Error not to make when creating a game

Brok TheDog

Donor
Jun 2, 2018
Hello all, those who will follow and my gameplayer opinion, I am not a game creator (at least for the moment).

As indicated in the title, I will explain several mistakes not to make, if you don't want to lose the topsoil.

The first gameplay:

- Coter gamesplays, each game has its own style (whether or not you charm them). When you master mini games, especially on rpg type games. Make sure that your personal are totally controllable. I came across no male rpg where the maneuverability was a pain in the ass, 2 hours to finish a mini game because the character didn't answer correctly. As a result, it makes him angry and direct, he overpowers the game and does not return to it.

- The introductions, a it is famous introduction. made in order to be able to pass them quickly (the I speak for all support), your games are in development very often the backups are incompatible with the new version. So no one's males have to start again and start again and start again (I'll stop the lol) your game, so getting 10 20 or 30 times the introduction without being able to pass it swells it up.

- Consider adding a Walkthrough. Whether by text on a nopad file, google... But the best thing is to integrate it into games, as you don't spend 15 days looking for the solution.

- It's alright if you make mistake, we all made some. But at least, read two/three times what you wrote, to ensure that you haven't, time to time, wrote a word in your own language instead of English. We (players) can understand engrish, in fact generally the less we know English, the more we understand engrish, but it become really difficult to understand what you wrote when suddenly a wild non English word appear ; unless it's your own native language. (By anne O'nymous )

The second one is the cheats:

- Or I'll attack the sensitive subject. So cheat side I am for and against, against for all multiplayer games (normal its spoils the game of the other players). Solo rating, I am for and especially on those forums, because here are primarily propose games under development. I it is that for some of the creators he does not like it, because for them because of it we can not really admire their work. But to fool you we know the time and passion you put into it. If there are so many people who want to cheat, it's for several reasons. The first and quite simple, even gives your work quickly before bending over more seriously. Tell you that you don't want to make your games known all by yourself and that there is no male shit, but if you block the possibility for the player to quickly see if they like it, he may get tired of it and move on. For my part I came across games with a rather long intro (inflating basic if the game and shit behind it doesn't make you want to come back for more) but the story and the gameplays and great, I smelled or even his quickly greasy cheat, so new game and this time without cheat.

- The cheats are also used by those who have to restart the game after an update because the backups are incompatible, because restarting a game at zero especially if you type the game a dozen times it becomes relentless to start all over again.

- To give the player a minimum of freedom there are 3 methods of cheat (that I know). The first one, you integrate yourself into the cheat section, as it saves time for everyone. The 2nd does not secure it against cheat engine, not world male still uses it. 3rd as I have known on this forum, let the possibility of cheater via backup (yes I said backup) there is a site where you can modify the values by backup. This site is called Save Editor.

The 3rd of the backups:

Backups are famous for their backup. The ones that are hidden, the ones that are visible, the one or on the majority of posts where you always see someone looking for it and that becomes incompatible with the latest version of the game. There's something to say about it.

- To start integrating the possibility of saving, even if it is only on a sector, leave me the possibility for the player to save by themselves. Auto backup is cool, but sa has its limits. Imagine that a person has to leave on an appointment and that he has to leave the game, down he will lose all his progress since he couldn't save. His risk of making someone angry.

- Make your backups compatible with the new versions you release, or share at the same time a 100% backup of the later version for those who have already finished.
For backups compatible with new versions of the game, make sure to specify to the player where it is located. For the Renpy easy it and in the source file but for the unity version or other, often they are hidden in the AppData file or elsewhere.

I pence that I have done the tour, I remind you that this and a personal opinion. If other people have things to add say it and I will add them to the list (it will be a copy and paste with your nickname to write down).

Edit: 13/03/2019 2:11

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Hmm... I do not think I made any of those mistakes except for the cheats but then again, I am fairly sure my game does not need any cheat.

I would definitively consider cheats if I were to make a grindy game though, even just to be able to test the game without going mad.

Brok TheDog

Donor
Jun 2, 2018
Hmm... I do not think I made any of those mistakes except for the cheats but then again, I am fairly sure my game does not need any cheat.

I would definitively consider cheats if I were to make a grindy game though, even just to be able to test the game without going mad.
Honestly, I can't give my opinion on your games. I don't test them because they're not my style. I leave it to those who play it to let you know their opinion about your position.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
- The introductions, a it is famous introduction. made in order to be able to pass them quickly (the I speak for all support), your games are in development very often the backups are incompatible with the new version. So no one's males have to start again and start again and start again (I'll stop the lol) your game, so getting 10 20 or 30 times the introduction without being able to pass it swells it up.
Well, for me the error not to make here isn't the long introduction, but the incompatibility between the new update of the game and the old save files.
Think your game from the start, understand the engine you use, and made all you can to avoid this incompatibility.

- Consider adding a Walkthrough. Whether by text on a nopad file, google... But the best thing is to integrate it into games, as you don't spend 15 days looking for the solution.
Once again, for me the error isn't here but on the difficulty balancing of the game.
You should give enough information to the player for him have clue of what he need to do next. Do this, and no one will need a walkthrough. If someone is stuck because he don't understand the hint, there will be enough people who get it to help him.
As for the right/wrong choice, they should be made so a bad choice time to time don't prevent the player to follow the route he want. They also be wrote in a way that don't necessarily make them obvious, but at least don't make them totally unpredictable. It should seem logical to make "this choice" at this time, according to the way the character reacted to similar choice and what the player know of the character personality.

