Ren'Py Dialouge rollback through Character image

Mr. TurTur

Jun 12, 2020
Hi,

when I am in a dialog scene and accidentally click on the character image, the dialog is reset to the previous sentence.
Do you have any idea how I can disable this? I cant find anything about it :/

This is how my dialoge is written (pretty basic i'd say):
Python:
    show ch_bob_base with moveinbottom

b "I don't want the fastest son in the world to be late."

hide ch_bob_base with moveoutbottom

show ch_he_base with moveinbottom
    h "He will show them. Love you honney."
    hide ch_he_base with moveoutbottom

show ch_bob_base with moveinbottom

b "I love you too."

b "Stay elastic."

hide ch_bob_base
Thanks in advance

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
It's not the character image that's causing you problems.

There's a setting in the game's preferences, the default text is "Rollback Side: (Disable), (Left), (Right)".
You've set it to "Left" at some point.

If you didn't do it yourself, then the game's author did it for you.

I remember having the exact same problem when I first started playing RenPy games. I messed with the preferences, didn't understand what that setting did, kept messing with it to see if it change anything... then about a week later, I clicked on the left 1/4 or 1/3 of the screen and it rolled back. I thought I'd broken something. Took me a while to connect the dots of me changing that setting and what the end result was.

It's generally much more use for phone/tablet players, who might be familiar with that sort of interaction from things like the YouTube app.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
There's a setting in the game's preferences, the default text is "Rollback Side: (Disable), (Left), (Right)".
Something that I still don't get is why this option appear on games that aren't played on mobile devices.

It's a feature solely dedicated to them, because the "back" button on the quick menu is generally too small to be convenient on such devices, while you can't rely on the key binding to compensate. Therefore it shouldn't appear when you are playing on a computer.

Mr. TurTur

Jun 12, 2020
Hey, thank you all.

That helped!

I found this code and copied it in the options.rpy, now it works.

Python:
default preferences.desktop_rollback_side = "disable"

default preferences.mobile_rollback_side = "disable"