Moonis

Mar 18, 2019
Thanks for the news. I have translated couple movies, so I know that it's time consuming. And you already have plenty more lines than typical films.

When I saw Crazy Nurses laboratory I got vision about Dr. Frankenstein in my head. MC is so dedicated to helping others that I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing little grave robbing to help friend.

Oppai Club is great news. I think we'll see that sexy DJ soon again.

Dvnasty

Sep 7, 2017
^ The reason for the delay didn't even make sense. Bluecat has been writing it in German and the German gets translated into English so the German doesn't make sense as the main language?
If u think coding is easy, why don't u make a game?

Reactions: ghost24
Mar 17, 2019
I am a bit curious what a few of these games use. Over Illusion based games.. dick looks like a wood rod... anyway this one, Timestamps, DMD, Parental Love all have well done scenes. Or Cerene Bloodlust, Miro has amazing quality... if there was a smaller appendage.

「HOLLOW」

Dec 15, 2017
About time they dropped fucking dual language idea. It was terrible idea from the get go, twice the work for 10% people at best is not worth it. I understand that discord is filled by mostly germans and the whole team is german but they clearly underestimated the work load. Well, better late than never.

Latecomer

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2017
About time they dropped fucking dual language idea. It was terrible idea from the get go, twice the work for 10% people at best is not worth it. I understand that discord is filled by mostly germans and the whole team is german but they clearly underestimated the work load. Well, better late than never.
It's only getting postponed, as in, to avoid further schedule slip we'll get out English first but over time, multilanguage support is scheduled to come.
If everything goes according to plan, future releases are going to be multilingual from the get-go

FroKe88

May 15, 2017
Will the multi language support be still in the game, so that maybe the community can work on that, or will the code structure be deleted?

「HOLLOW」

Dec 15, 2017
It's only getting postponed, as in, to avoid further schedule slip we'll get out English first but over time, multilanguage support is scheduled to come.
If everything goes according to plan, future releases are going to be multilingual from the get-go
I really think you should focus on releasing updates as you were and adding german with special mid month patches or something like that. That way you realise your idea without delaying content for main portion of your fans. Btw keep up the good work Latecomer, I sometimes lurk at Bluecat's discord and understand that you are doing the translating and proofreading stuff.

Daruko01

Game Developer
May 7, 2017
Multilingual support is a nice idea, but it would be better to implement it after the game is done/mostly done. I assume that most people supporting him, if not all of them, has a good knowledge of English, at least enough to understand the game.

I understand how much better it is to have something in your first language given that English isn't my first language, but I'd rather have something pretty much everyone can understand first, then a translation.

Latecomer

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2017
I really think you should focus on releasing updates as you were and adding german with special mid month patches or something like that. That way you realise your idea without delaying content for main portion of your fans. Btw keep up the good work Latecomer, I sometimes lurk at Bluecat's discord and understand that you are doing the translating and proofreading stuff.
The thing is, this decision fundamentally influences the design of the script itself.
As in, what we did before Week 1 was write a script in German and then translate it on the spot and keep working with that translated and proofread English script.
For Week 1, the plan was to rework and update the script and have it be in (proofread) German with the English translation not being written into the script itself but by using the Ren'py translation framework.
Because this is a fuckton of work, we decided to avoid any further schedule slip and just work with the English scripts for now.

Even if you might not directly benefit from it, there are some good reasons and big advantages for us to have the main script be in German and the translation be a separate file.

Latecomer

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2017
Multilingual support is a nice idea, but it would be better to implement it after the game is done/mostly done. I assume that most people supporting him, if not all of them, has a good knowledge of English, at least enough to understand the game.

I understand how much better it is to have something in your first language given that English isn't my first language, but I'd rather have something pretty much everyone can understand first, then a translation.
See, this "after the game is done/mostly done" is the problem.
Let me give you what I think is a good analogy for the language problem.

Essentially, imagine Ecchi Sensei as a big machine with lots of wheels and gears. And so far we have been working with square-shaped wheels. We optimized our processes and the designs for squares.

Now we're saying "no, square wheels are bullshit, let's do round wheels like normal people, there are lots of good reasons for us to do so". But this requires a fundamental overhaul of most of what is in the game.

