Do you even try 0.1's anymore?

Do you play 0.1's?

• Of course! I'll try any game as long as it looks interesting

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Only with developers I'm familiar with so i can trust it will be followed through

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • No, I've been burned far too many times with games abandoned

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • No, there just isn't enough content in a 0.1 for me.

Votes: 27 28.7%

• Total voters

HalGLC

May 12, 2017
It's hard work for dev to make a game, that much I know, so it might seem a bit disheartening to release a 0.1 and have it get next to no traffic. But if you're a dev out there just know as far as I'm concerned: It's probably not you. I've seen far too many new games get the [abandoned] tag in my time, and then there is the fact that for the most part 0.1's often are nothing more than a demo. I'm one of those content hounds who will likely put off any game unless it's got sex in it already.

But what say the rest of you? Is everyone as cynical as me? Or do you actually try to bring some positivity into the world?

And if you do wait, what version/how many updates do you wait until you do give it a go? I'll be more likely to check out a game if it's gets past the 0.5 (assuming dev's do it right, I've seen plenty of devs release 0.5's as demos) or it's had 4-5 updates.

Reactions: swmas

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
I usually check out 0.1 releases just because most of em are super short so I dont waste much time playing em anyways. I go in with no expectations and sometimes I'm genuinely surprised by how good some of them are. If they aren't too bad, I'll usually throw in some criticisms to help new devs out, but if their game is a dumpster fire, I'll just skip criticism altogether. I'm hoping to become a dev in the future so by helping others out, I make note of where they went wrong so that one day I won't make the same mistakes.

Xorgroth

Modder
Oct 12, 2017
I don't even bother with super early releases since there's almost always next to nothing on content and trying to judge a game on so little content just doesn't seem fair. So a lot of those games get terrible reviews of people freaking out that there's very little content. Of course there's not much in the game it's a 0.1 release. Think some devs might get discouraged because of the crappy reviews they get on a 0.1 release and kills them off fast.

Reactions: Back and Papa Ernie

crewfalcons

Donor
May 17, 2017
I'll try out a v0.1 if it peeks my interests - ie has things/kinks/preferences I'm interested in, preview art looks polished (bonus points for unique or hand-drawn art), story seems compelling and not a blatant carbon copy or the same story we've all seen before (how many long lost families with a sexy milf mother with a younger shy sister, older tsundere sister, and deceased father can there be out there?), and the developer seems to have the right priorities.

Recent example of this - tried Connected by ChainZero on a whim and am looking forward to their follow-up effort and how it develops going forward.

Although, I think some devs don't get the grind, amount of work, and dedication you have to put into making a game (not just for your first version, but for every subsequent version that follows). All of those hours you put into getting v0.1 out is what you're going to have to keep-up and do going forward... soooo you're going to have to put on your big boy pants and learn how to follow a work routine, plan, follow a schedule, not burn yourself out, market yourself, grow, and not lose sight of why you got into developing games in the first place.

Also... if you think you're going to make money off of developing games... just stop. Very few make money (yeah there are the ICSTOR, Summertime Saga, Redamz, Palmer, and some others that have thousands of patrons.. but they are the outliers). Most devs barely break $1,000-$2,000 / month (~$12,000-$24,000 / year before taxes). So if I see a v0.1 coming from a dev. who has the "get-rich-quick" vibe to it... hard pass for me (because their expectations for success aren't realistic).

anime_junkie

Jun 18, 2017
I try them as long as it looks like something i might like and has an interesting story and characters

Oh and it has to have a decent translation dealing with robo text is so hard

K18

Apr 19, 2018
Personally, it depends on the plot/synopsis that's given in the overview (visually too, but the character visuals can only do so much on its own). If the plot is different from the norms or has some added variety, I'd check it out 0.1 releases. To me, the norms being (1.) "Plain average guy (usually 18-years-old) whose mundane life is suddenly changed for better or for worse due to unexpected events, supernatural or divine interventions and gets the attention with many women", (2.) "Guy reuniting and reconnecting with his estranged family", (3.) "High School/College student in a school setting, slice of life". For those i'd wait until the 2nd or 3rd full release to see if it goes anywhere.

Or just take a chance trying it, considering every developer is different, as one 0.1 release of a visual novel can have 30 minutes of story content and fleshed out characters, the other 0.1 release can have 5 minutes of content with little or no progression.

Last edited:

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Since I primarily go by the Genre "tags" most early versions are ignored without me having to ponder further. Past that it really depends on the nature of the game in question, for example I quite enjoy the Flash "interactive touching games" which could easily be the only sexual content in the v0.1a of a larger game. On the other hand if the game is highly story-driven or otherwise sparse in actual sex it really needs to excel in other areas.

Plus I never pay for something which is obviously half-baked. Nothing against adult game devs in particular, if anything the current "pre-order" culture and "perpetual beta - customers==testers" have poisoned that well. But special mention to game posts which seem to only exist as advertisements for a Patreon page. A "support us" button on the title screen or outright cheat codes are one thing but if half the UI buttons are greyed out as "Patrons only" or "coming soon P" with yet another damn link to the same page then that's a hard nope and I expect the "game" to die before the third update.

