VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Dr. Amana, Sexual Therapist [v2.0.0P] [Ianvs]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Jaango

It's a good game with nice story. You are telling your life story to therapist you can choose which character you can tell her first. Some are story are nice and engaging some not so. Renders are good considering the year it was released first. There are red and blue choices. Blue is more gentlemanly approach. Red is little asshole approach approach some girls prefers blue some red there is guide in the OP you can check which girl prefers which choices. NTR is completely avoidable you can turn it off or it will only trigger if you behave asshole towards wife. V2 and v1.1.5 are similar in size but V2 only got Cassie content. Game is comparatively shorter. You will be disappointed if you are playing this for pregnancy no one will get pregnant in v1.1.5 in V2 you will get notification that Cassie got pregnant after sex. But that's it then game ends afterwards. Game is abandoned too hence the average rating.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

Spinxas

The writing, renders, some animations, plot and story is amazing. Such a shame that the game is super short and very limited content is available.
    Player can interact with multiple different characters and experience each story uniquely, making decisions that changes their view of the MC. There are some animations that are not full screen and looks out of place, but apart from that did not have any issues.
    Sadly there is not a lot of content available in the game and can be finished under an hour, hence average rating.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Real shame this was abandoned. I really like father daughter games, so this rating is mostly for the second part of the game, but the content with the pink haired girl in the first part was good too. Renders are quite good.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

novunu

This VN is a real gem. Both lines (blue and red) are amazing. Writing, models, rendering are simply great, it feels like I have lived this all by myself. 5/5 (if I could I would give it 6/5 without a doubt). AMAZING!!! Please dev do not abandon this treasure
  5. 4.00 star(s)

Geralt_R

Dr Amana is unfortunately yet another game that is currently on hold. As things are there is not all that much content available, however, all that being said, the content that IS available is pretty great.

First there is the writing. Compared to almost any other VN Dr Amana hits Shakespeare levels. By that I mean the dialogue sounds natural, there are only very few typos, the narration is on point and the main story about the MC and the power play at his company is very interesting, you will never skip anything here even if the game, at least in chapters 1 and 2, is very dialogue heavy and doesn't have too much sex.

What is also very refreshing is the fact that Dr Amana does not include any of the overused tropes. You know the usual drill... teasing... more teasing... lots more teasing, then the patented progression route and the trademarked dialogue "I am not ready yet, but we can do other things".
    Dr Amana does not resort to that at all, which may be surprising when you come from other VNs that usually do this.

You do get a lovely scene with Cassie (the daughter) in Chapter 3 and any other game would have merely used the setup here to start the teasing route. Not so here, there is one moment where you think... ok, now the game will resort to the patented VN romance progression system and things will come to an end... but then things progress all the way without insulting your intelligence. And Dr Amana manages to make this moment feel natural, as in, not rushed, it's perfectly understandable why, after the setup (considering all chapters and previous interactions), the two characters go all the way. It's like most normal people with a heartbeat and some passion inside them would behave in this situation.

The scene with Cassie, the only substantial one you get in release 2.0, is also pretty long and things are not cut short, there are several interactions with Cassie and after all the action there is a longer dialogue scene that delves into what the characters feel about all that and why they feel what they feel, mostly from Cassie's perspective, but it makes everything more believable and you will understand her mindset, much more at least than in most other similar VNs.
    And any other game would have stretched the content you get here over several updates and you would have needed to wait 12-24 months real time to reach the conclusion, with 1,000 blowjobs, handjobs etc inbetween. It was really something else that the dev decided NOT to do that and to instead make things feel just natural, going all the way, without unneeded teasing or delays that would have felt rather forced in this particular situation.

However, not everything is perfect. The renders in the first two chapters appear to have a rather low resolution and depending on monitor size things can look a bit blurry.
    The first release does have a few animations, but I encountered a bug that played some of the animations in an overlay and not full screen.
    Chapter 3, the second major release, has no animations at all, however, that being said, you won't really miss them.
    Each scene gets several renders and the narration is beautiful and on point, not slutty, not too verbose, it just sets the right mood. The scene in chapter 3 was much better and more sensual than most animated scenes in other games, at least for me. One reason is certainly that the two characters in the scene have more depth to them. And many animations are usually of the robotic variety with 1 or 2 second loops. The static renders with narration are so much better than that in Dr Amana.

So don't let yourself deter from checking out the game just because chapter 3 has no animations and the first two chapters only have few.

