Do you think there'll be games made with AI art soon?

Greiya Archives

first rate degenerate
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2022
I have no strong opinions on AI art - ik a lot of people hate it, but I'm not "for" or "against" it, I don't think there's anything wrong with using AI to produce art and share it, as long as the person using it doesn't claim it's hand drawn art.

just curious if you think there'll soon be a bunch of solo-dev lewd games made with AI art?

again, I'm not for or against it, and tbh I don't know much about it - other than the gist of it.

Greiya Archives

first rate degenerate
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2022
I answer as a developer of video games, there are already projects in development made only by graphics generated by AI.
It is inevitable that soon we will have many :)

In my opinion, at this moment AI can produce good "concepts", but soon we will have AI that can be used in production.

In the near future, it will not be graphics that will make the difference, but it will be those who have the ability to tell a story, and graphics will only be a means through which to tell it.

I speak as a developer of videogames and 3d graphics, it will be our duty to understand how to use the new tools and improve the storytelling for our games :)
At this moment AI can be a help, but it certainly cannot replace a good 3d artist!

Ultimately, AI is a means that, if used well, will help us be faster, and simplify the technical side of making the game.
We will have better games, even made by a single person in a short time, instead of waiting for months for the development of a game made by a team!

Technologies change and the problem is not to lose old habits, but to adapt and take advantage of new opportunities.

P.S: After having said all this I would just like to point out that I am one of the "old school" I still do everything by myself, without AI ... maybe one day I will have to change, but not today :)
Very insightful and informative answer!
Thank you!

Reactions: NessunoDalNulla

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
Internet:
1990 text
2000 pictures
2010 video
2020 AI

AI
2020 text
2030 pictures
2040 video
2050 ?

nulnil

May 18, 2021
All AI does right now is mimic patterns from whatever input it's given. You could argue humans are like this too, but humans are more refined in this and already have decades of "input". You might see AI visual novels in a few years, but AI isn't smart enough to take on something as complex as a game.

Let's compare the design process of a game vs a visual novel:
Game:
  • Type of game, and the subgenre.
  • Trademark mechanics. (DMC's Style Ranks, Doom:E's glory kills)
  • Progression. When does the player reach endgame?
  • Logic Systems. Like how D&D calculates damage dealt or armor's effectiveness.
  • Enemies and each of their roles in gameplay.
  • Difficulty.
  • Coding the game. (If the AI could do that on it's own, it's probably taken over already.)
Visual Novel:
  • Writing
  • Rendering

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Oh yeah, you can bet your ass it will spread and become way more popular in the future.
Art drawing, story writing, shit designing, other things. Perhaps they'll even make one that can pump out games on it's own.

*Flexible.
*Can be trained.
*Efficient as hell.
*Doesn't need rest.
*Does not have any preferences/demands.
*Does not need to be paid.
*Etc.

So many fucking benefits that i fear artists, writers, designers, etc - all will need to seriously up their 'game' soon to stay competitive.
At some point, you will likely only need humans to QC completed AI work...
Greedy companies will probably try and automate everything they can, then fire as many workers as they can get away with.

That is the future, but we're not quite there yet. But, fairly sure we eventually will be.
AI can already produce pretty decent stuff. :whistle::coffee:

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
I think all of this is inevitable. I enclose it under the heading "progress"

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
In this moment of "change", it is difficult for copyright rules to understand what was created by whom.
A solid, well-read post. But this is the part people need to look at - and why AI art in games like this will never be a thing. Even disregarding the lack of consistency that'll be prevalent in all AI art for at least the next few years. Which brings me back to this article:

Artists are traditionalists. No matter how open they are to the evolution of the medium, it has to be by one's own hand for it to be considered art. Not fingertips (to a keyboard), not words. But the strokes of a digital pen or a brush to canvas. Real artists are never going to consider anyone who uses words and a machine a real artist. But even that aside, can anyone argue how both ethically and morally wrong AI art truly is? You're taking two or more images - both copyrighted and stolen alike - mixed, and then spit out for anyone to use. That in and of itself isn't an issue. Photo-manipulators do it all the time (by hand, mind you, and often with paid stock images.). The issue is answered by looking on Twitter.

How many 'new artists' have you seen pop up on Twitter/DA/etc. recently showing off their impressive work? For every one person with a keen eye for fine arts or photo retouching/manipulation experience that can pick out a piece of AI-assisted art, there's a thousand people that see it as well-done art. The moral ambiguity of claiming art as your own because you typed a few sentences is both equally naive and evil. So, these people see this art and that this person has commissions open, they pay him for something, and he sends them whatever the SD/etc. spits back out. They sell that. The consumer entirely unaware that anyone can know take the work they paid for and use it as they wish. Because there's no copyright for AI art. Therein lies the issue with AI art and why it'll never become a mainstream medium until a robot is literally creating art itself.