As others have already said it depends on the developers' interpretation too since we don't have any real standards for version numbering. Some "0.1"s might be fully playable sex simulators but missing the entire storyline the devs intend to write while others barely offer a playable sex-free prologue without crashing. While thankfully rarer I draw a hard line against anything with more than one leading zero or explicitly denoting itself a "demo" because in that stage I truly can't rely on anything said or done, a "v0.1" at least needs some measure of art or writing.

Reactions: SeventhVixen

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I use the "latest updates" list to track the updated games, so I never see the first release. And I'm cool with that, when I finally discover the game, there's already comment in the thread and I have a better idea of what I'll have if I decide to give it a try.

DrWhom

Mar 12, 2019
I will checkout a 0.1 to see if i would be entertained by the game and depending on the amount of content per update either play or skip a few.

LoneKaiser

Dec 10, 2017
... (2.) "Guy reuniting and reconnecting with his strangled family"
I think you mean ESTRANGED family.
Strangled means someone choked someone else to death. Estranged means they're not really that close, for whatever reason.

Reactions: tightbuns

User #1751331

Oct 30, 2019
It's hard work for dev to make a game, that much I know, so it might seem a bit disheartening to release a 0.1 and have it get next to no traffic. But if you're a dev out there just know as far as I'm concerned: It's probably not you. I've seen far too many new games get the [abandoned] tag in my time, and then there is the fact that for the most part 0.1's often are nothing more than a demo. I'm one of those content hounds who will likely put off any game unless it's got sex in it already.

But what say the rest of you? Is everyone as cynical as me? Or do you actually try to bring some positivity into the world?

And if you do wait, what version/how many updates do you wait until you do give it a go? I'll be more likely to check out a game if it's gets past the 0.5 (assuming dev's do it right, I've seen plenty of devs release 0.5's as demos) or it's had 4-5 updates.
I didn't see an answer in your pole that fit with the way I look at it.
The primary reason is that the 4th answer tends to show a misconception that 0.1 has anything to do with the amount of content a game has in it. It could be nothing more than an indication of this is their first public release the game could be 90% done at that stage.

The short answer is it depends on the amount of content I see already in the game not the version number. It also depends on do I see any indication the developer has things planned out well or are they just winging it and throwing stuff together in a hodgepodge. Another red flag is if they seem to eager to please fans rather than just create what they intended to.

If we go by just authors past works and track record alone new talent would not get the chance.

As far as how completed a game is having anything to do with enjoyment. Just go on game section of the forum and select the completed tag. And start going through those. You will find there are a bunch of games that in general suck even though they are completed. Even lots of those that are completed just don't really feel like they are.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I don't usually find a game that early in the development process unless it's from a dev who's other games I like. When I do try a v0.1 it's generally because the description sounds interesting and I like the art style for whatever example renders were offered in the OP. Even at that early of a version I can usually tell if it's something I'm going to like. The quality of the writing becomes readily apparent and usually you get a feel for what sort of mechanics are going to be used and what sort of focus the dev is leaning towards.

So usually if I play something this early it's enough to put it on my watch list if I like the writing or ignore it if I don't. If I do think I'll like it I usually will wait a few versions for there to be more content but it really depends on the dev. Some devs have more content than others on a per version basis so you can't really tell from version numbers how much content there is.

IMO if your v0.1 doesn't have enough content to form an opinion of the game then you shouldn't release anything yet.

Reactions: SeventhVixen
Apr 23, 2017
Quite simple really, make another forum category for demo versions and other 0.1 nonsense an such and don't let them into "Latest Updates". Everyone happy.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
I used to try 'everything', now I only play the fairly established games that I like. I don't mind 0.01's per se, just taking a break from them.

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
IMO if your v0.1 doesn't have enough content to form an opinion of the game then you shouldn't release anything yet.
I'm of this opinion. Even in the most tropish of plots (Guy gets back to home, guy starts school, etc), games can result in something unique with unique characters, unique story... But many 0.1 releases just look like "Hey, I can render graphics too and put them togheter in an engine" xD

As for poll of the OP, specially if is drawn art I'll try a 0.1 no matter what. If it has a plot too (meaning, game is not just about freeroaming some rooms in your house to steal panties). Stealing panties can be cool, but I need some reasons to steal panties, like to run a DNA test to discover the killer, or at least because I care of whom wears those panties. Not a kid anymore xD

Then again as for the expanded OP message, all people making games deserve attention, but people making 0.1 should try to make them a bit beefy so they show what is really the game like.

215303j

Occasionally I try 0.1 releases, if the description, tags and preview pics interest me.
Quite often, I have to admit, I don't bother. Frankly also because there is just a lot of poor games out there, and there are also a lot of games which I am already following, leaving limited time for new ones.

But I have to say, joining the development of a game from 0.1, especially from a new dev who is active in the community, also gives you a chance to experience the creative process from up close. It also gives you the chance to provide constructive feedback that may get listened to even if you are not financially supporting the dev.

And the experience of following a story in the making makes for another, richer, experience than playing a completed game or one that is over half in it's development.