Another thing that is unfortunate however, is the fact that there is no savegame transfer between the first and second release, so you have to set relationship statuses and paths manually. Not a major hassle maybe, but somewhat unfortunate.

The game uses a variation of the Mass Effect paragon/renegade system. You have kind and loving choices and then more assertive and aggressive choices. However, the latter doesn't mean the MC is evil or bad, he is just a lot more forward and a bit more aggressive in his actions. And certain characters prefer that.

So romance scenes are locked behind what path your choose for each character. Cassie is all about love, Jane will love it when you support her rebel side. If you get no scenes with Jane in the first release then because you didn't appeal to her rebellious nature.

One major drawback of the paragon/renegade system here is that it's not universal, i.e. the status is separate for each of the characters and paths and the MC can feel a bit bi-polar and schizophrenic depending on what paths you choose for each character. If, for example, you go all renegade with Jane the MC is pushing all of Jane's buttons and things do escalate rather quickly (maybe a bit too quickly), you can also get an early scene with the japanese coworker if you become too dominant.
    But if you then treat other characters more kindly, more understanding and somewhat more passive, the MC is an entirely different person and there is this huge disconnect between scenes.

If you want a consistent experience I would recommend you use a balanced approach for the Japanese coworker, so that you merely get a kiss early on, which can be understood as some kind of power play between the characters (it's a constant tug of war between them), but that the scene does not escalate to sex. This will also result in a much sweeter scene with the wife and you do have the chance to get closer to her, so you miss an early scene but you are rewarded with a different scene with the wife, and that scene was also more romantic and nicer overall. If you like more romantic and nice things.

And even if you may want to have fun with Jane I highly recommend you do not go after her IF you also want to pursue your wife and especially Cassie and Amanda, since it just feels odd when the MC has these massive shifts in behaviour between characters. Of course this only applies to someone who would want to have a more or less consistent story and narrative. You can always save the game and look at Jane's scene by using the renegade options with her, but for a "canon" route I really recommend you don't do that.

The first release had some issues with the music on my system, not often, but sometimes, and the music can sound a bit distorted. It was not too bad and I could tolerate it, but if you cannot tolerate that you may want to deactivate the music perhaps.
    The music itself is good though. There are songs with vocals, it's not all instrumental. The songs worked and set the right mood.

Back to the positive things... there is no forced content here, i.e. no forced kinks. You can disable things you don't like, like NTR, which, as of now, is not really implemented and it also depends on how you treat other people. If you don't treat your wife with kindness and love there is a short scene in chapter 3 that hints at her being unfaithful. But if you treat her lovingly nothing like that happens.

There are also options for pregnancy and how much of a chance you have to impregnate someone. You can set it to 100% if you like. With all the consequences. In chapter 3 you can also customize the MC and change character models. His face is mostly hidden throughout the game though. but you do see it sometimes.

A thing I find very odd is the title of the game: Dr Amana. You would think the therapist would play an important role here, I mean, the game is titled after her. But after the prologue she basically disappears and has zero scenes or dialogue. I would have expected that the MC will talk about his experiences with the various characters after each scene with Amana... only he doesn't.

Should the game ever be continued I think this is something the dev should consider adding. Scenes with Amana could help the player (and the MC) to reflect on what just happened.

So... should you play Dr Amana? If you like story driven games that have a good story and are well written with characters that feel like actual human beings... yes. Even though it's woefully incomplete and on hold currently. Which can be very frustrating of course. But still, just give it a try. You can play all three chapters in one session, game length is ok for three chapters, but it will not test your patience or be over too soon.
    And the long scene with Cassie in chapter 3 is one of the best romance scenes I have seen in a game, and that without any animations. It's even more unfortunate that things end after Cassie's scene, when things get really interesting. But it is what it is... most VNs never get completed... let's hope this game can beat that curse, despite being on hold already.

Overall Dr Amana is a game that defies some expectations, it doesn't use too many of the usual tropes, it doesn't tease incessantly when the teasing no longer makes any sense, it doesn't delay things unnecessarily or pads content where no padding is required. The people in the game behave more or less like actual people.

It would be nice if the game finds enough support so that it can keep going. Dr Amana has the potential to become one of the few excellent VNs, despite some technical issues in the first two chapers with the music and the low res renders.

The characters however all look nice and natural. The young girls all have slender bodies and smaller or normal sized breasts, the wife is more curvy but not not to the point she looks like some sex doll, it's still on the natural side of things, which is always appreciated.