AI Art is, in essence, high-tech plagiarism. If you steal a page out of another author's book and put it into your own and claim it as such, is that plagiarism? Of course, so why wouldn't putting two or more stolen images together not be? There's no ground, legal or otherwise, for an AI 'artist' to stand on when nothing of the work itself is their own. Calling a spade a spade, it's stolen. It can't be called anything else. Not progress, not evolution or enhancement of a medium. It's thievery, it's piracy.

Say lawmakers do go about making AI art copyrightable. Who starts using them? Companies. Who do companies pay to get stuff made? Artists. Who does this hurt? Artists. You're effectively cutting 2.5 million artists in the US alone off at the throat (whether it be pay cuts or outright firing) for a machine. That's just at a corporate/blue collar level. What about the millions of artists doing freelance stuff? The artists that make their living off of art competitions (e.g. the link above.) or galleries? So, mix that moral ambiguity with a large number of artists that likely won't go away quietly, and you'll likely end up with a "legal for personal, non-commercial use"-type case.

AI Art doesn't have a future as it currently stands.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
A solid, well-read post. But this is the part people need to look at - and why AI art in games like this will never be a thing. Even disregarding the lack of consistency that'll be prevalent in all AI art for at least the next few years. Which brings me back to this article:

Artists are traditionalists. No matter how open they are to the evolution of the medium, it has to be by one's own hand for it to be considered art. Not fingertips (to a keyboard), not words. But the strokes of a digital pen or a brush to canvas. Real artists are never going to consider anyone who uses words and a machine a real artist. But even that aside, can anyone argue how both ethically and morally wrong AI art truly is? You're taking two or more images - both copyrighted and stolen alike - mixed, and then spit out for anyone to use. That in and of itself isn't an issue. Photo-manipulators do it all the time (by hand, mind you, and often with paid stock images.). The issue is answered by looking on Twitter.

How many 'new artists' have you seen pop up on Twitter/DA/etc. recently showing off their impressive work? For every one person with a keen eye for fine arts or photo retouching/manipulation experience that can pick out a piece of AI-assisted art, there's a thousand people that see it as well-done art. The moral ambiguity of claiming art as your own because you typed a few sentences is both equally naive and evil. So, these people see this art and that this person has commissions open, they pay him for something, and he sends them whatever the SD/etc. spits back out. They sell that. The consumer entirely unaware that anyone can know take the work they paid for and use it as they wish. Because there's no copyright for AI art. Therein lies the issue with AI art and why it'll never become a mainstream medium until a robot is literally creating art itself.

AI Art is, in essence, high-tech plagiarism. If you steal a page out of another author's book and put it into your own and claim it as such, is that plagiarism? Of course, so why wouldn't putting two or more stolen images together not be? There's no ground, legal or otherwise, for an AI 'artist' to stand on when nothing of the work itself is their own. Calling a spade a spade, it's stolen. It can't be called anything else. Not progress, not evolution or enhancement of a medium. It's thievery, it's piracy.

Say lawmakers do go about making AI art copyrightable. Who starts using them? Companies. Who do companies pay to get stuff made? Artists. Who does this hurt? Artists. You're effectively cutting 2.5 million artists in the US alone off at the throat (whether it be pay cuts or outright firing) for a machine. That's just at a corporate/blue collar level. What about the millions of artists doing freelance stuff? The artists that make their living off of art competitions (e.g. the link above.) or galleries? So, mix that moral ambiguity with a large number of artists that likely won't go away quietly, and you'll likely end up with a "legal for personal, non-commercial use"-type case.

AI Art doesn't have a future as it currently stands.
"They took our jerbs."

The main issue is in the copyright, as you say, but most of the other issues you point out are basically the same as the backlash in any other industry when it comes to automation/innovation. Admittedly, there is another layer of complexity with the question, what is art?

Photography is considered art. They make this art by pressing a button on a camera, not with the "stroke of a digital pen or brush." You could say that creativity is the main criteria for art. This is something the machine is incapable of, but writing interesting prompts could be considered a creative input. It could be argued that AI art generators are not any different than other programs or tools people used to make art. Of course, there is a lot of nuance to it, but that argument could be made.

