Ren'Py Difference colors when Ren'Py play video.

djahdjah

Jan 20, 2022
Hi guys,

At first sorry for my bad english, it's not my native langage.
I'm a new user of renpy and I have a problem with the videos.

I make my own animations in 1920/1080 in 30 fps with opentoonz and after I encode my png with shotcut in webm vp9 format.

When I run my videos with VLC they are normal but when I launch them with renpy the colors are not the same.

I use the classic: $ renpy.movie_cutscene("test.webm") to play them.

I made a screen to show the difference:

pbvideo.png

In the left the VLC/PNG version, in the right it's when i launch the video with renpy.

I can't find an answer to my problem on the web, I hope someone here can help me.

thank you in advance.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
From what I've read in the private dev forum, this is a known problem that you share with many others. Someone said it was because renpy uses the BT601 color space while other applications normally use BT709.

djahdjah

Jan 20, 2022
Thank you for your answer, at least I know where is the problem.

Do you know if there is a solution for this or is it an unsolvable problem?

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Thank you for your answer, at least I know where is the problem.

Do you know if there is a solution for this or is it an unsolvable problem?
It was suggested to set the color space to BT601 in the application(s) you work with to make the images/videos, to match how they look in renpy. That's all I know.

Rell games

May 5, 2020
Try to change the renderer method in hidden Renpy settings (shift + G), and make sure to restart the game after you made a change. ANGLE2 uses DirectX 11 under the hood, it might help to resolve your issue. Although note that your changes in those settings won't be reflected in the final build, so you'll probably need to find a workaround to set the default renderer somewhere in your code.

djahdjah

Jan 20, 2022
It was suggested to set the color space to BT601 in the application(s) you work with to make the images/videos, to match how they look in renpy. That's all I know.
Sadly i'm a newbie and I don't know how to make these changes.
I'm using paint.net for the png and shotcut for the videos but I haven't found how to make these changes in the programs I use.
thank you for answering me anyway.

Try to change the renderer method in hidden Renpy settings (shift + G), and make sure to restart the game after you made a change. ANGLE2 uses DirectX 11 under the hood, it might help to resolve your issue. Although note that your changes in those settings won't be reflected in the final build, so you'll probably need to find a workaround to set the default renderer somewhere in your code.
I tried your tip but it didn't change my color problem.
the only thing that has changed is that the video starts from the first shot, before I had to press the return option several times before the video starts without skipping it and going to the next png.
thanks anyway, at least I no longer have the problem of the video not playing.

Reactions: Alcahest