VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Dirty Texts - New Intern [v1.0] [RoyalCandy]

1. 4.00 star(s)

AMRFTY

You're the boss, daddy!

So after playing DT: Melissa’s Secret, I wrote quite a harsh review because I thought the game didn’t respect the complex setting it was set in enough, despite the effort put in. Noted that the developer had talent and that the form could grow into something special. I decided to give New Intern a try to see what changed. Things changed for the better.

First off, the premise of this story fits the writing style much better. While I do raise an eyebrow at a few key plot moments, most of the story is well thought out and crafted with a tongue in cheek. Some of the endings seem sudden or don’t fully make sense to me, but that doesn’t necessarily ruin the experience. I enjoyed this more than Melissa’s Secret, if only for the fact there were fun references thrown in.

One thing I will say is that the game understands the concept of ‘things that happen in between conversations’ better. It’s an interesting puzzle to figure out what has exactly happened and how to respond properly, although that could be a separate game altogether. Sophie seems conflicted and open to corruption, but in a way that makes far more sense psychologically.

The graphics look great as they did in the other game, even though Sophie didn’t really appeal to me personally. It works fine and the art style is clean, yet realistic enough. Replayed for all endings and wasn’t ‘that’ impressed with the reach, but the story itself was nice. Extra sidenote is the attention to detail put in with street names, company names and callbacks to earlier situations.

In short, this game handles it subject far more serious and it’s showing, making an average to good game.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

DeanNorris

tl;dr: short but fun (30 mins maybe), offers some replayability, renders are decent, no animations, pragmatic UI, but good writing.

I would like to disagree with the first review of this title - this is clearly intended to be a short and concise adventure, so criticising a game for its shortness, when it is obviously about just you and the LI, is harsh and a bit unfair in my opinion.

For what it wants to be, it does its job very well. The UI is nice, more bare bone than it needs to be, but it does give a somewhat authentic IM experience, though it could still improve in that regard. I also agree with the previous reviewer that an option to animate some content in the form of a video literally comes up at the end of this very game, when the MC claims he sent a video, but for the player it's just presented as a slide show of still images - clearly a missed opportunity.

Other than that, the strong point of this adventure, as well as the other parts I played, is the writing. It's immersive, realistic, it is neither too sweet, nor too vulgar. All in all, the story is presented in an interest and tasteful way, the conversations feel natural and some chemistry can be felt between the two characters throughout the game. The pacing is well done. There are some instances where some lines may come off as a bit cheesy, but all in all it's rather belieavable and well worded, definitely way above average for games on this site (as much as that's worth). Very few typos or weird grammar.

Try it, it's just shy of 70 mb and goes by quickly, there's no reason not to if anything about this title intrigued you enough to read this post.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

Requiem131

Dirty Texts: The New Intern is just what it promises to be, a story told through whatsapp (or similar app). It's interesting in that it is quite inmersive at first, but your choices are quite limited and this means that in the end you're mostly reading through conversations and inmersion is broken. Also, a lot of the main things in the story, like actual conversations in the office or sex, actually happen outside of the app, and all we get for them is some comments and still pics. So no animations (which could have been video footage) or anything like it, making the game actually a bit dissapointing. If you add that it doesn't have a lot of images and the fact that it is very straightforward and a tad short, makes the game end up deserving this rating. No music goes with the game either, only the sound of a new message entering the phone.

If you really are into whatsapp sexting it may be your thing, outside of that it probably won't.