Development & tags - Character creation

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
I'm creating a text RPG game where you can customize the protagonist's personality traits. Nothing physical, just personality traits really. I use the "Character creation " tag for this.

Objectively question: Should the "Character creation " tag be used only for physical customizations of the protag, or can it also be used for personality customizations only?

Last edited:

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
No such tag here? The tag "Character creation" is for creating characters.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Well this is another tag that isn't well defined since it doesn't states exactly what creating a character encompasses:
  • Character Creation [Used when a game allows the user to create his/her own character (not naming).]
On the technical side you probably can use the tag, but I'm not sure if people that found your game because of that tag would be happy if the character creation was limited to only picking a few random perks at the start and then you used a generic mc during the scenes.

So personally I would not use it, but you probably can pick and choose yourself since you are in a gray zone that could be argued both ways.

Reactions: Airell

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
Well this is another tag that isn't well defined since it doesn't states exactly what creating a character encompasses:
  • Character Creation [Used when a game allows the user to create his/her own character (not naming).]
On the technical side you probably can use the tag, but I'm not sure if people that found your game because of that tag would be happy if the character creation was limited to only picking a few random perks at the start and then you used a generic mc during the scenes.

So personally I would not use it, but you probably can pick and choose yourself since you are in a gray zone that could be argued both ways.
I've been thinking the exact same thing. Those attracted to this tag want broader things than merely picking out personality traits. I removed this from my thread, thanks.

Reactions: Meaning Less

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If I remember correctly this game also lets you pick up perks at the start and has stats to level as you play but it still doesn't have the character creation tag either.

So it is probably better not to use it.

Last edited:

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
IMO context matters. The controversy would be... expected for a graphical game, but for a text-based game the tag makes perfect sense.

For a poorly defined tag like this, to me it makes more sense to elaborate on why it was selected (special spoiler in OP, perhaps with request for feedback regarding its appropriateness) rather than avoid using it altogether.