Engines - Layer/Image manipulation capabilities

Sep 21, 2020
Hi.
I am not a stranger to developing/modding, but rather unfamiliar with the RPG/VN engines available.
I am interested in their potential when it comes to image/layer manipulation since my project's welfare depends on a single gimmick.
Any info regarding their general ability to manipulate raster or vector graphics is appreciated. Meaning, palette manipulation, RGB, transparency, overlays, and so on is welcome.
Although I'm not crazy about vector graphics, is there an engine other than flash geared towards vector manipulation?

The gimmick in question is the use of an overlay image used as a mask (by full image or hex value) that can target another layer to erase that area, ONLY on the target layer or layer group.

I am planning of creating a highly modular character render for my project and this feature would help immensely with outfit handling.

Thanks in advance.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Any info regarding their general ability to manipulate raster or vector graphics is appreciated. Meaning, palette manipulation, RGB, transparency, overlays, and so on is welcome.
Although I'm not crazy about vector graphics, is there an engine other than flash geared towards vector manipulation?
Well, they all have a documentation available, and no answer could really give you better information than them.

One could say that "this engine" offer this and that, but it doesn't mean that it will effectively offer you what you precisely are looking for. It's only by reading the documentation and seeing in detail what can be done for this or that, that you'll know if the engine fit your needs or not.

This being said, you're looking for an engine like Unity or Unreal, that are the only one (except flash that you named) to effectively offer support for vector graphics. As for vector manipulations for raster graphics, Ren'py can do it. It have a limited support by default, but you can extend it to fit your desire since you have access to PyGame.

Reactions: Procrastinatus
Sep 21, 2020
Sorry, I did my homework an settled for Godot. 2.5D is even better for what I'm trying to do. Thanks for the reply though.
I'd delete this thread if I could.

Sep 21, 2020
Interesting. From what I see Dragonbones is solely for sprite animation, intended to export a sprite sheet?
I love how simple it looks, but I need to do heavy vertex morphing on what I'm planning. Thinking Blender + Godot.
I am currently making my base assets and future proofing my design. Thanks for the help

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Interesting. From what I see Dragonbones is solely for sprite animation, intended to export a sprite sheet?
I love how simple it looks, but I need to do heavy vertex morphing on what I'm planning. Thinking Blender + Godot.
I am currently making my base assets and future proofing my design. Thanks for the help
Dragonbones has many types of export options and spritesheets seem like wasted potential IMHO.
Dragonbones can export skeletal animations. And has options to replace parts so your dress up stuff is possible.

also unity has It's own integrated tool similar to dragonbones:

Sep 21, 2020
Yes, but can I attach vertex weight to the bones and things like that?
Sorry, don't mean to make you spoonfeed me. It's just from what I see it's not a 3d editor with vertices.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
here's a good tutorial on swappable clothes:

Just found out about this, wich is useful to combine traditional frame by frame animation with skeletal one. this is pretty useful for example for mouth animations. It uses the same sprite resolver that is used on the previous tutorial.