Do you prefer 2D or 3D art style?

yz.en_

Formerly 'Yazen_'
Nov 24, 2022
Hey you all! I wanna know what visual art most of you prefer on seeing on visual novels specifically corruption stories.

Do you like 3D renders for realism and immersion or do you prefer 2D artwork where I have the flexibility to draw the most degenerate scenes xD

Here are samples of my works!
20221128_134413.png
20221128_134457.png
20221128_134541.png
20221128_134656.png

I'll post more about my game when I start writing the script! :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Greiya Archives

Greiya Archives

first rate degenerate
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2022
2D over 3D.
Btw, most devs that use 3D can't draw 2D either at all or well.
very cute cat girl

edit: 3D can be surprisingly limited in terms of what you can do sometimes.
Also, if you go with Daz or blender, assets costs will pile up, it can get expensive. if you go with illusion games like koikatsu or HS2, you can't sell on steam (which makes a huge difference for monetization)

yz.en_

Formerly 'Yazen_'
Nov 24, 2022
2D over 3D.
Btw, most devs that use 3D can't draw 2D either at all or well.
very cute cat girl

edit: 3D can be surprisingly limited in terms of what you can do sometimes.
Also, if you go with Daz or blender, assets costs will pile up, it can get expensive. if you go with illusion games like koikatsu or HS2, you can't sell on steam (which makes a huge difference for monetization)
Ahhh I see, well thanks for the advice! 2D seems very favorable for me right now. I plan to animate them too! Might take me long though, but that's fine. I really wish I could use Daz with their latest Genesis pack but my wooden laptop might not be able to handle it...

Oct 14, 2022
I prefer 3d because it is unique to gaming.
I can find a billion hentai picture's but finding a 3d is both rare and often from video games.

Both are fine.
To be fair i can cum even in text based games as long the dialog is good.
It is (for me atleast) less about the sex and more about the pervertion.
The control.
Hearing a woman say: I am nothing but a hole for you cock feels heavenly.
Where i can watch a pretty woman being fucked for hours and feel nothing because she is just having fun.
Not even being broken in submission.

Reactions: Anonimed and yz.en_

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
I prefer 3D, but I'm not prejudiced, if a game is well done (story and scenes) I don't exclude 2D either

Reactions: yz.en_

Thanatron

May 12, 2018
It really depends.
3D can get a bit uncanny it places or bizarre looking but it is usually okay to me. 2D is usually a sure thing to me but then it depends on their art-style, sometimes the style is too off-putting or flat-out grotesque.

yz.en_

Formerly 'Yazen_'
Nov 24, 2022
I prefer 3d because it is unique to gaming.
I can find a billion hentai picture's but finding a 3d is both rare and often from video games.

Both are fine.
To be fair i can cum even in text based games as long the dialog is good.
It is (for me atleast) less about the sex and more about the pervertion.
The control.
Hearing a woman say: I am nothing but a hole for you cock feels heavenly.
Where i can watch a pretty woman being fucked for hours and feel nothing because she is just having fun.
Not even being broken in submission.
Oh I understand the appeal with 3d. I'm thinking od using it for convenience since I'll have assets ready and just have to focus on refining them and stuff for my scenes. I'm still debating whether I wanna go 2D or 3D really.

And yeah, when it comes to the story, I can be pretty detailed so you can expect that.

Anonimed

Jun 15, 2020
3D
Animated sex scenes, more sex scenes and varieties, more gameplay or background animations, faster updates, more perspectives and more poses.

2D is beautiful and sexy, but I think is harder and slower

yz.en_

Formerly 'Yazen_'
Nov 24, 2022
3D
Animated sex scenes, more sex scenes and varieties, more gameplay or background animations, faster updates, more perspectives and more poses.

2D is beautiful and sexy, but I think is harder and slower
I agree with you. I don't plan to dish out half assed illustrations of my game so it will surely take me a whole lot of time before I can release something decent. It sucks. I tried downloading Daz3D but when I ran it, my laptop couldn't handle it. My second best shot is Honey Select 2... I don't like how other 3D character rendering softwares look. With HS2 it takes out a bit of the realism in the game but still workable if I were to put the full focus on my story.

