Distributive size & compression

zegamez

Game Developer
May 22, 2019
Hi!
I'm a newbie. Yesterday I uploaded the first release of my first game. It contains about 900 renders and 90 animations.
The distributive size is about 1.8 Gb, and some people complained that it's too big,

So, I have a question. Is this size okay? I used jpg without any further compression and used maximum quality settings (12) in Photoshop after postprocessing.
The average size of images is 1.5 Mb, animations - 1 Mb / sec.

zegamez

Game Developer
May 22, 2019
Are there any unwritten rules about the compression of renders? Is there any app for compressing many images simultaneously?

JokerLeader

Former Legendary Game Compressor
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Mar 16, 2019
Are there any unwritten rules about the compression of renders? Is there any app for compressing many images simultaneously?
I can compress your game
Too big....for a first release people are gonna think if it's this big now imagine how big it's gonna get..... :KEK:
....go ask the compressing addicts around the forum.... JokerLeader .....
:p

Reactions: zegamez and Lerd0

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I do mine at quality 10 in photoshop and they are under 500kb

The 90 animations is what is killing it, I have never even made that many in my first entirely completed game.

Reactions: zegamez

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
A 1.5 mb _average_ size for a picture sounds very big, although I don't know if they are 1k pics or larger. I'd consider something like 300-500 kb a good tradeoff between quality and size and for the videos it depends how long they are. Many devs are using ultra short looping videos, which helps to make the game more lightweight but they look less than optimal. One option would be to publish both a hi-quality version and a compressed version for us with cheap, slow connections. Some games like e.g. Wife and mother have nowdays about 10,000 pics, and loading the uncompressed version starts to be a bit tedious without a pricey connection.

zegamez

Game Developer
May 22, 2019
A 1.5 mb _average_ size for a picture sounds very big, although I don't know if they are 1k pics or larger. I'd consider something like 300-500 kb a good tradeoff between quality and size and for the videos it depends how long they are. Many devs are using ultra short looping videos, which helps to make the game more lightweight but they look less than optimal. One option would be to publish both a hi-quality version and a compressed version for us with cheap, slow connections. Some games like e.g. Wife and mother have nowdays about 10,000 pics, and loading the uncompressed version starts to be a bit tedious without a pricey connection.
I use 1920x1080 resolution.
Videos compression is okay, I guess. Their size is about 1 Mb per second.

SadgeGames

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2020
Hello, xconvert is a nice software to change the format of a lot of images very fast. It's free. If you for example go for 90% .jpg you won't really see a quality difference but the images should be between 300-600kb of size for 1920x1080. I think some do .webp or something, which may be even lower, but I like .jpg more as I can just view them easier with that.
At least I do that and I have atm 430 mb for 1280 images. I save the .png ones with the best quality for the future for me, but I don't really see a difference against the .jpg ones. You can also go lower than 90% and compress the size further.