway

Aug 24, 2022
I'm sure this is in the rules - but I couldn't find it..

Does F95 allow a developer to own their own game's thread and only release demo's or unpaid versions of their game - effectively cutting off anyone from uploading the full game?

Just curious, I am noticing that recently several developers are starting a game release thread - mainly to advertise their patreon - but then posting only demo's / trailed versions / censored versions.. essentially the public version of the game..

When I look at other threads though I will see that a developer might "own" the thread, but the releases are coming outside their consent and there is usually a message like "I don't condone this, but I want to participate in the community.."

Then in the third instance I'll see someone else owning the thread and the developer is just casually posting in it.

Are there any hard set rules around this?
Is a developer allowed to release the public version only at their leisure - until such time as someone else decides they want to release the whole thing - then the developer has to "deal with it" - or if they start the thread first do they just decide what's allowed?

Just curious.

Reactions: thefee

bobdickgus

Apr 9, 2020
If someone uploads a newer paid version it will be updated in the thread, if the dev deletes it they can then lose control of editing the thread AFAIK.

Reactions: DreamingAway

DreamingAway

Aug 24, 2022
If the user just posts the update using the acceptable file hosts as a post in the thread, will the staff automatically add it to the original post of the thread?

Or you have to @ them?

If it did get deleted, do you have to report the thread owner?

Can a thread owner ban you from the thread?

thanks for the reply really helpful!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
If the user just posts the update using the acceptable file hosts as a post in the thread, will the staff automatically add it to the original post of the thread?

Or you have to @ them?

You have to report the thread with the new link, then it gets automatically updated.
If the thread owner messes up with the links, you can report the thread and specify the reason and they will look into it.
Thread owners cannot delete messages nor ban.

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018

Or you have to @ them?

If you provide a link in the thread and report it one of us will get to it eventually. No need to @ anyone just report the links and we will do the rest.

Links cannot be deleted from your post by a developer as they do not have permissions to do that. They can however DMCA your links and some do. Best thing you can do if you are worried about sharing a link is to message an uploader with the links and ask them to upload it on your behalf if the developer is DMCA happy or you prefer to remain anonymous.

DreamingAway

Aug 24, 2022
Thanks that clears it up a lot.

They can however DMCA your links and some do. Best thing you can do if you are worried about sharing a link is to message an uploader with the links and ask them to upload it on your behalf if the developer is DMCA happy or you prefer to remain anonymous.
Does F95 have rules against this?
It feels like a two-way street, if a developer is leveraging this website for marketing and engagement.. then shouldn't they be forbidden from attacking users / content on the site with DMCA claims?

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
Thanks that clears it up a lot.

Does F95 have rules against this?
It feels like a two-way street, if a developer is leveraging this website for marketing and engagement.. then shouldn't they be forbidden from attacking users / content on the site with DMCA claims?
No we do not have a rule against it nor would we because it is a part of the world of internet piracy. Anyone can file a DMCA claim on some file hosting platforms so punishing a developer for something they may or may not have done is heavy handed. Besides it already is a two way street indirectly. We upload any links we get regardless of what the developer wishes and they DMCA if they want to regardless of what we want. I see that as fair lol.