Do you prefer 2D or 3D game/animation, which one turns you on more?

erogical

Oct 4, 2018
like the title said,when the arts were both done great, whats your prefference, which one will make you feel more aroused and why?

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
It's the same question as always, personaly i like 2d more, i think it can more creative (daz 3d models seem like always the same, just more details and stuff), but in my experience in this forum people prefer 3d

DonTaco

Compensating for length
Game Developer
Feb 25, 2021
I don't have a preference tbh, It's all about the execution

May 3, 2018
I prefer 2D if both are done equally well.

There is a creativity and a style to 2D that is hard to replicate with 3D, and you can do more with shape language and silhouettes in 2D to differentiate characters and not have it look weird or wrong.

Plus, 2D has more of a timeless feel, and will hold up for much longer (maybe even forever), versus 3D that even if super well done for the time, will eventually start to look and feel dated and weird as technology advances.

And with as long as adult games are in development for, anything to make them look more timeless is an advantage.

Reactions: Shiverless

Jofur

May 22, 2018
2D if it's hand animated and not tweened or "morphed".
Pre-rendered 3D I could take or leave. Real-time 3D animations I love however. Being able to control the camera is amazing.

Last edited:

Kalidwen

Jun 6, 2021
For me it depends on the style, I guess. Stylized 3D is nice, but with more realistic models it's still too firmly in the uncanny valley to be enjoyable. On the whole, I'd rather have some beautiful 2D art.

mclovin0909

Aug 25, 2021
same cost(money,time,etc...) 3D would have better quality(fps, resolution,etc...)
personally I prefer 2D, but it's hard to find great 2D works.

FalloutLewdz

Aug 16, 2020
Depends, if it has animation, I'll take either one. Some of the 2D animation games (like the Milk Factory games) are getting a lot better because there is more variety to the loop animation, whereas the 3D games it's more or less just a constant loop of a few frames.