Others [DevThread] Short Animation in Maya/Blender

Sep 5, 2017
What is this?
This is a devlog for a very small scale project. As I'm working alone the hope is that the small scope of the project will likely end in a successful completion. Many projects often get abandoned. I'd like to finish something for once in my life.

What are you making?
I'm making a very short animation clip of a model walking down a runway, and then posing in front of a sports car.

Why you're doing this?
I randomly saw a pic of a sport car in front of a jumbotron ( ). It's a simple pic but just by looking at that pic all sorts of ideas emerged in my head. I envisioned a busty girl walking out on stage and posing in front of the car with hip hop music playing in the background. (my mind is weird)
As I've been learning modeling/animating in Maya, and dabbling in Blender, I've been looking for a small project of some sorts to combine all of my knowledge. This seems like a good opportunity to bring my random thoughts into fruition.
Some times I get bored and stop working on things. A publicized devlog is a weird way of holding myself accountable and keeping me motivating.

This seems silly...
This is a complicated process as I'm sorta new to the whole 3D thing. This project involves the use of multiple applications (daz studio, maya, blender) and I'd like to finish things for once in my life.

References

Model

Car/Stage

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
Good luck! Indeed getting a grasp in the feeling of finishing things it's important.

Maybe put a bit of attention to the normal maps of the girl's skin in order to avoid that plastic look for now. Personally I always found ebony skins very tricky, it's hard to find the proper light and material settings some times....

Reactions: TheAnointedOne
Sep 5, 2017
June 24, 2023

Very unproductive week. I blame Apex Legends

The skin doesn't look right because I'm doing daz -> Maya -> Blender

When you go daz -> blender via the diffeomorphic tool, the plugin does alot of stuff in the background to ensure that the materials look correct.

In spite of this I think I managed to fix the materials in blender by simply lowering the specularity

Learned the cloth simulation in blender

Learned about driver keys (allowing the car's rotation to be influenced by the rotation of the platform)