Don't take it bad, but reading your text make me think of another "error not to make" : Proof read your text.
It's alright if you make mistake, we all made some. But at least, read two/three times what you wrote, to ensure that you haven't, time to time, wrote a word in your own language instead of English. We (players) can understand engrish, in fact generally the less we know English, the more we understand engrish, but it become really difficult to understand what you wrote when suddenly a wild non English word appear ; unless it's your own native language.

Brok TheDog

Donor
Jun 2, 2018
Well, for me the error not to
Don't take it bad, but reading your text make me think of another "error not to make" : Proof read your text.
It's alright if you make mistake, we all made some. But at least, read two/three times what you wrote, to ensure that you haven't, time to time, wrote a word in your own language instead of English. We (players) can understand engrish, in fact generally the less we know English, the more we understand engrish, but it become really difficult to understand what you wrote when suddenly a wild non English word appear ; unless it's your own native language.
I have been a game player for 18 years and I don't speak English (so stop saying that all game players speak English). I work with a translator and the like everyone else it is the translator is not 100% reliable.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I have been a game player for 18 years and I don't speak English (so stop saying that all game players speak English). I work with a translator and the like everyone else it is the translator is not 100% reliable.
Er... :/

Well, glad that you've been a game player since my youngest child's birth, but I don't see what it have to do with what I said. And since I speak about what I said, it wasn't that all game players speak English, but more the opposite ; and I know this for sure, since I'm not a native English speaker myself.
What I said is that it's already hard enough for some to understand English, so please be kind with them and don't add in your game words that they'll never be able to understand because they aren't English. My advice was to proof read by yourself, but it was assuming that your English skills where good enough for this. Obviously if it's not the case, ask to someone you know that have better English skills, to do it for you.

This lead to two other errors not to make :

The first one is to take a comment too personally. Do not do that.
You can have misunderstood it, either because you aren't a native English speaker, or because the person who wrote it isn't a native English speaker ; bonus point if none of you are. It's also possible that this person struggle to express his mind, had a bad day and was more harsh that he wanted to be, and many other things like this.
There's already many opportunities to misunderstood something when we talk face to face with someone in our common native language. So, when it's a written discussion (deprived of the tone of the voice, and the speaker's gestures), and in a language that one, or the two, don't master...

The second error is to immediately jump on the reply button. Once again, do not do that.
In contrary, always take the time to process what you've read. It can make you go past a misinterpretation, and/or help you see that what is said can have more than one obvious meaning. It will also give time to your feeling to goes with the flow. You'll be more calm, which will make your write a better answer and, possibly defuse the situation.

Reactions: HiEv

Brok TheDog

Donor
Jun 2, 2018
To better understand what I write or for a better translation, I invite you to use Deepl, it is much more reliable than Google translation. Because on my side following the translation of your text, it looks very strongly like a personal attack.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
To better understand what I write or for a better translation, I invite you to use Deepl, it is much more reliable than Google translation. Because on my side following the translation of your text, it looks very strongly like a personal attack.
I'm at a state where I don't need a translation tool to read/write English, except few words rarely used and for which I'm not sure of the meaning ; it's my grammar that is still to improve.

As for the personal attack, it's exactly the reason of my first advice ; don't take things personally.
Yes, there's none English words in your text, which didn't prevented me to understand what you said ; mostly because they all looks like french words (coté/coter, pence/pense, etc) and using their french meaning make sense in the sentence. Also yes, that's what made me think about the error to not make.
But, let's say that I see a Ferrari, in it's Ferrari's red color, and I say that I want a car like this. It can mean that I want a Ferrari, like it can mean that I want a sport car, Ferrari or not. It can even mean that I think that red is a good color for a car and that I want a red car.
It's the same here. It's not because your text made me think about something, that what I will said isn't a generic advice intended to everyone. Nor that it's an attack, even less a personal one. I'm far to be in place to attack someone on this ; especially after having wrote an abbreviation in my own language instead of in English, yesterday.

Finally, there's a limit to what translation tools can do. Even when you use them, you still need to think about the "English to your own language" translation and, in a way, proof read it.
The sentence above is, by a matter of fact that isn't due to hazard, a good example of this. Contrarily to English, many languages make a difference between "you" as singular personal pronoun, and "you" as plural personal pronoun. And the whole meaning of the sentence change, depending of the way this "you" will be translated.
"you[singular] still need to think...", can effectively be perceived as an attack, like it can be seen as the advice it is. While "you[plural] still need to think...", express more clearly the advice, because the plural make it generic.
It pass from, "you who wrote the message to which I answer", to, "you, people who need a translation tool to read English". And for this, a translation tool, whatever how advanced it is, can nothing. It's to you[plural] to keep in mind that it can be both singular and plural, and not jump on one of the two possibilities. You need to put the sentence in perspective. For this, you have to use the global tone of the whole text as help, but can also rely on the surrounding sentences, clearly generic or more personal, to help you find which number (as in "personal pronoun number", not as in "twenty is a number") it was intended.

Brok TheDog

Donor
Jun 2, 2018
I just proofread the translation 6 times and I finally understood what you meant. For my job the problem I am all alone people to help me, but it's true when you only get there on male steps of games, even with the translator it's very complicated to understand because very often he uses google translation to make the translation of their games (a very big mistake for my part). I'm sorry I got carried away like that and I'm adding it right now to the list in the gamplay section.

Translated with