Nov 7, 2020
If there was a save system where I am in control this would not be all that bad. It constantly and instantly saves so it is not like I can go back to an earlier save.
The game keeps around a hundred or so saves, all of which are relatively easy to go back to by simply renaming it to the newest save.
This isn't intended to be done, but is still an option if you really want to reload an earlier save.
They're also all in basic text files, meaning you can easily edit anything in your save if you want.

Fey spirit

Mar 13, 2023
If there was a save system where I am in control this would not be all that bad. It constantly and instantly saves so it is not like I can go back to an earlier save.
Non cheat way, church building upgrade memories to get single proper permanent save slot you can you choose when to save and reload. Be long time until player gets it...

Cheaty way when I don't have patience to deal with hated randomness.

Originally I just copied folder with those saves in other folders as backup, or go to file main.txt and edit "current save" to earlier number.

But now if in mood for cheating, have some fun, I keep appropriate save folder opened in background, put all files to read only attribute to prevent game auto saving then remove it to it game save again.

Otherwise, save folder has 100 save files, numbered from 0 to 99. Each combat turn, each change of screen when moving in dungeon, etc, it auto saves.

EmDotRand

Sep 7, 2020
I've never played but of course heard of Darkest Dungeon. Can't say I'm a fan of it, but I enjoy survival and "losing is fun" games, so I'm not going to give up on this game just yet.
A fellow masochist, I see. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Honestly though, I don't want to criticize the game for being what it is, but improvements could be made. I'm willing to forgive that the game still had me guessing after the tutorial what I was supposed to do (EDIT: for clarification purposes, what is my goal in this game, not trivialities like WASD to move around), since it's still very early in development.

However the UI could really need a second look. For an RPGMaker-clone (I guess the author had their reasons to pick the GODOT engine) and a smut game, it should be a much smoother experience.
Admittedly I got lost as well when I first played. The tutorial quests are of little help as the relevant quest either shows up way too late or long after you've figured out the mechanic on your own. Though calling it an RPGMaker-clone is a serious stretch. Beyond having a tile map and turn based combat there's almost no similarities.

I find the game completely unplayable. You get kidnapped so easily and there is no way to recover. I tried to recover one person and end up losing 4 in my party.

Playful plugins thing does not even do anything.

I am beyond frustrated.

You jumped into an elite dungeon with a bunch of novices, didn't ye? Give it a few in game weeks. Your troops will most definitely be cursed, but you'll have a much easier time rescuing them. By then you'll have gotten some much stronger adventurers, so whether or not you choose to just abandon them is mostly personal preference. (I don't. No woman left behind.)

Also there's no penalty for retreating besides not getting the end dungeon reward and maybe some bad quirks. You can do so at any time including in the middle of combat as long as it's your turn. Run early and often until you get enough resources. Or just save edit past the initial grind. No shame in that.

Reactions: AlikManson

Fey spirit

Mar 13, 2023
Open explorer
in address bar enter %appdata%

Then find Erodungeons folder

So should be:
C:\Users\name of user\Appdata\Roaming\Erodungeons\

In Saves directory you get Profile0, Profile1, etc with actual save files for each profile.

Lyem

Mar 31, 2020
Marathon mode is partially the reason why. Map tiles have a difficulty. You probably only have the low level tiles. Since marathon mode makes it slower to explore, it makes it more annoying to get to the difficult tiles. If I recall, you can also check the tile difficulty with the map setting.
To expand on what Easy Bake Oven said, you can check the tile difficulty with one of the map view modes in the mission overview screen.
Thanks that helps alot, atleast i can steer towards the big dungeons now.

Something else i'm curious about is that if you make a team with Warrior Rogue Cleric Mage you get a team buff, is there a list or similar where i can find party compositions that give buffs?
1725651523402.png

PDCurator

Sep 1, 2023
Been playing this quite a lot recently, actually pretty fun when you get into it and the modding ability is very nice.

However, the requirements for goals make it a tedious painful slog, it's already a pretty over-complicated game and having to track what each character requires to level up makes levelling to veteran (even more to elite) a huge grind. This is even worse when most of the quests or rescue missions require veteran or higher.

Fortunately there is a mod, which I would highly recommend, to fix that issue if you want the game to actually be enjoyable and not a 500 hr grind fest:

You can just complete dungeons to level up rather than having to do side goals.

Reactions: Brobat

Deren

Feb 18, 2018
how do you use morale actions? im clicking and its reducing morale, but I'm not healing at all.

Feb 10, 2022
Thanks that helps alot, atleast i can steer towards the big dungeons now.

Something else i'm curious about is that if you make a team with Warrior Rogue Cleric Mage you get a team buff, is there a list or similar where i can find party compositions that give buffs?
View attachment 4007434
If there is, I haven't seen it. I was also curious though. So, I looked through the game with the help of the mod manager. So, here's the list.

Magic1.png Magic2.png

Feb 10, 2022
how do you use morale actions? im clicking and its reducing morale, but I'm not healing at all.
I rarely use the morale heal, but if I recall, it doesn't add the percentage. Meaning, using the 25% heal doesn't heal you by 25%. Instead, it it works by healing anyone below that percentage. So, someone at 1% hp will be healed to 25%. I am not 100% sure about it though. I probably used morale heal less than 5 times playing this game.

Deren

Feb 18, 2018
I rarely use the morale heal, but if I recall, it doesn't add the percentage. Meaning, using the 25% heal doesn't heal you by 25%. Instead, it it works by healing anyone below that percentage. So, someone at 1% hp will be healed to 25%. I am not 100% sure about it though. I probably used morale heal less than 5 times playing this game.
huh, ill try that out, but does make sense considering the low morale requirements of the 25% heal.

shiroineko

Jun 15, 2018
Open explorer
in address bar enter %appdata%

Then find Erodungeons folder

So should be:
C:\Users\name of user\Appdata\Roaming\Erodungeons\

In Saves directory you get Profile0, Profile1, etc with actual save files for each profile.
Thank you. Do you also know how to make Playful Plugins work?

Deren

Feb 18, 2018
q, what are your building priorities? new to the game so rn im just trying to hyper-focus on the stagecoach upgrades for higher recruit stats.

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
q, what are your building priorities? new to the game so rn im just trying to hyper-focus on the stagecoach upgrades for higher recruit stats.
Most of them aren't useful, tbh.
Or are only useful for fulfilling those 'needs to work as a cow for three days' requirements.

The barn gets you cowgirls and slaves, that gets you more supplies and free milk, respectively.

I barely use training and I almost never use the church (doctor?) to remove negative traits.

Then again, I'm stuck at adept level because all of my adventures got turned into fucking cowgirls.

4.20 star(s) 64 Votes