Ren'Py Error after importing saves from JoiPlay to PC

shokoloko

Jul 20, 2023
Hello there. I have been unable to load my saves which I have transferred from JoiPlay on Android to my PC.
I copy the "saves" folder in the game's root folder on my Android device to my PC.
The saves are visible in the game, but whenever I try to load any of them, I always receive the following error: ImportError: No module named revertable.
This happens with multiple different games.
Can anyone help me out here to successfully transfer my saves?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Odlanier

Jun 23, 2020
Hello there. I have been unable to load my saves which I have transferred from JoiPlay on Android to my PC.
I copy the "saves" folder in the game's root folder on my Android device to my PC.
The saves are visible in the game, but whenever I try to load any of them, I always receive the following error: ImportError: No module named revertable.
This happens with multiple different games.
Can anyone help me out here to successfully transfer my saves?

It's because of compatibility issues from using the Ren'Py Plugin version 8.x.x or 7.5.x or 7.6.x while the script version Of the game is 7.4.x(old version). So to make the saves compatible use the version of the Ren'Py plugin as same as the version given in the 'script_version.txt' file in the 'game' folder of the game. Usually all 7.4.x versions are compatible with each other So I use Ren'Py plugin 7.4.11 for those games. Similarly 8.x.x, 7.5.x & 7.6.x are compatible with each other So for those games I use the latest version(8.1.1 & 7.6.1) of the Ren'Py plugin. I keep the apk files for both the versions and uninstall the latest version to install the 7.4.11 version based on the game script version.

For old version script (7.3.x or below), I use another JoiPlay version wich is of a different app id(old starts with 'com.') and it's last version was released in patreon just before JoiPlay was introduced in Google Play with the current app id(starts with 'cyou.'). By this way I can keep two versions of the JoiPlay along with their corresponding Ren'Py plugin in the same smartphone.

Another way is to ask the developer of JoiPlay to have all the major version of Ren'Py In the plugin for better cross platform compatibility. For example having Ren'Py versions 7.3.5, 7.4.11, 7.6.1 & 8.1.1 in a single Ren'Py plugin apk which makes the job easier.

Last edited:

shokoloko

Jul 20, 2023
It's because of compatibility issues from using the Ren'Py Plugin version 8.x.x or 7.5.x or 7.6.x while the script version Of the game is 7.4.x(old version). So to make the saves compatible use the version of the Ren'Py plugin as same as the version given in the 'script_version.txt' file in the 'game' folder of the game. Usually all 7.4.x versions are compatible with each other So I use Ren'Py plugin 7.4.11 for those games. Similarly 8.x.x, 7.5.x & 7.6.x are compatible with each other So for those games I use the latest version(8.1.1 & 7.6.1).
Thanks for your extensive reply.

I thought that version compatibility might've been the case. You've confirmed it for me and now I know how to avoid this error in the future as well!

Do you perhaps know of an easier way to swap between the Ren'Py plug-in versions than reinstalling/updating it?
Also, is there any way to convert the saves back to 7.4.x compatible versions?

Last edited:

Odlanier

Jun 23, 2020
Thanks for your extensive reply.

I thought that version compatibility might've been the case. You've confirmed it for me and now I know how to avoid this error in the future as well!

Do you perhaps know of an easier way to swap between the Ren'Py plug-in versions than reinstalling/updating it?
Also, is there any way to convert the saves back to 7.4.x compatible versions?
Nope for both of your questions.
For your first question, as I said suggesting the idea of having multiple Ren'Py versions in the same plugin to the dev is the only easier way.

As for your second question, I haven't explored that option much as I don't have much knowledge in programming and my queries on the net regarding this issue didn't offer any solution

shokoloko

Jul 20, 2023
Nope for both of your questions.
For your first question, as I said suggesting the idea of having multiple Ren'Py versions in the same plugin to the dev is the only easier way.

