VN Development tips.

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
Soo..I didn't know where else to put this, so it landed here. If that's not the correct place, please someone move it.

That aside, this is a thread for me (or others interested into it) for tips for developing a VN. I basically wanted to start one mostly for rendering but I thought others may have a need for questions to be answered that are not specific to rendering, or specific to what I am trying to achieve.

For me, I have a story mostly ready, characters sheets done and all but before I actually start developing, I want to at least get an idea for the artistic style I'm going for.
If someone has seen my posts at 'Show us your DAZ skill' will probably understand I'm going for realism, and while this isn't actually true, it is a starting point for me.

Since my VN is not going to be a sex sandbox but a dark adult story that includes sex, I want an art style that would compliment it. And without going into boring details, I am targeting something that as a base it uses photorealism but with an added layer of dark surrealism, which I am pretty sure is not something I can manage from simply Daz and Iray and will probably need a lot of custom work in Blender or even Houdini to achieve. I know how to use either of those programs, but what I do not know is whether Cycles gives better results than Daz/Iray on a figure imported using diffeomorphic, because I'd like to keep the character creation inside Daz as much as possible. If not, I can render a character layer on Iray, do the rest on my software of choice and Photoshop the renders together, but I'd like to avoid that.

So basically I suppose my basic questions to get started are:
1) Is cycles better than iray when transfering a character through diffeomorphic? And if so, I expect the materials to need a touchup, but how much work would it normally take for something like a skin shader to work properly? Little touchup or I have to recreate the entire shader for cycles?
2) Any chance smoke/fire sims from Houdini to work inside Daz? (I don't need the full simulations, just to use some frames layered on my scene for the renders)
3) Any actually good skin shader in Daz? I'm using 8.1 and Victoria's shader, but I can never get hands or feet to look realistic and the vellus hair are hit or miss for me. (probably doing something very wrong myself and it's not an issue with the assets themselves.)

PS. Myself I have no need for anything that doesn't work with 8.1, but that doesn't mean this thread is limited to that, if someone else wants to ask a question for another base.
Also, if anyone else wants to use this thread to ask questions feel free to attach renders for examples or to showcase an issue or a solution, but please don't use it to showcase your art. There are other threads for that.

As for me, for the time being I'll keep my questions (or solutions I come across) related to rendering until I can achieve the look I'm going for. And while I'd prefer it to stay that way so it's easier to navigate as a thread, that shouldn't stop anyone who wants to ask something related to programming or asset creation.

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
By "a dark adult story that includes sex" do you mean like The Anax games?
No, not quite, unless he's done something similar that I've missed.
Mine's a story based on a CP universe, when I say 'dark adult' I meant the themes it touches.

Things like manipulation, exploitation, blackmail, some deep philosophical commentary based on Nitzsche and Hegel about the master and the slave dynamic (not literally) and the consciousness and lack of dialectic, coercion and the lengths people will go to and things they'll do to either survive or protect their lifestyle. Prostitution (forced or not), rape, death, the works.

Imagine a Film Noir type of cast in a cyberpunk setting that draws from the darkest manifestations of our society and brings them to the breaking point. As for art style, think black and white chiaroscuro at parts with dark surrealistic imagery based on Morrison's lyrics and poems among other artists like Dio, Ozzy or Therion and a visual style of Bauhaus for the middle-income areas, flat out slums for the poor areas and James Turell inspired style and architecture for the rich areas.

It will be more about the social commentary than the sex, but I don't think you can say a story like that without it being a major part of both the story and the worldbuilding.

And yes, I know it will take a lot of time (most of it dedicated to creating custom assets) and I'm not in a hurry to finish it in a year. I just want to create a good Visual Novel, regardless of how long it takes me.

7thCloud

Sep 17, 2020
Things like manipulation, exploitation, blackmail, some deep philosophical commentary based on Nitzsche and Hegel about the master and the slave dynamic (not literally) and the consciousness and lack of dialectic, coercion and the lengths people will go to and things they'll do to either survive or protect their lifestyle. Prostitution (forced or not), rape, death, the works.

And yes, I know it will take a lot of time (most of it dedicated to creating custom assets) and I'm not in a hurry to finish it in a year. I just want to create a good Visual Novel, regardless of how long it takes me.
That's a very promising project.
I bookmarked this thread, I would love to see some renders one day and to follow its future development (but it will probably take a lot of time).
I wish you all the luck.