Ren'Py Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your computer?

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Okay - so my last update ended up with the little ‘run as administrator’ shield and asks to make changes to the computer. It never did this before, and I have no idea what I did to cause this... it shouldn’t need access to anything! Since it looks dodgy to some potential players, I’d like to know how to get rid of this for the next update. Can anyone help?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I don't understand windows
before it was never a concern, then they try to follow the more linux model that has a bit more security, or at least it is more in your face, and now you basically always have the prompt show up.

most updates and installs need admin privilege, because they are changing/accessing files that are protected (such as if you save the game instal in important directories like the program folder, you need admin privileges for programs to go in there). same thing happens with most program, if you save a word document to desktop, no pop up, but if you also try to saveas in the program folder, the computer won't allow it, unless you run in admin mode with the program.

so maybe now there are files being kept temporarily somewhere in key system folders such as the appdata folder or something, which means now it is asking for admin privilages.

riktor

Nov 26, 2018
, I’d like to know how to get rid of this for the next update. Can anyone help?
assuming you haven't changed renpy versions you could try just replaceing both executables (main dir and lib/windows-i686) with the ones from the previous build. No idea what would cause it though, shouldn't need admin rights at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: RanliLabz

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
assuming you haven't changed renpy versions you could try just replaceing both executables (main dir and lib/windows-i686) with the ones from the previous build. No idea what would cause it though, shouldn't need admin rights at all.
It is really weird! I just did a test build of my next version, and the problem seems to have gone on it's own... :unsure: perhaps a corrupted registry? Baffling. As Saki_Sliz says, trying to understand Windows is an impossibility :LOL:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In case this problem come back :

It never did this before, and I have no idea what I did to cause this...
And it have absolutely no reason to do this. The only files saved by Ren'py are put in the user/appData directory, and in a sub directory of the one where the game is located. The first case don't need a special authorization, and if the second one need an authorization, it would be asked when you start the game, then not needed anymore.

Since google found nothing that can looks like the problem you encountered, it's either related to your computer, or to your code.
Could it be that you tried to use an additional Python library ? One that would need to save data on its own, and tried to do it on a totally unsafe location ?
If not, my second guess would be that, for some reason, Ren'py updated its "path to [whatever]" (it can be the save file, its on disk cache, or the log files). But it have no reason to do so, and I'm not even sure that the code have some code which permit to do this.