The concerns about plagirism is one such nuance. The AI is trained on a huge database and can emulate styles, but as far as I know, they look for patterns from the huge database that is the internet and put out something similar. My knowledge in this tech is limited, but I don't believe anyone is gonna be able to tell that this and that part of this AI art used my art as a basis. In that case, could you really call it plagiarism? Humans are influenced by their peers/predecessors when it comes to art as well. Philosophically, it's not too different, although the method in which the AI takes "inspiration" is a bit more direct.

As for the artists singing doom and gloom, it's the same thing we've seen all the time when new tech emerges that threatens the old school. It's gonna happen, one way or another. You have to pivot and position yourself correctly so you don't become obsolete. Trying to block innovation, convenience, accessibility, and perhaps most importantly, the bottom line of corporations is gonna be a losing battle.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Photography is considered art. They make this art by pressing a button on a camera, not with the "stroke of a digital pen or brush." You could say that creativity is the main criteria for art. This is something the machine is incapable of, but writing interesting prompts could be considered a creative input. It could be argued that AI art generators are not any different than other programs or tools people used to make art. Of course, there is a lot of nuance to it, but that argument could be made.
I mean, if you want to move the goalpost, that's fine. But you know exactly I meant. Photos are still taken by a human, held by a human hand, planned and adjusted by the human mind, edited by the human eye. A machine, the camera, is doing nothing more than taking a picture. A tool. No different than a brush, mouse, or tablet. Everything is still coming from the mind of a person.

Humanity is intrinsic to creativity. If I'm writing fiction or shooting a movie, it's coming from my imagination. If I'm painting on canvas, it's me putting pressure on that brush. If I'm drawing something in Photoshop, it's my wrist doing the movements. If I'm manipulating photos, I'm buying the images and putting them together (or getting sued for copyright infringement.). All done by a human hand, by a human mind and imagination. While the prompt may be considered art in the sense of fictional writing (I guess, though most of it tends to be incoherent.), an AI isn't. It's set of algorithms scanning through and essentially stealing pieces of other people's work, and bashes work together - quite impressively - but still theft nonetheless.

The concerns about plagirism is one such nuance. The AI is trained on a huge database and can emulate styles, but as far as I know, they look for patterns from the huge database that is the internet and put out something similar. My knowledge in this tech is limited, but I don't believe anyone is gonna be able to tell that this and that part of this AI art used my art as a basis. In that case, could you really call it plagiarism? Humans are influenced by their peers/predecessors when it comes to art as well. Philosophically, it's not too different, although the method in which the AI takes "inspiration" is a bit more direct.
The thing is, it still essentially amounts to taking parts of other people's copyrighted work and therefore is still plagiarism. Just because I take 20 pages from a 100 different books and shove them all into one doesn't make it mine, right? So, why should that apply to images? Why should that apply to people unknowingly, and rather unfairly, having their artwork stolen for no compensation or even credit? Why should someone else make a profit off of their hard work? "BuT i PuT iN a Pr0mPt. i WoRk3d HaRd WrItInG tHaT PArAgRaPh. WaY mOrE ThAn Th3 5o-pLuS hOuRs H3 sP3nt PaInTiNG iT!"

It doesn't matter if you can't tell, nor does it matter if Jane can't tell. Influence isn't direct theft or what should be a violation of copyright. It's taking the best pieces of someone's work and morphing them to fit your array and style. People can call it inspiration all they want, but everyone knows what it is. It's plagiarism, and common sense says stealing makes you a shit person. Especially when you start selling it as your own work to others who have limited knowledge of it (not you, obviously, but the many who are.) under the guise of a 'comission'.

As for the artists singing doom and gloom, it's the same thing we've seen all the time when new tech emerges that threatens the old school. It's gonna happen, one way or another. You have to pivot and position yourself correctly so you don't become obsolete. Trying to block innovation, convenience, accessibility, and perhaps most importantly, the bottom line of corporations is gonna be a losing battle.
As I said, artists are traditionalists. Always have been, always will be. Is it going to happen? Maybe. Hard to say right now, seeing as every single artist-focused platform is basically banning it for any meaningful profit outside of showing off your fake art for equally fake clout. DA being the exception, but they've been a sinking ship for years, doubt that's changing.

