Didn't see this Android build issue ...

Rancid Dragon Productions

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
Can anyone help with Renpy Android build fail? Here's the error, I didn't see any info about it in the other threads.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/android.rpy", line 483, in <module>
  File "game/android.rpy", line 269, in android_build
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'E:\\renpy-7.3.5-sdk\\rapt\\project\\local.properties'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "launcher/game/android.rpyc", line 483, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/android.rpy", line 483, in <module>
  File "game/android.rpy", line 269, in android_build
  File "E:\renpy-7.3.5-sdk\rapt\buildlib/rapt/build.py", line 468, in build
    copy_project(config.update_always)
  File "E:\renpy-7.3.5-sdk\rapt\buildlib/rapt/build.py", line 385, in copy_project
    shutil.rmtree(project)
  File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 275, in rmtree
  File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 273, in rmtree
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'E:\\renpy-7.3.5-sdk\\rapt\\project\\local.properties'

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439
Ren'Py Launcher 7.4.4.1439
Thu May 20 15:39:05 2021

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Is this a repeatable error? Or did it happen just one time? I'm wondering if your antivirus software or backup software might have been accessing that particular file at just that particular time.

One way to get out of "being used by another process" is to reboot.

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
Is this a repeatable error? Or did it happen just one time? I'm wondering if your antivirus software or backup software might have been accessing that particular file at just that particular time.

One way to get out of "being used by another process" is to reboot.
I checked my antivirus and restarted, but I get that issue every time I try and make a build in Android ... I can make other builds, and I've updated to the latest version.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I checked my antivirus and restarted, but I get that issue every time I try and make a build in Android ... I can make other builds, and I've updated to the latest version.
OK, it was kind of a shot in the dark. Antivirus products are usually pretty good at not causing "this file is in use", so that was a really "out there" idea. And if it's happening every time, it sounds like it might be a bug. Possibly when Ren'py is setting up that file, it isn't closing it before the next step starts to read it.

I'd report this over on the Ren'py issues at GitHub.

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
OK, it was kind of a shot in the dark. Antivirus products are usually pretty good at not causing "this file is in use", so that was a really "out there" idea. And if it's happening every time, it sounds like it might be a bug. Possibly when Ren'py is setting up that file, it isn't closing it before the next step starts to read it.

I'd report this over on the Ren'py issues at GitHub.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help!