Downgrading renpy games.

Alex_117

Mar 19, 2024
Hi , I have an old computer with core 2 duo E8400 from 2008 (GMA 4500 supports opengl 2.1) Running windows 10 22H2 19045. I tried running seeds of chaos and it gives me black screen with only texts , same goes to other games with newer renpy version (what a legend , our red string) old games like witch trainer, princess trainer and summertime saga had no issues.

So, someone mentioned downgrading game versions worked for him in this thread
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-performance-warning.107433/post-7490968

If it is true and can be pulled off by someone who has no experience in programming please consider sending me a guide on how to do that. Thanks <3

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
So, someone mentioned downgrading game versions worked for him in this thread
It works, but with a lot of reserve and limitation, and until the moment it will not works anymore. If there's new versions it's for a reason. Between the few changes in the configuration, and the new features, downgrading Ren'Py is like playing Russian roulette.

Like your GPU is too old and its drivers not updated since a tenth years, the most common solution can't be used.
So the first thing to do is to try to change the graphic core used by Ren'Py. For this press Shift + G once you're on the game main menu, and change the "Renderer" to GL1 or ANGLE1.
If there's no GL1/ANGLE1 options shown, there's still the possibility to try what is said in the second part of this post.

If none of those two solutions works, then downgrading Ren'Py version will not works too.