Do you like games with 2D CG art? I need your suggestion!

Is my 2D acceptable for a hentai game?

• Hold my beer, I can fap to that!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • It is acceptable.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No, it is not.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • My teddy bear can draw better and he has no hands!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
As per thread title, if you like 2D CG art in your games I would like to hear your suggestion, a little background first:

I am almost done developing my current project which contains 2D CG, ever since I have started it I got a lot of useful feedback which helped me to improve the art in my game, however, eventually my project kind of got buried and I do not seem to be getting the same feedback I have got here initially from anywhere else so I am totally clueless if my current skills are acceptable or not.

Regardless of that, I have began another project which also contains 2D art (to take over once I am done with the current one) but I am unsure if it will fair any better than my current one: Luckily I can make it as short as I want while it is still in early development and try my hand on 3D depending on the feedback I will be getting from this thread.

Here is the latest thing I have done: (The character is complete, the background is not)

This is how I would draw a hentai scene, whereas the overworld characters would be more akin to the outlined ones in here:

In retrospective I should have asked for this kind of feedback BEFORE starting another 2D project :unsure: but it is an information I will be needing for the future as well as I am no artist and I am positive that my skills cannot improve beyond this point.

E.l.l.0

Feb 1, 2018
For me, the more attractive the visual stimuli is, the better. For my taste, it can 2D, 3D, drawn, rendered, whatever. Even pixel art can do it for me. Everything is better than just plain text, even if what excites and interests me the most is the story. But if the art is bad, it can be pretty distracting, and it can damage the overall experience.

In this particular case, the character (I'm assuming it's a female pikachu) has a sufficient attractive body to keep me immersed, but her face, however, doesn't appeal to me very much and could eventually distract me from the narrative, if there is any. I don't even know what type of game it's about, and can still work, but I'm more interested in believable stories. If she had a more human-like face, but could still retain certain distinctive features from the original character, such as the ears and the tail, I think I would be satisfied.

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Woops, I should have probably used a human looking one as an example.
I did not think about that as I am more interested in opinions regarding the coloring, shading, outlining, etc. rather than the character itself, the second link contains an example of some human faces, if you are willing to check it out, can you tell me if those look good enough?
(this one: )

Reactions: E.l.l.0

E.l.l.0

Feb 1, 2018
No problem. They look a bit plain, tbh. And the overall art, imho, looks like something out of a 90s japanese visual novel. That isn't bad in itself for me, but for the current times it may look very outdated. You can compare it to other art in this site and you will see what I mean. But there are also worse works than this, believe me. And depending on the context, it could still work. I don't think it would appeal to a big audience, however.

The overall mixture of drawing, coloring, shading, outlining, looks a bit simple. But I'm no expert, it's just my impression. And it isn't bad in itself, only comparing it to others does it look kinda lacking. But I can say I much prefer the human girls' eyes than the pikachu ones. I think it is the best feature of the whole drawing, and can be compelling.

The backgrounds are also acceptable for me. I don't know if I would enjoy your game, though. I'll probably would be searching for other things if it's just your typical monster girl hentai game, but there are many fans of that genre. If you have confidence in you project (depending on your ambition), I don't think your should be discouraged.

I wish you good luck on your project!

Reactions: Winterfire

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017