So, give it a try! The only real thing that will disappoint you is that everything stops after chapter 3, but the journey to the current stop point is quite enjoyable. And as I pointed out a few times now... it's REALLY refreshing to find a game where the romance is neither rushed nor padded with teasing and just progresses naturally and has a realistic pace.
  6. 3.00 star(s)

y0rthan

This would have been a five-star review, had I only played v1.1.5, but since 2.0.0 is part of the same game, I have to look at it as a whole.

I'll start first with the technical quality. I have no issues with the rendering or the music, those are all fine. Are they best I've ever seen? Maybe not. But are they jarring or take me out of the narrative? Not at all. (I ran into some weirdness where the animations only took up part of the screen, but that may have been the computer I was playing it on, I won't know 'til I'm back to my main setup.)

The writing was above average as well. Some typos, but that seems par for the course with these, and none of it gave me the impression that the characters didn't know what they were saying.

I also liked that each LI had different reactions to what the MC said and did, so it wasn't a sort of cut-and-dried "Is the MC an asshole or not?" Though it does hew fairly closely to a sort of Paragon/Renegade system a la Bioware's Mass Effect games. I only wish it would have affected the player's options going forward, but as far as I can tell it only changed what the LI's said and did (with some dialogue changes for the player depending on what was said in the past. Though sometimes the game didn't always remember what actually was said, like if someone said I called someone a bastard when I never made that choice.)

I was most caught up in the office intrigue, which seemed like the key plot throughout this, since I was talking to a therapist. I also wasn't clear how much it mattered what the therapist thought of me, but I played as thought it mattered. In fact, every choice I made, I made with the assumption that it would matter down the line, perhaps even with some degree of nuance. Had that been the case, this would be a 5-star rating and I'd be speaking more highly overall of the game.

Unfortunately, with 2.0.0, so much of what I thought mattered was tossed aside. This was somewhat clear from the outset, when the game tried to let me "restore" my standing with people, by asking if they were Red or Blue. Which was a significant departure from what I had going, because for instance, with my wife's character, there was mostly love but also some hatred. But if you say she's Blue, none of that hatred transfers over. Same with the other characters. I had a very careful balancing act with my coworker/handler, but not only did that get lost in the Blue/Red binary choice, but AFAIK it didn't even matter what I chose for 2.0.0, because -- spoiler alert --
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    . Now I realize this could change in the future, presumably, but I can only go off of what currently exists. (So if when you read this it's wll past v2.0.0, then maybe disregard this element.) It just felt like I was making choices that I might have to recall again later, giving the ostensible narrative a disjointed feel overall.

I've seen some people complain about the chronology of events, but I didn't mind that, since I could imagine the MC telling the story out of order to the therapist, though it would have been cool to incorporate more prior knowledge into the narration. (Something like "When this happened, I didn't already know how [so-and-so] felt about me.")

It also felt like the game has dispensed with the therapist angle, which is weird since that's the name of the game. Her face is still in the opening menu, but at no point did it seem to me like I was talking to her. (Though I suppose technically that's who the MC is narrating to even in this part.) Maybe there are technical reasons for this, as I admit I haven't looked into the development history of the game. Whatever the case, part 2 feels like a shadow of part 1, to the point where I almost wish I had stopped at 1.1.5 so that I'd have nothing but goodwill toward the game overall.

One more spoilery thing about the transition from 1 & 2, in particular as it relates to one of the plot-relevant individuals from part 1:
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Overall this was an okay game that started out with great potential, and it'd be nice to see it get that back somehow in the future.
  7. 3.00 star(s)

infomercial

When I read all the praise about this game and saw the game was updated years ago I was expecting a much more completed game and damn that was a wrong expectation. I don't get the hype really. The content it has isn't bad but the game easily has years before the completion considering the ambitions of the game and the rate of progress it got so far. I mean with all this hype I'm not sure if I'm missing a chunk of content in this game because I played the free version. Anyway as for the review:
    -Writing is pretty good for western VN standards which doesn't mean much frankly but yeah it's well written story going at a decent pace without being a childish vomit draft of derivative fantasies or an overwritten long slog(extremely common in the incest harem WEG genre)
    -The CGs sometimes look good, sometimes not really, I think the dev has good eyes for composition but there are quite a few renders that look amateurish
    -I turned off most sounds in 1.1.5 because there was some problem with the sound quality, maybe it's on my end. The amount of vocal songs in the Cassie chapter 3 was annoying so I don't really agree with that direction choice. Still yeah it's a WEG with music, that's a rare thing even though I'm complaining about choices. If you don't like it go listen your playlist.
    -It's just painfully unfinished. I'd say 1.1.5 doesn't even feel like 25% done and the 2.0.0 felt like the writer just skipped a ton of development between characters and squeezed it into a day. I don't like this approach, if it's going to be finished with chapters like this then my praises on writing wouldn't apply anymore. So I'm hoping that there will be content connecting that chapter with the 1.1.5 at future.
    Score: 2,5/3 rounded up to 3

