Does DAZ leave fingerprints/identification in images?

FriendlyGhost

Sep 14, 2019
Hope this is the right place.

Im wondering if Daz Studio leaves any exif/fingerprints/identification in renders? Shit like what items were used, the name Daz is registered to, etc. If someone were to hypothetically make a game featuring beastiality, while in a country that really really really frowns on such abnormalities, can they expect a not so friendly visit from the Imam and/or law?

Of course paying for used assets is generally what one should do, but same question, if one can't afford the assets and borrows a few.... from places like this site, can the license holder/daz actually match up the game creator with their daz account and identify that the assets were pirated?

Ignoring the obvious solution of following the money trail through payment processors/patreon/whatever. Lets say the game is free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droid Productions

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

You can use xnconvert to strip metadata from your images

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Oh that's neat and usefull. So is that implying that Yes, Daz does add metadata?
No it doesn't. Even if it did, you should not use the image straight from Daz anyway, you should be converting the default png to the smaller jpg, all the properties show then that it's from photoshop (or whatever it is you use)

Reactions: recreation

Yustu

May 22, 2018
If it's how it is in Your country and You do plan to create what You plan to create then I would be more paranoid about local ISP etc. then about metadata in images...

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
First of all. VPN. All the time. It's common enough to add markers to anything you post/receive in plaintext. Like words beginning with Beast.

Secondly, anything that pays out will be traceable at some level. What's your solution there?

Three, avoid clear markers. This is generally an okay community, but the posts are searchable by Google. If you leave breadcrumbs (like "Yeah, I'll get back to it..meeting my family in Estaphan tonight, will fix it when I'm back") you are leaving yourself open to doxing. For reference, who raised and donated a million dollars to a children's hospital, only for the local newspaper to dig through 8 year old tweets looking for something to make him look bad.

CS Lewis said:
“Of all the tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under the omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber barons cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”
This holds true whether the person is a right-wing Imam, or a Left Wing Social Justice Warrior. So protect yourself.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
most modern devices leave a trail. when you create an image, identifying info including GPS coordinates can be hidden inside the image file
for your own safety and security, it's a good practice to strip off the metadata before uploading images on the web.

someone could use an exif reader, get your GPS location from your pics, and come knocking on your door.

20090304-e70-19kb.jpg
atp-photo-finder-2.jpg

Last edited:

Yustu

May 22, 2018
Few additional advices:

1. use open source - that way You do HAVE ability to browse src and see what actually happens behind the scene, i.e. convert image from PNG -> BMP / RAW -> PNG, that way You do know that there is not fingerprint in image (BMP/RAW don't support this, well RAWs probably do support. BMP no)
2. use VPN / TOR / Proxy etc. to protect Your data - so basically ENCRYPT any outgoing (in Your case) traffic

If You do plan to make profit out of it then You are probably out of luck all is traceable. Crypto is fine solution but is an hassle to work with and I think it can also be traced (i.e. IP info who visited wallet ???).

Many sites actually struggle with those kind of problems and solution, at least that actually works, is to host in country that don't have such law (law that site obide by is the law of country that physically servers are located in)

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Im wondering if Daz Studio leaves any exif/fingerprints/identification in renders?
It does not. The data in the image files is quite minimal.

Here's the metadata information out of a JPEG produced directly by Daz Studio:
jpg.png

And here's the details from a PNG file produced by Daz:
png.png

No GPS data, no copyright data, etc., etc., in either.

If you're on Windows, you can verify this yourself by right-clicking on the file, selecting "Properties" and looking at "Details."

As polywog indicates, cameras are entirely different beasts - they put a lot of information in the file. But Daz Studio doesn't. Of course, if you process a DS file through another application, you never know what the other application might add...

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
If you're on Windows, you can verify this yourself by right-clicking on the file, selecting "Properties" and looking at "Details."
That's misleading Rich, it's not just cameras, lots of devices, and software add metadata, typically your CPUid.. Windows "properties" does not display metadata. Photoshop XMP viewer doesn't even show all of the hidden data. Photoshop adds metadata to images, that allows them to be traced back to your computer. Here are some tools to see what metadata is in your images.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
That's misleading Rich, it's not just cameras, lots of devices, and software add metadata, typically your CPUid.. Windows "properties" does not display metadata. Photoshop XMP viewer doesn't even show all of the hidden data. Photoshop adds metadata to images, that allows them to be traced back to your computer. Here are some tools to see what metadata is in your images.
Which is why I said

Of course, if you process a DS file through another application, you never know what the other application might add...
The OP was asking about files that originated with Daz Studio, not ones that originated from cameras, scanners or other imaging devices. Yes, those devices can add all sorts of metadata to images they produce.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

The OP was asking about files that originated with Daz Studio, not ones that originated from cameras, scanners or other imaging devices. Yes, those devices can add all sorts of metadata to images they produce.
Nothing originates in Daz studio. Daz studio runs on a device, it is the device that originates the image. If you are running Daz studio on thin air, post a tutorial. Every Image made on a Mac has metadata, Windows depending on your settings.