You act like artists haven't moved with the times. Computers, graphic tablets, iPads, 2-in-1 Laptops, phones. But it becomes a different story when your livelihood is being threatened by a machine. So, let's say AI art does take over. As I said, this basically kills tens of millions of jobs (if not way, way more.) and around world along with all those freelancers out there. So, artists move on with their life and find a new living. Start moving forward, with no new art being made, that pool becomes smaller and smaller. Therefore, more and more repetitive. Until art ultimately dies (I mean, if you put that tinfoil hat on, that's exactly what the government wants. Creativity breeds independence and critical thinking, the exact opposite of what the one-percent of the one-percent want.). What's the point in innovation and convenience when it's just giving the medium a slow death?

The reality is that AI, currently, is ultimately going to be a fad. Will eventually be only allowed for personal use (short of the stuff you have to pay for.) and be effectively killed off. Why? Because the root of it is that AI art is made for lazy people and non-artists to abuse and make a quick buck off of. I think everyone understands that by killing the medium (or by which that artists are paid), you kill the artists, and thus, eventually, the art itself. But yeah, "accessibility".

We're clearly going to agree to disagree on this given your whole 'jerbs' comment. So, I'm just gonna bow out here.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
The thing is, it still essentially amounts to taking parts of other people's copyrighted work and therefore is still plagiarism. Just because I take 20 pages from a 100 different books and shove them all into one doesn't make it mine, right? So, why should that apply to images? Why should that apply to people unknowingly, and rather unfairly, having their artwork stolen for no compensation or even credit? Why should someone else make a profit off of their hard work? "BuT i PuT iN a Pr0mPt. i WoRk3d HaRd WrItInG tHaT PArAgRaPh. WaY mOrE ThAn Th3 5o-pLuS hOuRs H3 sP3nt PaInTiNG iT!"

It doesn't matter if you can't tell, nor does it matter if Jane can't tell. Influence isn't direct theft or what should be a violation of copyright. It's taking the best pieces of someone's work and morphing them to fit your array and style. People can call it inspiration all they want, but everyone knows what it is. It's plagiarism, and common sense says stealing makes you a shit person. Especially when you start selling it as your own work to others who have limited knowledge of it (not you, obviously, but the many who are.) under the guise of a 'comission'.
If you take 20 pages from a bunch of books and come up with something not exactly the same, it won't have any legal repercussions. People can shit on it for being unoriginal, but you generally need some amount of identical words in a row, or in the case of music, chords/notes.

That's the thing with these AI images. Because the produced image is a morph of whatever pattern the AI employed from the data set, it's hard to make a clear cut case of plagiarism. It's not taking the arms of this picture, the body of that, the background from here, and making a collage. It's very hard to make a case for plagiarism here. You are reaching. A picture that is uploaded online is basically available to anyone. If you download a picture, run it through some program to find the color scheme used, and then use those data to make something else, you have tangibly used someone else's work in your creation. But that specific scenario wouldn't ever qualify as plagiarism. If they copy the poses, or do a trace art, or manipulate an image in such a way that raises suspicions, it would be a legal battle. It's a case by case situation because there is a certain level of subjectivity to the whole issue of inspiration vs copy and the nature of morphing.

Similarly, you could take someone's music and start manipulating it. If it's changed significantly, you are in the clear. If not, you need to get the sampling rights. In both cases, you took someone else's work as part of the data used to create a new thing. Clearly, just including a copyrighted work as part of a data set is not inherently copyright infringement. The amount of manipulation, the nature in which the data is interpreted, and the nature of the product is where the legal battle lies.

Sometimes the images look very similar to training images, making people talk about plagiarism. But that compressed representation doesn’t have the space for direct copies: it actually generates images anew from its extremely abstract internal representation. It is literally transformational use. If the output looks exactly like a particular input it is likely more due the input being something very archetypal.
Just some excerpt from a random article while I was googling about the topic. I'm no expert on machine learning or this tech in particular, but there is a reason very few people are taking your line of argument about plagiarism. It's a rather weak argument.

The real issue with copyright and what people are talking about is who owns the rights to the AI image? Is it the people who made the program? The people who trained it with neural net? The user who inputs the parameters? Is it even copyrightable? Things like that will take time to flesh out. The law always lags behind the tech.

The backlash from artists is not from the legal standpoint, but basically the usual "they took our jerbs." It's obviously disconcerting when an AI can make amazing art that is better than what you've been able to accomplish with decades of training. Of course, it will take a long while until the tech truly becomes the standard, if it ever gets to that point, but every single industry has the same issue looming over their heads. AI can diagnose better than human doctors. Eventually, it would certainly get to a point where AI controlled machines can do precision surgery better than any human can. Self driving cars would put taxi drivers out of business. This kinda thing has happened countless times in the past and will continue to happen in the future.