As for your second question, I haven't explored that option much as I don't have much knowledge in programming and my queries on the net regarding this issue didn't offer any solution
I have looked into save editors to convert my saves. Technically, it looks possible to edit variables on a new save to match those of an old one. However, it's not very feasible for me to go through all (3000+) variables on a save from Harem Hotel. For smaller games, I could always "speedrun" to the end. It seems like I have to do it the old school way with Harem Hotel regardless.

I guess I'll just keep the version on my Android to 7.4.11, since most games I've been playing are on this one. Newer versions will have to be played on PC exclusively.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this matter anyway! :)

Reactions: Odlanier

K0nr4d

Nov 4, 2020
It's because of compatibility issues from using the Ren'Py Plugin version 8.x.x or 7.5.x or 7.6.x while the script version Of the game is 7.4.x(old version). So to make the saves compatible use the version of the Ren'Py plugin as same as the version given in the 'script_version.txt' file in the 'game' folder of the game. Usually all 7.4.x versions are compatible with each other So I use Ren'Py plugin 7.4.11 for those games. Similarly 8.x.x, 7.5.x & 7.6.x are compatible with each other So for those games I use the latest version(8.1.1 & 7.6.1) of the Ren'Py plugin. I keep the apk files for both the versions and uninstall the latest version to install the 7.4.11 version based on the game script version.

For old version script (7.3.x or below), I use another JoiPlay version wich is of a different app id(old starts with 'com.') and it's last version was released in patreon just before JoiPlay was introduced in Google Play with the current app id(starts with 'cyou.'). By this way I can keep two versions of the JoiPlay along with their corresponding Ren'Py plugin in the same smartphone.

Another way is to ask the developer of JoiPlay to have all the major version of Ren'Py In the plugin for better cross platform compatibility. For example having Ren'Py versions 7.3.5, 7.4.11, 7.6.1 & 8.1.1 in a single Ren'Py plugin apk which makes the job easier.
Can you share your 7.4.11 version of the RenPy plugin?
I'm currently facing the same problem as OP and I can't find the old version online.

Odlanier

Jun 23, 2020
Can you share your 7.4.11 version of the RenPy plugin?
I'm currently facing the same problem as OP and I can't find the old version online.
The link is still there in the patreon

shokoloko

Jul 20, 2023
A little update on my situation:

I played CoBD on my PC (Ren'Py version 7.2.2.491), synced to my Android device and continued there (Ren'Py version 7.4.11.10) and then synced back to my PC. On PC, opening the saves made on Android now gives me the ImportError Matrix module missing.

It appears that 7.4.11 unfortunately isn't a holy grail for older Ren'Py versions. Perhaps I should match the major version instead (7.2, 7.4 etc.)

Odlanier

Jun 23, 2020
A little update on my situation:

I played CoBD on my PC (Ren'Py version 7.2.2.491), synced to my Android device and continued there (Ren'Py version 7.4.11.10) and then synced back to my PC. On PC, opening the saves made on Android now gives me the ImportError Matrix module missing.

It appears that 7.4.11 unfortunately isn't a holy grail for older Ren'Py versions. Perhaps I should match the major version instead (7.2, 7.4 etc.)
Unfortunately 7.2.x version of Ren'Py plugin doesn't exist (atleast in my knowledge). Did you try the 7.3.5 plugin? Also can you upload the traceback file?

shokoloko

Jul 20, 2023
I have tried looking up a 7.2 version plugin as well, but can't seem to find it.

Unfortunately, I have already deleted CoBD from my Android device. I'm not sure I want to copy the game folder of 12 GB over again (for the fourth time) to test out 7.3.5. I will post here again with my findings when I do though.

As for the traceback:

Edit: On a related note, it appears that my older saves (from PC to Android and back to PC) are unaltered. Thus, I could open these on PC again just fine. However, this wasn't the case with before (with other games), running Ren'Py plugin version 8.1. Merely, opening the game on Android modified the save files imported from PC. Naturally, all these saves couldn't be loaded back on PC.

Last edited: