Do you prefer games with 2D or 3D art?

Which do you prefer when playing lewd games?

• 2d art (Anime/Asian influenced)

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • 2d art (Western influenced)

Votes: 32 43.8%
  • 3d art (Daz3d assets)

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • 3d art (Honey Select)

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
Aug 5, 2016
So we all play lewd games, and probably all have favourites in one or more genres, but I am curious what the general preference is when it comes to the actual naked ladies (or lads) in the games we play.

It doesn't really matter if we're talking Visual Novels, RPGMaker games, Unity or something else completely - what tends to be your preference when it comes to art styles? Are you leaning towards Japanese hentai, Western comics/parodies or do you prefer your lewds in 3d?

Please select an option, and feel free to comment on why you chose as you do. You are also welcome to throw examples of the artstyles you prefer (as I know just saying "2D" or "3D" is a very broad term)

Last edited:

Fuscen

Dec 21, 2020
I have a slight bias toward 2D art, but the making/breaking factor for me is whether the art is competent and, more importantly, consistent. I would take Daz/HS, overused as they may be, over a bunch of random 2D assets from clearly distinct artists thrown together.

Unless it's MS Paint. I unironically love MS Paint art, but that's probably not what this poll is about.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
3dcg is very narrow in its presentation and you cant get the feeling this is actually the creators vision unless they put a lot of effort into creating custom models.
2d is the best for getting an idea across even if its not super high quality.

t727

Jan 4, 2018
I like western style 2D over DAZ because someone who draws an image could do it more freely than a 3D mesh as the artist is limited to their own knowledge of DAZ and the creator of the 3D mesh. All 3D look too clean and dry, only a few DAZ artists know the secrets of doing secretion.
Honey Select just look stupid, HS2 games look more cartoonish and I can live with that.
  1. 2d art (Western influenced)
  2. 3d art (Daz3d assets)
  3. 3d art (Honey Select)
  4. 2d art (Anime/Asian influenced)*
* Never saw any which aren't censored.

• Angry
Reactions: IXL and DevSteve

aereton

Mar 9, 2018
Voted for western 2d art, but honestly I don't mind any of them as long as it gets me diamonds :WeSmart:

Apr 16, 2023
Id say the very best Daz looks the best but only like 5 people in the world seem to know how to do it. Otherwise Honey Select just looks better than DAZ 90% of the time. Also the fact that HS devs can take a render in a second, means they can make longer games with more expressive characters. Thats why both number one and number two weighted rating games on here are made with HS.

Im not weighing in on the 2d side just because I dont prefer 2d games personally.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
I've yet to see a Daz render I like. I think they're kind of trash, tbh. So 2D all the way, or real time 3D.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I was expecting to be the lone '2d art (Western influenced)' but then when I saw the results, I'm forced to remember that 'western influenced' is a wide catch all term, were as I'm thinking something more specific in the animation industry, more cartoony than just general art. I am very very very much into simpler cartoon 2D art. even now with my own art I am debating if I should fade the colors out a bit more because I find that what really makes characters pop is great line art, coloring and shading the art while looks good in the end, seems to take away that 'pop' that line art only cartoons have.

Aug 5, 2016
I have a slight bias toward 2D art, but the making/breaking factor for me is whether the art is competent and, more importantly, consistent. I would take Daz/HS, overused as they may be, over a bunch of random 2D assets from clearly distinct artists thrown together.

Unless it's MS Paint. I unironically love MS Paint art, but that's probably not what this poll is about.

I kinda agree with you there. Competent art (or a competent artist) and consistency is key to a lot of things. I've seen horrible stuff in both 2d and 3d - and more importantly seen stuff where it seems like the artist doesn't even care.

I was expecting to be the lone '2d art (Western influenced)' but then when I saw the results, I'm forced to remember that 'western influenced' is a wide catch all term, were as I'm thinking something more specific in the animation industry, more cartoony than just general art. I am very very very much into simpler cartoon 2D art. even now with my own art I am debating if I should fade the colors out a bit more because I find that what really makes characters pop is great line art, coloring and shading the art while looks good in the end, seems to take away that 'pop' that line art only cartoons have.
It *is* interesting to see how the votes place themselves. I would have expected it to be more even, but it looks like there's a bias towards "western" 2d at the moment. And yes, it is a very broad term, but at the same time with the games available on the site I feel like most people have an idea what the genre covers.

I am always up for seeing examples of what you'd consider top tier western 2d art though :)

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I am always up for seeing examples of what you'd consider top tier western 2d art though
Well not so much 'top tier' but in the animation industry there's always been a bit of history and nuance between what different shows decide as their art style. Before 2005 animation style was more based on the artist of a show (Winx club, Lilo and Stitch art style came from their primary artist) (ie the art came first), but after that time when experimental shows became more popular specific artist was less important (leaning more towards teamwork) (art came after the writing), later on in recent years animations were willing more to explore art styles and match earlier art styles (ie Total Drama series art style one of my fav's was inspired by the experimental art style of Clone High, Steven Universe went through a major art style change for something cleaner/modern/professional). I myself am trying to figure out my ideal between total drama TDI, Xiaolin Showdown (a less extreme version of Kim possible), and something with hints of realism... but these are all cartoons, no shading, simple shapes, no Disney princes cheek/jaw style, no anime eyes/nose, which is where I forget that most of western art style use a blend of various art ideas, and the 'blend' tends to be referred to as 'western influenced' where as in reality it's just that an artist isn't strictly trying ta match anime/Disney/some-show's standards so it falls into a catch all term.

batmantitties

Sep 17, 2017
If we are talking about the best of the best from each category then my pick is 2D artwork with a western style, anime-like style is fine but it lacks something for me but I couldn't really pin point what it is. 3D artwork is fine but it's hard to find a game that looks good, I guess because it's easier to make a game with it there are a lot of people using it and the bulk of 3D games just look bad and amateurish (and that's not even getting into the writing), but even when it looks great I would rather have a great looking 2D game.

I have been learning renpy and coming up with a script myself and if I ever did try to make it into a game for release I would get an artist to do the artwork, even if I could technically make the game myself with a 3D program I would rather have an actual artist make 2D art for me, split the money and have a game I actually like.

Reactions: FrozenNorseman

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
My own preference is well-drawn 2D, and I like a western style the most. Anime looks great, but there's something about a realistic 2D style that attracts me. That's why I chose a 2D artist with a realistic style to draw the scenes.

It's much more expensive, but it fits my game a lot better. And seeing the progress pictures from sketch to finished artwork feels like receiving a gift. I always get happy when the artist sends me a message with his art.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Izakiya

Apr 29, 2023
I love the look of 2d the most, doesn't matter if it's western or Japanese. However, I still chose HS because I think those games have better animations than most 2d games.

I'll only play a DAZ game if the characters don't give me uncanny valley feelings, which leaves very few (like Being a Dik or Red Lucy).