Elder scroll V Skyrim anniversary edition VS Skyrim special edition.

ghffhg

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone enlighten me on which version is better, especially in terms of mods? I wanted to play just because of the mods.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
My experience with setting up the GOG Anniversary Edition with a bunch of sex mods was that, generally, Anniversary Edition is catered for just like Special Edition. I did manage to get every mod I wanted running (albeit with some headaches, especially Schlongs of Skyrim). I think the main concern is mods that haven't been updated for 1.6, and for those cases you'll need an older version of Special Edition and older versions of all the other mods. But I didn't find it necessary for the mods I wanted.

tl;dr if you don't care about the AE content, there's no reason to get it, but the compatibility is about the same or slightly better on SE.

Reactions: ghffhg

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Anniversary edition (AE) was an engine update plus a whole bunch of Creation Club (CC) content. AFAIK the engine update really only affected the script extender and related mods. Special edition (SE) actually got the engine update plus a few pieces of CC content, so unless it's forcibly downgraded or held back SE is kind of "AE lite".

Reactions: ghffhg