Nagozo

Sep 30, 2017
Just FYI, Yazen_ , this thread could've been a poll for an easier overview lol

I'm with the 2D crowd on this one. More flexibility and uniqueness is worth the extra time investment, especially if your art looks decent (which yours does).

yz.en_

Formerly 'Yazen_'
Nov 24, 2022
Just FYI, Yazen_ , this thread could've been a poll for an easier overview lol

I'm with the 2D crowd on this one. More flexibility and uniqueness is worth the extra time investment, especially if your art looks decent (which yours does).
body design mom.png

Yeah I didn't wanna overwhelm my laptop with heavy softwares for now. I know I'll eventually move to 3D and to improve the quality and visuals of my work but for now I need funding to make that happen.

I'm already starting to sketch some body designs I will use for the characters in my game. Here's the mom's slut outfit. Though I still might change that ofc

Vinnary

Sep 25, 2020
Strongly depends on the kind of game and both can look great. I still very much prefer 2D over 3D. 3D oftentimes enters uncanny valley, where people try to be "too" realistic for their own good, or them being asset-store games. The same can of course also apply to 2D, but usually it's a lot more consistent in terms of style and feel.

yz.en_

Formerly 'Yazen_'
Nov 24, 2022
Strongly depends on the kind of game and both can look great. I still very much prefer 2D over 3D. 3D oftentimes enters uncanny valley, where people try to be "too" realistic for their own good, or them being asset-store games. The same can of course also apply to 2D, but usually it's a lot more consistent in terms of style and feel.
You make a very good point. As much as I want to use 3D renders for ease and faster scene renders I just don't have the proper system for it yet. So now I'm going for 2D but try to make it look the best I could make.

Reactions: Vinnary

Vinnary

Sep 25, 2020
You make a very good point. As much as I want to use 3D renders for ease and faster scene renders I just don't have the proper system for it yet. So now I'm going for 2D but try to make it look the best I could make.
Never refrain from experimenting, it's the best thing one can do in my opinion :)
Your art is already a very solid base, maybe trying to find certain artists you really like could help you out on refining your style even further. Certainly keep going at it, you got this!

• Red Heart

yz.en_

Formerly 'Yazen_'
Nov 24, 2022
Never refrain from experimenting, it's the best thing one can do in my opinion :)
Your art is already a very solid base, maybe trying to find certain artists you really like could help you out on refining your style even further. Certainly keep going at it, you got this!
Thanks! I'd love to do that but honestly, I don't have any budget to pay anyone to help me through creating this game. I'm gonna be doing everything on my own. I already am writing the prologue of the game and came up with multiple varying scenes that will push the story forward no matter the options are. But yeah, I still have a lot of work and preparation to do before I release anything. I hope I can do it by next year.

Vinnary

Sep 25, 2020
Thanks! I'd love to do that but honestly, I don't have any budget to pay anyone to help me through creating this game. I'm gonna be doing everything on my own. I already am writing the prologue of the game and came up with multiple varying scenes that will push the story forward no matter the options are. But yeah, I still have a lot of work and preparation to do before I release anything. I hope I can do it by next year.
That makes us two. I've been a solo dev for a long time before and did work together with an artist the past few years, though for the time being, I'm temporarily developing stuff on my own again. From my personal experience, I can recommend to focus on your primary skill first. I'm mainly a programmer and whenever I created something, I just wasn't happy with "programmer art", which is why I went back to create graphics, then create music and afterwards fill everything with sound effects. That kind of process results in a good little something, but you can often feel overwhelmed and lose focus on what you initially wanted to create as a whole.

If you're mainly an artist, I would recommend getting familiar with the workflow of creating art for games first (especially in terms of keeping a consistent style. I've had some artist friends run into the issue of always wanting to rework their old stuff, some months down the line, due to their style heavily changing after months), before you go too in-depth on programming or writing, for example, to overcome the first and most important motivation hurdle.
As a writer, you could already lay out most of the story and outline, which would allow you to sort characters and locations by importance.
In case of being a programmer too, developing the main mechanics and systems first is key. Try to create a pleasant game loop - Be alright with placeholders and do your best to inhale that good old copium until the main things are in place.

