VN Do I post non-incest version game on Patreon, incest version on another platform?

MadHeadMaster

Oct 23, 2017
Alright, so, not sure if someone has asked the same question before. But as we all know Patreon forbiddens incest content, and a lot of devs that are making incest games managed to find a way to bypass that rule or are just lucky enough to stay off Patreon's radar for now. I also know that platform like SubscribeStar does not forbidden incest content, thus a lot of creators are changing from Patreon to SubscribeStar.

What I'm trying to ask is: If I want to make a VN that has incest content (probably not the main focus), is it too redundant to make two versions for Patreon and SubscribeStar? And will it work?

Normal version that has incest for SubscribeStar, non-incest and rewrite version for Patreon. (When I say rewrite, it's not just replacing "mom/son/sister" with "landlady/tenant/roommate", but rewriting the dialogues to actually make the non incest version make sense too.)

So, does having the incest version on another plotform like SubscribeStar make you safe? Or Patreon will still possibly ban you even though the version you put on Patreon is completely incest-free?

Also, is making two versions too redundant? Is it easier if I just make a patch to change some dialogues and names?

frozted

Jan 28, 2018
A lot of people have the incest version on Subscribestar and a different version on Patreon that requires a patch. But a way to bypass this problem is to have the player define the relationship with the person themselves. For instance, the default is landlady and they can change it to mom. This gives you plausible deniability. Hey, you are just making a landlady game, you can't control what people type in when they play it.

MadHeadMaster

Oct 23, 2017
A lot of people have the incest version on Subscribestar and a different version on Patreon that requires a patch. But a way to bypass this problem is to have the player define the relationship with the person themselves. For instance, the default is landlady and they can change it to mom. This gives you plausible deniability. Hey, you are just making a landlady game, you can't control what people type in when they play it.
I had heard of that option, thanks for the suggestion.

MadHeadMaster

Oct 23, 2017
patreon forbids hosting your incest content on a 3rd party website. if the little shit that reports your game to patreon tells them you have the incest content on another site, you'll get shut down just like it were on patreon.
Damn, that's what I guessed. Guess I'll have to be more careful about it then.

Reactions: woody554

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Damn, that's what I guessed. Guess I'll have to be more careful about it then.
Just make two versions like you planned. And host the non-incest version on both patreon and subscribestar. Then have the incest patch mysteriously leak from someone that is totally not you.

The problem with making players enter their own relationship is that it will almost never work for both non-incest and incest versions of the story. That's fine if you never intended to support a story about landladies and roommates that act like family, but even then, player determined relationships need a lot of variables like mom's name, what MC and his sister calls the mom, what other people call the mom, etc etc. Most games like this mess it up and have unnatural dialogues.

Making family dynamics sound non-retarded is quite tricky unless you just go all in with a script that is written with incest in mind. And you should avoid bullshit dialogues like, "Hello, sister, how do you do?"

Reactions: ARB582 and woody554

MadHeadMaster

Oct 23, 2017
Just make two versions like you planned. And host the non-incest version on both patreon and subscribestar. Then have the incest patch mysteriously leak from someone that is totally not you.

The problem with making players enter their own relationship is that it will almost never work for both non-incest and incest versions of the story. That's fine if you never intended to support a story about landladies and roommates that act like family, but even then, player determined relationships need a lot of variables like mom's name, what MC and his sister calls the mom, what other people call the mom, etc etc. Most games like this mess it up and have unnatural dialogues.

Making family dynamics sound non-retarded is quite tricky unless you just go all in with a script that is written with incest in mind. And you should avoid bullshit dialogues like, "Hello, sister, how do you do?"
Sounds like a good plan. And yeah, I've played a few VN games that required players enter their own relationships so I can see the problem it has, and it sounds like a lot of work so I probably won't go for that option now. Incest won't be the mains focus of my VN so probably a patch is probably the best option.

bobjohnson

Jan 13, 2017
Any example game titles that do this?

Advent Games

Living Together! with Imouto
Game Developer
Jun 6, 2023
Any example game titles that do this?
If you're on Patreon, this is what you must do or else you WILL lose your account and your patrons. Alternatively, just use SubscribeStar and explain your decision to your potential supporters; that Patreon will mean you have to change your game to something that it isn't now.

bobjohnson

Jan 13, 2017
If you're on Patreon, this is what you must do or else you WILL lose your account and your patrons. Alternatively, just use SubscribeStar and explain your decision to your potential supporters; that Patreon will mean you have to change your game to something that it isn't now.
I'd rather have a SFW edition on Patreon and a NSFW version on SubcribeStar.