Does high resolution(2K-4K) rendering have an effect for 1080p monitor users?

Derezz

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2019
Does 2K or 4K rendering have an effect for 1080p monitor users?

Apr 24, 2020
File size would be the most obvious.
You'll likely have to think about optimizing your images in general, since just rendering a crap ton of images with minor variations can already have a significant impact on the file size. This can have an effect on easy it is for you to share your work.

Reactions: Derezz

Derezz

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2019
File size would be the most obvious.
You'll likely have to think about optimizing your images in general, since just rendering a crap ton of images with minor variations can already have a significant impact on the file size. This can have an effect on easy it is for you to share your work.
Um.. Thx for the comment but what i'm trying to say is, do they(1080P monitor users) feel any difference in image quality? Is there any benefit for them if I make my renders 4k?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
One thing to consider: if you plan to use any "pseudo animations" (as example of this is the awesome Light of My Life) in your game by using RenPy's ATL features, like subtle panning around or zooming in/out to give the still images some life, then you'll need images that are larger than screen resolution. one easy way to acheive that is to render at > screen res. However, 4K would be huge overkill in this case - 20% oversize is plenty.

Another thing: many creators suggest rendering in 4K resolution but at a low number of iterations and then scaling down to 1080. This allows "grain" to be largely removed by the scaling process averaging 4 pixels into one, while still being almost as fast as rendering at 1920x1080.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
They won't look any different, you just think they do. The only real reason to upscale, is when you down scale it removes any noise, it's the ultimate denoiser. I use for animations on occasion.

cbsx

May 4, 2020
They won't look any different, you just think they do. The only real reason to upscale, is when you down scale it removes any noise, it's the ultimate denoiser. I use for animations on occasion.
Rendering at native 4k and downscaling to 1080p makes a difference, I don't get your first sentence at all.

This is like saying 4x Super Sampling anti-aliasing or using nVidia Dynamic Super Resolution or AMD Virtual Super Resolution doesn't look any better than native 1080p.

Were you taking the OP's comment to mean to upscale 2x or 4x and then downscale back again?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Rendering at native 4k and downscaling to 1080p makes a difference, I don't get your first sentence at all.

This is like saying 4x Super Sampling anti-aliasing or using nVidia Dynamic Super Resolution or AMD Virtual Super Resolution doesn't look any better than native 1080p.

Were you taking the OP's comment to mean to upscale 2x or 4x and then downscale back again?
I'm saying in my first game I did the first 500 or so images upscaling, then stopped and no one including me, noticed any difference. If you were making really long render time portraits maybe it would, but not in VN's with a couple thousand samples.

Reactions: cbsx

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I prefer rendering at the resolution I need the images. Yes downscaling will improve the image quality a little but it also takes more video memory and takes longer to render. Seen as my scenes are usually quite large and hurt for video memory I prefer to render at 1080p for now.

cbsx

May 4, 2020
I suppose it also may be different from my initial thoughts as I was thinking about real-time rendering, and the subpixel accuracy of Iray is much higher to start with.

GNVE what if the video card likes its VRAM to hurt a little. :unsure: Don't kink shame. :p

• Haha
Reactions: GNVE

SSWorldMaker

Game Developer
Jul 17, 2018
There is a noticable difference between native 1080p and 2160p downscaled to 1080p, the sharpness is greatly improved in 3d render (smooth shapes edge too).