Epidemic sound license help

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Hi everonye.

Does anyone know if I can use music from Epidemic sound in my VN? (after purchasing a license of course).
I read through the licenses but didn't see anything that says it can be used for games. Just wondering if anyone here has some info about it

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I read through the licenses but didn't see anything that says it can be used for games.
Neither did I. And like they name what you can use their music for, it mean that you can't do use them for games.
They really seem to be web focused, what is understandable since you can't extract a soundtrack used as background for an online media, contrarily to what you can do when it's embedded in a game.

This being said, personally I wouldn't use their sound even if their license was giving me the right to do so in a game. What they are doing is false "royalties free". You don't have to effectively pay royalties, whatever how many sound you use, but the instant you would stop to pay the subscription fees, you would loose all right to use their sound. And it's what they expect, that you pay year after year, because you don't want to remove your content, until the day you even forgot that they get your money each year, and then pay for nothing.

There's tons of royalties free music where you've to pay between $5 and $20 just once, and then can use the music as long as you want. It's a way better option.

Reactions: CaramelCowboy

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
'
Hi there,

We’re excited you would like to use our music in your game!

The Commercial Subscription is a suitable option for using our music as background music within an online game.

Please note the Commercial Subscription is only suitable for indie games, and that you are not eligible for the Commercial Subscription if you are a game publisher with five titles or more. You are not eligible if you are, or form part of, a company with a market cap, real or perceived, above 1Bn USD.

You are only allowed to use the music as background music within the game, and may not use the music in any way for the purposes of creating a listening experience.

It is worth mentioning that user-generated content will not be licensed through the Commercial Subscription, meaning that if someone uploads a video of them playing the game to YouTube or any other social media platform, they will be subject to receiving copyright claims unless they do have a license to upload our music.

If you intend to use our music in any other way, or these restrictions do not work for your production, please let us know and we can connect you with our licensing department.

'

For anyone wondering about this in the future, this is the response i got from them. Excellent point made in the previous post though. I probably don't want to keep paying so i'll look for other websites

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The Commercial Subscription is a suitable option for using our music as background music within an online game.
Note that they are talking about a specific kind of games.

I don't know what game you intend to make, but what you said about it (a VN), and the fact you're asking on this forum, make me assume that it will not be an online one ; or at least not an "online only" one. What mean that you can not use their music for it anyway.