It's a slow, gradual march towards innovation. It's shitty for people who are negatively impacted, but it is what it is. If there is a more efficient way to do something, it will eventually happen. Fighting against this is basically the whole "but muh coal" mindset. Besides, in a creative field like art, the human essence is hard to replicate for a machine. Mechanically, the AI might produce great results, but real art probably needs to have something human in it, and there would always be consumers that prefer something human.

Reactions: Lyssa8 and eM-Ka

FlemManiac

Apr 17, 2020
The faster we move on from the garbage daz3d, koikatsu shit period the better.
Hope artists can utilize it smartly, so far we've seen very low effort demos.
We're most likely going to keep seeing low effort demos since Ai "art" is inherently low effort, if you like games that use Daz, Koik, congrats you're going to get FAT! with all that new content.

If you don't, prepare for an avalanche of trash filled with Aiart that either looks extremely generic and repetitive or is just visual vomit.

It's almost like automating art is a bad idea or something.

Reactions: PsychicStress

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020
Trying to block innovation, convenience, accessibility, and perhaps most importantly, the bottom line of corporations is gonna be a losing battle.
The bottom line of corporations is not one single party line, there's tons of legal offices with a vested interest in maintaining ip rights. The end result is likely something like minimum liability for business that make AI art programs and maximum liability for individuals who rip other people's art off. Because making it illegal for people to feed their own art into a legally owned AI program makes nil sense, so I expect that is going to be allowed.

For porn game development, my guess is that there are probably going to be a couple of smart artists who can get AI to work on their own artwork and fix up any errors quick to speed up their workflow. The rest of games with stolen AI art are mostly going to be the low to mid range of porn games, somewhere between the bottom feeder real-porn games and the wide mid to high range of devs that use images from Illusion games.

/oracle, now buy me a coffee

Last edited:

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
the whole issue is like asking "will there be games made with photoshop filters?" or "will photoshop filters remove the need for artists".

AI is a tool, a piece of software that does a certain thing. it can do some things, and not some others. will people use it? absolutely. will that remove the people who use it? no. the AI is not a dev. the AI is not an artist. it's a brush of sorts. a tool.

will it remove artists? no. being an artist is not about making brush strokes, the artist is not the tool. he's the user of the tool, which is brush strokes, an instrument, a piece of software. if you give the AI to a non artist you'll just get shit. the artist will always do the same thing infinitely better with the same exact tool.

the idea of AI replacing artists is like thinking grammar checkers would make anyone a novelist. that's not how writing works, that's not how making art works. art is not random generated variations of a theme (at least not in the practical level).

when will AI do the things people now think they can? when they become sentient (in the way humans are). not a moment sooner. (it's coming, but we're still lightyears away from that.)

SenMizeri

Sep 23, 2021
I have no strong opinions on AI art - ik a lot of people hate it, but I'm not "for" or "against" it, I don't think there's anything wrong with using AI to produce art and share it, as long as the person using it doesn't claim it's hand drawn art.

just curious if you think there'll soon be a bunch of solo-dev lewd games made with AI art?

again, I'm not for or against it, and tbh I don't know much about it - other than the gist of it.
Yeah, I think it's going to start replacing artists, especially in independent game development like porn games. One of the big pushers is the fact that piracy websites like F95, do cut into the profits of game devs.

I love F95, so not dissing it, but a way around it for a game dev, is to cut costs by not paying for commissions/artists. It's not actually affordable for most game devs, especially new ones. Everyone wants money, which is the 'artists' argument in a nutshell - because they'll lose money, but game devs also lose money in their own ways.

Why should a game dev, put in most of the work into a game, but be the biggest loser? Smarter choice to find a way to cut costs, and AI art is a way to do that. I think the most talented artists are going to pull through this, but a lot of mediocre ones are gonna start losing employment, and quite frankly, that's fair - new employment opportunities can be found, for people with skills that fit the new market. It's the way the world has always worked. The printing press replaced the scribe after all.

Sunguy

Apr 10, 2020
Are there any games out now that have this type of realism yet? see attached. it is safe for work.

luchettodj94

Dec 25, 2019
Right now other then releases with AI generated arts devs are experimenting with a direct involvement of the AI over the chars, mere proof of concept and far to be on acceptable state but is still something, should be something that could actually work in business market and so is believable that we will see similar project in the near future.
As for specific art that might be add into a vn eh.. perhaps when the AI can actually manage a full 3d scale of one definite object it will be the major step, right now models are just meshing everything that have to build something with the resemblance of what you inted but can't yet define on what to do next.