Doing a clean install on my macbook. Are the progress in these games saved within the gamefile itself?

Ninjasquirrel

Sep 9, 2018
So, I got a bunch of games that I think 99% of them has just been to unzip and click on the game icon, no install process etc.. Maybe it's not the same for all of these games, but generally speaking, can I just move the games to an external drive and put them back into my game-folder after clean install, without losing progress, or is the progress saved in some hidden directory on my mac?

Thanks

Xanado

May 9, 2018
Not a mac user but I'm pretty sure mac like pc has a folder or 2 for application data on the main drive. You should probably google "mac game save location" and explore folders that pop up on that search. Back the game folders up and transfer them to the reinstall. Hopefully someone more mac savvy will give you better direction.

Good Luck

Reactions: Ninjasquirrel

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
So, I got a bunch of games that I think 99% of them has just been to unzip and click on the game icon, no install process etc.. Maybe it's not the same for all of these games, but generally speaking, can I just move the games to an external drive and put them back into my game-folder after clean install, without losing progress, or is the progress saved in some hidden directory on my mac?

Thanks
For RenPy games the progress, same as save points, are stored in the persistent file. The save folder you see inside your game.app folder is a mirror. The real save directory is located in your system's hidden ~/Library folder. Either in ~/Library/Renpy/[GameName] or in ~/Library/Application Support/.

If you want to store or move a game from your main drive to an external drive you have to make sure that your system as read and write permission to your external hard drive otherwise you won't be able to launch and/or save the game.

I'm a Linux user and my HDD use Ext4 as file system. I have Being A DIK and Treasure of Nadia stored on an external HDD which I had to format to Ext4 too. I tried FAT32 before, but got permission errors when I tried to launch the game.

Some Unity-based games require to be "installed"/stored in your Application folder to get access to your system's hidden ~/Application Support folder. Often this directory is where Unity-based game have their save files stored.

Good luck.

Reactions: Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel

Sep 9, 2018
For RenPy games the progress, same as save points, are stored in the persistent file. The save folder you see inside your game.app folder is a mirror. The real save directory is located in your system's hidden ~/Library folder. Either in ~/Library/Renpy/[GameName] or in ~/Library/Application Support/.

If you want to store or move a game from your main drive to an external drive you have to make sure that your system as read and write permission to your external hard drive otherwise you won't be able to launch and/or save the game.

I'm a Linux user and my HDD use Ext4 as file system. I have Being A DIK and Treasure of Nadia stored on an external HDD which I had to format to Ext4 too. I tried FAT32 before, but got permission errors when I tried to launch the game.

Some Unity-based games require to be "installed"/stored in your Application folder to get access to your system's hidden ~/Application Support folder. Often this directory is where Unity-based game have their save files stored.

Good luck.
That helped, thanks

Ninjasquirrel

Sep 9, 2018
Not a mac user but I'm pretty sure mac like pc has a folder or 2 for application data on the main drive. You should probably google "mac game save location" and explore folders that pop up on that search. Back the game folders up and transfer them to the reinstall. Hopefully someone more mac savvy will give you better direction.

Good Luck
That helped. Two good replies. Cheers