Emogir

Aug 23, 2019
Think this is the first time I've found a game with "seasons" and "episodes" that you have to download seperately. Feel like usually it would just be one big file

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Sadly splitting these games into seasons has become quite common these days, but I think Lust Theory was actually one of the first games doing that.
The gain for the dev is that they can put part of the game on commercial platforms before the game is finished, thereby not only relying on patreons / supporters. Especially Steam is a good source of income, but other platforms (gog, itch.io) also sell the seasons.
And people are more ready to spend 10$ now, 15$ for each season 2 and 3 in the two years after that than 40$ at once for a adult visual novel.

Emogir

Aug 23, 2019
Sadly splitting these games into seasons has become quite common these days, but I think Lust Theory was actually one of the first games doing that.
The gain for the dev is that they can put part of the game on commercial platforms before the game is finished, thereby not only relying on patreons / supporters. Especially Steam is a good source of income, but other platforms (gog, itch.io) also sell the seasons.
And people are more ready to spend 10$ now, 15$ for each season 2 and 3 in the two years after that than 40$ at once for a adult visual novel.
I suppose the money aspect of it does make sense

Morbius

Jun 11, 2017
The split also makes it easier for both hosting/downloading and mobile ports of games. Also gives players and devs a sense of accomplishment from finishing each complete milestone of a game versus an eternal slog of updates to finish or wait on for both parties.

Talmadge

May 7, 2018
Think this is the first time I've found a game with "seasons" and "episodes" that you have to download seperately. Feel like usually it would just be one big file
I could give you two games you have to DL each episode to play. One of which, you have to go on the Dev's webpage to play the final episode. This one is like many others I play that have seasons. Some don't call them seasons, though. Some call them chapters. Or some call them parts. I'm guessing you haven't looked on here for many games before. Which is fine. But, as I say, there are many of them.

Emogir

Aug 23, 2019
I could give you two games you have to DL each episode to play. One of which, you have to go on the Dev's webpage to play the final episode. This one is like many others I play that have seasons. Some don't call them seasons, though. Some call them chapters. Or some call them parts. I'm guessing you haven't looked on here for many games before. Which is fine. But, as I say, there are many of them.
Oh no I've played plenty of games with episodes/chapters/seasons/acts/whatever, I'm saying this is the first time I've had to essentially download 3 games that are connected like this, as far as I can remember. I've seen sequels where you had to do a "what you chose previously" thing before, but when it's the same connected storyline? That's a new one for me. Usually they would all be the same game/file/folder, and then there are just title cards inside the story that indicate when you go to a new "segment". At least in my experience.

But as I said earlier, I understand the splitting when you put it into a financial perspective, if patrons aren't enough throughout development

3.80 star(s) 233 Votes