tldr I got blueballed hard by this game
  8. 4.00 star(s)

vigasvelho

How much I regret waiting so long to play this game. This game is as close to a S tier game in my list as it can get. Even though I don't find most of the main LI's models particularly attractive (and that's mostly the reason why it took me so long to dive into it.), the renders are great and the sex scenes are ok. Sex scenes are nothing to write home about - if you would. But that by no means influenced in my ratings.

First of all, lets start with a few positives in this game:
    - The writing: Even though this game needs desperately someone to fix the HUGE amount of mistakes and misspelling, the pacing of the story, its storytelling and the character development of both the MC and their LIs feels really good.
    - The Characters: Not only they are organic, they feel believable and likable (well... at least to an extent. I mean, it is hard enough to find one 18yo teenager who listen to adult's advices... Finding 3? ooooh man THAT is hard to believe lol)
    - The Setting. Man, the setting is nice. Not talking much about it, but it's awesome (you can read it in the "spoiler" section of the game overview)

Things that I did not like (these were the elements that took it out of the S tier status to me):
    - The Timeline: I know that the game tries to leave you free to explore the LI you want at the pace you want, but it shouldn't come at the cost of messing with the timeline. I know this is a story about a guy telling a story, but honestly, it makes no sense to me someone telling a story like: "we were doing X then one week later the X event, Z happened. Then, at night, after X event, Y happened" You either should remove the time-link between two events or make the be "timeline-faithful". Both doesn't work, honestly.
    - The Sound: That's more of a bug than a feature that I didn't like. But it really needs to be fixed. Whenever there's a soundtrack with low notes, the sound starts clipping. And it's really loud and annoying, to the point that you have to turn off the sound until that scene is over.
    - The Accent Transcription: I really don't like when writers try to portray accent through writing, because the absolute majority of the time it's done really, really poorly and gives much more the vibes of prejudice than properly trying to portray that particular accent (if you want to portray the character's accent, write it as you normally would and then give a brief explanation on the accent. If done well, MOST of the time the reader will have the mind note of that accent and they by themselves will portray it in their minds)

Overall, this is a damn great game and it deserves your time. If you like the LI models and my cons don't really bother you that much, it'll maybe be one of the best games you'll play.
    Version played: v1.1.5 only.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

today

Review as of v2.0.0P

This is probably a 4.5 star game, but it wouldn't feel right giving it 4 stars, mainly due to the quality of the writing and the fact that it has one of the best father/daughter dynamics of the games I've played, and is worth playing solely for that.

Admittedly I skipped a lot of the other content (sorry dev), as some of the character models and/or their personalities I didn't find attractive. And, other than the intro, I skipped all of the corporate drama story as I don't find that at all interesting (sorry again). But I still enjoyed this, mainly due to the wife, daughter, and the cute girl with pink hair (Amanda?).

The renders are good, not the best in terms of image quality, but the camera work is there. There's some great posing for the sex scenes, including some nice tweaks of the breasts position/shape, which is always appreciated. The environments are used well, especially the house, which feels somewhat like a real place and not just a floating room. I didn't notice any animations for the sex scenes, but maybe that's because I was caught up in the dialog. At any rate, they weren't necessary as the images/narrative were more than enough to make the scenes erotic.

In summary, you should play this game if you're a fan of good writing and good father/daughter stories.
  10. 2.00 star(s)

botaniq_1

On the main screen i saw zero beautiful girls but still gave this game a chance. But every girl looks like a man with implants. Gameplay is unusual but not in a good way, for me it made zero sense
    You just switch between random girls choosing red or blue dialogue gaining random stats and wait for a scene, very boring
  11. 5.00 star(s)

dietmountaindew

I really love this game, wish it had more new content since I last played a year ago, but what's here is so fucking good.

The game does the whole point system and love/corruption paths (something like, every VN tries, and often fails to do) very well. I felt gross as hell for being pervy to Amanda, not gonna' lie.

