Different languages

eroticview

[Wholesome Affairs]
Game Developer
Mar 27, 2024
Hi, I'm working in a game and I'm planning to add more languages in the future. I was wondering, what are the native language that you speak and if you would like to see a game in your own language or you didn't care?

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
For most it depends if it's a MTL (machine translation) or done by an actual human translator that knows what they are doing.
Depending on the language, an MTL can be downright dogshit.
A translation done by someone inexperienced is often plain, repetitive and uninspiring.
And a proper (hired) translator? Well, that would cost you money.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hi, I'm working in a game and I'm planning to add more languages in the future. I was wondering, what are the native language that you speak and if you would like to see a game in your own language or you didn't care?
As Hagatagar implied, not translation will always be better than an average translation. None native English speakers will always be more tolerant with a game in English but that they struggle to understand, than with a translation in their native language that is partly gibberish.
So, unless you can find a good translator, that you can afford to pay, to translate not the words, but the spirit, just don't add a translation.

eroticview

[Wholesome Affairs]
Game Developer
Mar 27, 2024
I agree with both of you: if you want your game to be translated you have to pay a good translator to do it right. Thing here, is that I can't afford it, but I actually speak Spanish, so English isn't my native language. As you can see in my game:
My game has some Spanglish that I didn't intend to write, I even have a section in my bugfixes for Spanglish hehe
My idea is to make another version in spanish myself and I'm trying to learn more languages, so I can do more translations, that's why I asked what languages do you speak to know what I could learn for the future.
Keep in mind that this is something that I planned to do later on. It could take a lot of time, my game is very ambitious in terms of scope and it will take months or years, depending how much support I get, to even have all the core mechanics of gameplay.

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
My idea is to make another version in spanish myself and I'm trying to learn more languages, so I can do more translations, that's why I asked what languages do you speak to know what I could learn for the future.
That won't do it.
You can't expect to learn languages in a way you will entice native speakers, this will take many years and constant use of that language. Even people who live in foreign countries and speak the language on a daily basis still struggle with the intricate details, that would bug native speakers.

Stick to Spanish and English (have this proofread). All other languages should be translated by native speakers or not at all (even a MTL would be better than someone who just learned a language).

If your game is good enough, sooner or later other people will make fan translations anyway.

Reactions: eroticview

eroticview

[Wholesome Affairs]
Game Developer
Mar 27, 2024
Yeah, I won't do any translation to more languages, besides Spanish, in the near future. But, I'm curious to know what languages are the most common in these community, to maybe pay a translator if I can afford it someday.