In a perfect world, all of those things would of course intertwine and would be perfectly planned, with game mechanics being based on the story/lore, with art perfectly fitting the requirements of your code / chosen engine and so on. But well, while it IS possible in theory, it certainly doesn't help with getting things rolling.

As a general rule of thumb, I'm personally now dividing my projects into chapters, in order to be able to focus on a specific part of the story first. Cutting that huge solodev workload into smaller, more digestible chunks not only keeps up motivation but also really helps with staying focused on the project. More importantly, try to get a little something done every day, even if it's just a few lines of code, a quick sketch or a simple dialogue/scene and before you know it, you've already made quite the progress a few weeks down the line.

Take it all with a grain of salt though, different strokes for different folks - Plus my backyard is filled to the brim with old projects and ideas.

• Wow

yz.en_

Formerly 'Yazen_'
Nov 24, 2022
That makes us two. I've been a solo dev for a long time before and did work together with an artist the past few years, though for the time being, I'm temporarily developing stuff on my own again. From my personal experience, I can recommend to focus on your primary skill first. I'm mainly a programmer and whenever I created something, I just wasn't happy with "programmer art", which is why I went back to create graphics, then create music and afterwards fill everything with sound effects. That kind of process results in a good little something, but you can often feel overwhelmed and lose focus on what you initially wanted to create as a whole.

If you're mainly an artist, I would recommend getting familiar with the workflow of creating art for games first (especially in terms of keeping a consistent style. I've had some artist friends run into the issue of always wanting to rework their old stuff, some months down the line, due to their style heavily changing after months), before you go too in-depth on programming or writing, for example, to overcome the first and most important motivation hurdle.
As a writer, you could already lay out most of the story and outline, which would allow you to sort characters and locations by importance.
In case of being a programmer too, developing the main mechanics and systems first is key. Try to create a pleasant game loop - Be alright with placeholders and do your best to inhale that good old copium until the main things are in place.

In a perfect world, all of those things would of course intertwine and would be perfectly planned, with game mechanics being based on the story/lore, with art perfectly fitting the requirements of your code / chosen engine and so on. But well, while it IS possible in theory, it certainly doesn't help with getting things rolling.

As a general rule of thumb, I'm personally now dividing my projects into chapters, in order to be able to focus on a specific part of the story first. Cutting that huge solodev workload into smaller, more digestible chunks not only keeps up motivation but also really helps with staying focused on the project. More importantly, try to get a little something done every day, even if it's just a few lines of code, a quick sketch or a simple dialogue/scene and before you know it, you've already made quite the progress a few weeks down the line.

Take it all with a grain of salt though, different strokes for different folks - Plus my backyard is filled to the brim with old projects and ideas.
Woah that's really cool! How long do you take when developing a full chapter for your game?

And yeah, I suppose breaking my game down into chapters would be more manageable rather than a full game that would quite possibly take me years to even finish before I could release them. I'm an artist mainly though I'm also very good at writing so I switch my tasks on either of the two whenever I feel like. I have basic knowledge in programming too so I'll figure that one out eventually. Might get lost in some codes when it comes to creating game mechanics but I'll pull out some youtube tutorials that would help me solve the problem xD

Vinnary

Sep 25, 2020
Woah that's really cool! How long do you take when developing a full chapter for your game?

And yeah, I suppose breaking my game down into chapters would be more manageable rather than a full game that would quite possibly take me years to even finish before I could release them. I'm an artist mainly though I'm also very good at writing so I switch my tasks on either of the two whenever I feel like. I have basic knowledge in programming too so I'll figure that one out eventually. Might get lost in some codes when it comes to creating game mechanics but I'll pull out some youtube tutorials that would help me solve the problem xD
Haha well, that's sadly still something I will have to find out now :)
The recent switch to being solo again has caused us to put a good few things on hold, which is why I just started something new a week ago. I plan to have a first alpha done by the end of December, which would still be far from a complete chapter. The most recent thing we've been working on and that's almost finished now is an application for pixel art - That took like five months, on and off.

Love to hear it, that's a very cool skillset to have! Youtube really is the best source to fill in those gaps.