I understand some people having gripes with the nice guy choices being too submissive, but like, that was never a deal breaker for me, as I didn't follow a path as much as I just picked whatever choice felt right.

I very much enjoyed the characters. Especially the teenagers. And the overall concept of the VN is a breath of fresh air.

There are a few minor typos here and there, but the writing is also solid for the most part.

I'm also super excited to see that implementation of the pregnancy mechanic in the near future (hopefully?) as the Dev has proven to be very talented.

(Side note: While there is some sexual content, there isn't an insane amount at the moment. I feel like there was just enough to compliment the pacing, personally.)

I need moreee. 5*
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Mahay

This VN is brillian in all aspects. Whether it's compelling writing in the story, for the protagonist, and support characters to the erotic situations. Hell, even the sound design was pretty nice. It's rare that a VN hits all the right notes but this one does.
  13. 3.00 star(s)

dustbluemoon

I want to like this game, really I do, but... I just don't care about anyone besides the teenagers. And even then, its mostly because they're the best models. Everyone feels very stereotypical- right down to the Hispanic maid. It really leans into every generic character-type fetish so if thats all you're looking for it works fine? I'm giving 3 stars because I really am invested in the main plot and I love the game mechanic of having 2 polarizing relationship metrics for each character. It actually lets your MC have a distinct personality and vary it for each relationship. I'm also hoping that all the choices you make with one character start to really impact other characters down the line.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

nathanjoneswork2

Probably one of the most compelling plotline out there, and one of best written stories in terms of varied characters, as well as the sheer genuineness of the dialogues and interaction.
    This one is a pure gem and a pure delight to play. The Art is fantastic as well, but it is also a slow burn though its very gratifying to see the adventures unfold piece by piece. Great job.
  15. 3.00 star(s)

Dudlbert

Waited the whole last year and got dissapointed as hell.

The graphics and all are fine. Story is ok too BUT no matter wich path you chose, there is no difference shown visually except text and and sometimes clothes. Huge let down that the new sex scene isnt changing at all if you switch paths - Only the dialogues are...

Ill wait for the next update but if there are now changes in the scenes too, im done with it.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

docjorge

The story is good, don't want to put in any spoilers, but there actually is a decent plot line to this novel. I like the non-linear way you choose how the story goes. I played through once choosing different paths and now I want to go play through again to see if anything changes.
  17. 2.00 star(s)

Profound_Madman

I've started playing this game last year and wanted to enjoy it, but I just couldn't. In this storyline there's two paths of what seems to be a Good/submissive one and a Bad/Asshole path. That is where the game irritates me, it's the whole notion that being a nice guy means you're soft or submissive, which is bullshit. When you're on the Asshole path you get more pussy, more respect and everything seems steamier compared to the latter. I don't like that, in what world does being a prick get the panties to drop much quicker? Take Nanami's route for instance, with her doing either a dominant guy or a submissive puppet. When you're dominant you get pussy, or than that it's a slow burn handjob. Same thing with Jane and Amanda, everything moves much faster when your on the prick path.

The Devs adds NTR, but will use the backdoor, subtle approach so there's that. There's also this random customize Main character feature which came out of nowhere. You can now be a Black dude or Asian or whatever your hearts desire. Why wait this long to add such a feature? Why not have something like this implemented from the beginning? Those are gripes. The characters for the most part are okay Amanda and Nanami are the reason I played as well as Lupita. Not really head over heels for the other girls.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

weretiger

This is a really nice game to start with. What do I like most: Nice plot. Sexy women. Nice graphic with catch the atmoshpere of the game. Many choices which influence the women after your liking. Not a fast fapping game but the longer you play it the hotter it becomes. What I do not like: The points which you earn by you decisions are not so clear which results might come out later. This could have being much easier to understand for what they stay for. Rest of the game 5 of 5!
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Taboo Lord

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by this game and its originality. I was expecting the standard incest game, but this was more complex and has a really good story additionally. If I could ask for anything more in this game, it would probably be a little bit more rough sex/barely consensual sex if not rape as well as a little more emphasis on the dad/daughter relationship. These things are in abundance thankfully so most of my needs are satisfied and I encourage others to try this game out!
  20. 4.00 star(s)

Gray21

Very good writing and base story, all of the characters are very well written though not a lot of them have actual content unfortunately. Choices you make have actual impact on the story, though the true consequences of your choices seem really far away. For a game that is in development for 3 years in theory there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of content in it, but whats in it is truly high quality, so i would recommend it.