Daz dForce Romantic Curly hair super slow render with GPU iray

GorgonesGames

May 17, 2022
Hi,
sorry if my question sounds stupid, but I've searched this forum and google but coudln't find anything that could solve this problem.

I'm new to daz rendering and tried to make something similar to Yayo HD promo images to test it, but when I use the dforce Romantic Curly Hair, my rendering time fall from +/- 5 iterations per second to +/- 1 iteration per minute.

My rig is made of an unlocked xeon e5 2640 v3 at 3.4 GHz all cores, 32 go ddr4 and a rtx 2070 super. I checked in the taskmanager the cpu usage, it stand at less than 30% while the cuda usage is at more than 90% so it's probably using my GPU to render. I even used scene optimizer to shrink hair textures to 256 x 256 but no avail.

I put in the attached file my general parameters for the hair asset.

slow.jpg
Does anyone knows how I could make those hairs usable since I fell in love with this character / hair combo?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
There is 1+3 layers of UberShader on 1.3M polys -_-! :

DAZStudio_OFWMpUnfap.png

Asset maker be like :
EfcEYHeWsAMDiQn.jpg

Look for 'real' dForce hair or 'transmapped' one, this one ain't gonna perform soon.

Last edited:

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
If you can fit the hair on your GPU it's not that bad. I did a scene with four g8, one of them wearing this hair. As far as I can remember I landed at around 10 min/render at 5k iterations. That's a big fat IF though.

Other than its memory requirements, I like the hair a lot. It simulates nicely, it comes with good extras (face protection) and good pre-sets.

GorgonesGames

May 17, 2022
Yup, same here, really like those extras and how it shapes with dforce.

Do you still have your parameters? Would be awesome if I could use those hairs within a realistic render time.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017

Do you still have your parameters? Would be awesome if I could use those hairs within a realistic render time.
Afraid it won't help you. The main parameter I'm running with that makes it work is 24Gb VRAM. I know you wrote that you think it rendered on your GPU but it sounds almost impossible at the speeds you were getting.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018

I was quite drunk lol & didn't look for the obvious o/

1. load the hair on your figure
2. Select hair -> parameter tab -> mesh resolution
3. Set both view/render subD lvl to 1.
Should drastically lower polys to ~350k.

Then there is those 3 extra layers (geoshells). You could try to merge each opacity maps of these layer into one, surfaces by surfaces. Also the shading part relies heavily on translucency, which have a cost.

Last edited: