Ren'Py Dissolve and textbox

Playstorepers

May 24, 2020
Hey everyone,

I am witnessing a very weird behaviour of my Ren'Py game.

If I start the game and use the" with Dissolve(insert time in seconds here)" command on scene or show,
the textbox doesn't disappear during the Dissolve.
Later in the game (about 10000 lines in), the textbox always disappears during the dissolve and I swear I'm using the same with Dissolve command.
Does anyone know, why that is?

I'm looking through my game now to find the exact right moment, when the textbox starts to disappear, but it takes a lot of time to sift through all of it.

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Never mind, I am an idiot:
I found the moment, that fucks me over:

It's the window hide
window show

If I don't use window show, afterwards, but just show another text, the dissolve always kill the textbox.

Last edited:

Playstorepers

May 24, 2020
If you do window auto after you use window show/hide it resets the behaviour to automatic.
Thanks for the additional tip.

But do you know, how I configure window auto, that it hides the textbox, when I use scene, but not when I use show with Dissolve?

Acccording to the documentation,

(

window auto This enables automatic management of the window. The window is shown before statements listed in – by default, say statements. The window is hidden before statements listed in – by default, scene and call screen statements, and menu statements without a caption. (Only statements are considered, not statement equivalent functions.))

, I have to define shit in config.window_auto_show and config.window_auto_hide, but it looks like show is always treated the same as scene and honestly, I don't know, how I should enter it.
According to the documentation (Click on the links config.window_auto_show), I can only change scene, call screen, menu, say and menu with captions)

But I want to keep the window, if I show stuff with dissolve on screen and lose it, when I change the scene, but I don't know how to implement it.

EDIT:
Never mind:

define config.window_auto_show = [ 'say', 'menu-with-caption', 'show' ] did the trick.
Even if it's not in the documentation, it works, my bad.

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Thanks for the additional tip.

But do you know, how I configure window auto, that it hides the textbox, when I use scene, but not when I use show with Dissolve?

Acccording to the documentation,

(

window auto This enables automatic management of the window. The window is shown before statements listed in – by default, say statements. The window is hidden before statements listed in – by default, scene and call screen statements, and menu statements without a caption. (Only statements are considered, not statement equivalent functions.))

, I have to define shit in config.window_auto_show and config.window_auto_hide, but it looks like show is always treated the same as scene and honestly, I don't know, how I should enter it.
According to the documentation (Click on the links config.window_auto_show), I can only change scene, call screen, menu, say and menu with captions)

But I want to keep the window, if I show stuff with dissolve on screen and lose it, when I change the scene, but I don't know how to implement it.
the problem is that you're using with dissolve which tells renpy to dissolve into a new screen, "window" is a screen, so it will always be affected by with dissolve.
You don't need to use window show/hide at all except for some very special stuff, but once you use it it's prone to make problems later on.