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Nothing originates in Daz studio. Daz studio runs on a device, it is the device that originates the image. If you are running Daz studio on thin air, post a tutorial. Every Image made on a Mac has metadata, Windows depending on your settings.
Sigh. If you're going to take that position, then no "device" generates an image, all image files are generated by software. At best, the device provides the physical sensors (example - the CCD sensor in a camera) that can be read by the software and converted into a file format (JPEG, PNG, etc.) that can be used by other programs. But it is the software that determines the format in which the image data is encoded, and what metadata, if any, is included in the file. And the software, in this situation, is Daz Studio.

And it is perfectly possible to write software - on a Mac, on Windows, on Linux, etc. - that generates image files that do not contain metadata. Trust me, I've done it, being a professional programmer who's been working with image files for decades. Or are you suggesting that when I write code that sends a series of bytes out to a file, that Windows or MacOS somehow magically knows that I'm writing an image file, intercepts what I'm writing and inserts data I don't intend to be there, magically knowing that since I'm writing a JPEG file that it should insert JPEG-compatible metadata? If so, you know very little about how software or operating systems work. If a file written by Photoshop contains metadata, it's because the programmers that wrote Photoshop decided to add the metadata when Photoshop outputs the file, not because Windows or MacOS or Intel or AMD somehow magically decides that they're going to toss their own contributions into the file.

That's not to say that there aren't Windows-based or Mac-based image API's that, if you choose to use them, might add some type of metadata to a file. But PNG and JPEG files output by Daz Studio simply do not have the kind of things in them that you assert. Period. I've written software that reads them to do post-processing on them, so I know what they contain and what they do not.

If you'd like to prove me wrong, show me a dump of an image directly output from Daz Studio, without having been processed by any other application afterward, and show me where the CPU ID or GPS data or whatever it is that you assert the "device" is inserting into that file is located.

L.Lumpy

Jan 3, 2019
Do you deliberately go out of your way to post misinformation like this, or do you believe this fiction? Exactly what are these so-called Windows settings that control whether or not an image created by a program on Windows will have metadata or not?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Sigh. If you're going to take that position, then no "device" generates an image, all image files are generated by software. At best, the device provides the physical sensors (example - the CCD sensor in a camera) that can be read by the software and converted into a file format (JPEG, PNG, etc.) that can be used by other programs. But it is the software that determines the format in which the image data is encoded, and what metadata, if any, is included in the file. And the software, in this situation, is Daz Studio.

And it is perfectly possible to write software - on a Mac, on Windows, on Linux, etc. - that generates image files that do not contain metadata. Trust me, I've done it, being a professional programmer who's been working with image files for decades. Or are you suggesting that when I write code that sends a series of bytes out to a file, that Windows or MacOS somehow magically knows that I'm writing an image file, intercepts what I'm writing and inserts data I don't intend to be there, magically knowing that since I'm writing a JPEG file that it should insert JPEG-compatible metadata? If so, you know very little about how software or operating systems work. If a file written by Photoshop contains metadata, it's because the programmers that wrote Photoshop decided to add the metadata when Photoshop outputs the file, not because Windows or MacOS or Intel or AMD somehow magically decides that they're going to toss their own contributions into the file.

That's not to say that there aren't Windows-based or Mac-based image API's that, if you choose to use them, might add some type of metadata to a file. But PNG and JPEG files output by Daz Studio simply do not have the kind of things in them that you assert. Period. I've written software that reads them to do post-processing on them, so I know what they contain and what they do not.

If you'd like to prove me wrong, show me a dump of an image directly output from Daz Studio, without having been processed by any other application afterward, and show me where the CPU ID or GPS data or whatever it is that you assert the "device" is inserting into that file is located.
No, you have it completely backwards. Software can't do anything without hardware.
It's true that software can manipulate hardware to do work, but software is worthless without hardware.
While hardware on the other hand can be wholly mechanical, and not need software at all.

8hoor4i03kaz.jpg

In the words of Einstein "Logic is but a tool, it has never created a thing" software can't do shit by itself.

L.Lumpy

Jan 3, 2019
Rich, you might as well give up. Pollywog is clearly proving .

Reactions: hiya02

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
First of all. VPN. All the time. It's common enough to add markers to anything you post/receive in plaintext. Like words beginning with Beast.

Secondly, anything that pays out will be traceable at some level. What's your solution there?

Three, avoid clear markers. This is generally an okay community, but the posts are searchable by Google. If you leave breadcrumbs (like "Yeah, I'll get back to it..meeting my family in Estaphan tonight, will fix it when I'm back") you are leaving yourself open to doxing. For reference, who raised and donated a million dollars to a children's hospital, only for the local newspaper to dig through 8 year old tweets looking for something to make him look bad.

This holds true whether the person is a right-wing Imam, or a Left Wing Social Justice Warrior. So protect yourself.
To think that you're protected by using a VPN is ridiculous. The VPN provider is obligated to keep records of their users and their REAL ip-addresses. And, if the authorities are at their doorstep and require information with a warrant, they really have nothing they can do. They don't have any confidentiality that supersedes local (and international) law.