If I was unemployed, this would be no problem as I could just dedicate most of my available time. Pretty sure we would've been able to do everything with just one or two delays at most (since the workload was ultimately much higher than we anticipated). But alas, I am not.

If we had additional manpower, it would maybe be possible to do it all within the time. But alas, that competent manpower is hard to find.

So now we're saying "okay, we've had enough schedule slip, nobody likes schedule slip, we've already done a lot of work optimizing the machine for round wheels, we can continue with that at some point in the future, for now let's focus on rolling out square wheels but in time" and we're building future releases with round wheels from the get-go.

Reactions: 「HOLLOW」

「HOLLOW」

Dec 15, 2017
The thing is, this decision fundamentally influences the design of the script itself.
As in, what we did before Week 1 was write a script in German and then translate it on the spot and keep working with that translated and proofread English script.
For Week 1, the plan was to rework and update the script and have it be in (proofread) German with the English translation not being written into the script itself but by using the Ren'py translation framework.
Because this is a fuckton of work, we decided to avoid any further schedule slip and just work with the English scripts for now.

Even if you might not directly benefit from it, there are some good reasons and big advantages for us to have the main script be in German and the translation be a separate file.
So basically you wanted to change script to german language because it's your native language and that way is more natural for you to work, but ultimately decided against it because it took to much time?
If this is the case then I really can relate to that. I had similar experience at my past work and I can guess how you feel.
The thing I like the most about this status report is that you came and said how things are and didn't hide behind "my proofreader had flooding incident so I'll postpone update for another two weeks".

Dec 15, 2017
As I said on Patreon, the fact that your team was able to recognize that multilingual support needs to be put on hold shows not only maturity, but understanding of your team's capabilities right now. I am happy to hear it will be implemented at some point for those whose first language is German.

Dec 15, 2017

So, were you translating it yourself before Week 1, as in typing each line into English, or were you using a translation program? I am just curious more than anything. Either way honestly sound like a lot of work, so thank you for doing it.

Latecomer

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2017
So, were you translating it yourself before Week 1, as in typing each line into English, or were you using a translation program? I am just curious more than anything. Either way honestly sound like a lot of work, so thank you for doing it.
Translation programs (especially when German is involved) are always my first counter argument whenever anyone suggests that AI will take over humanity :p

Reactions: Mab's Thrall22

Ichigo Kurosaki Shiba

Mar 17, 2019
I wonder will we see more of Evelynn and Mizuki in the current time and not flashbacks,preferably as a part of the MC Harem with both of them showing how much they changed(personality)and perhaps even made peace with Hiroko,i personally would have liked that very much,and as for how would they even be at the same town as MC its could be as eather complete coincidence or they both could be one of the new teacers of the School that MC need to talk to and see if they are qualified or whatever.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Some software engineering advice for the team - first gather requirements, then do design, then code.

The earlier you find a problem, the cheaper it is to fix. Find a problem in requirements phase - super easy to fix. Find it in design phase, pretty easy to fix. Find it while coding, not too bad. Find it after you release, and you could have big problems.

How does this relate to the translation issue? Well, plan what you want, figure out how to do it, then do it. It seems like you had a vague idea of what you wanted to do, then started doing it, then realized you were going about it the wrong way.

Time spent in design is not a waste. It will save you much more time later when you're coding to the design instead of designing on the fly, and you realize that what you're trying to do doesn't quite work/fit.

Reactions: SaiakuOtaku

Latecomer

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2017
Some software engineering advice for the team - first gather requirements, then do design, then code.

The earlier you find a problem, the cheaper it is to fix. Find a problem in requirements phase - super easy to fix. Find it in design phase, pretty easy to fix. Find it while coding, not too bad. Find it after you release, and you could have big problems.

How does this relate to the translation issue? Well, plan what you want, figure out how to do it, then do it. It seems like you had a vague idea of what you wanted to do, then started doing it, then realized you were going about it the wrong way.

Time spent in design is not a waste. It will save you much more time later when you're coding to the design instead of designing on the fly, and you realize that what you're trying to do doesn't quite work/fit.
We were going about it the right way.

The issue was: Do we keep going the right way no matter the cost or do we scrap it for now to avoid further schedule slip? And we chose the latter.

4.10 star(s) 144 Votes