Error while opening game pictures (PNG)

BlackStallion

May 17, 2017
I am not sure when this started, but I have never had this problem. I tried opening certain game pictures with the extension .png, but somehow Windows Photo or Paint or any other software doesn't recognize it? The error I am given is "does not support this file type". Converting them to jpg or anything else gives me the same error.

I have downloaded a random photo from google and saved it as a .png and that opened just fine. I have downloaded a CG rip for the game "A Struggle with Sin" and open those png files just fine*, but when I download the game and decrypt the files I get an error opening the png. I have downloaded a different game where the pictures are already png (so no decryption required) and I still get the error.

I tried opening zip files and extract them with winrar and 7zip by either dragging and dropping or using the extract button and dumping in different folders (even different SSDs)

I have scanned for viruses, but there are non. I have checked for corruption within my system, but can't find any either.

I am really stuck as to why this is happening to only games I download from here, but to nothing else on my computer. I have a feeling they get corrupted when I download or extract them, but somehow this doesn't happen to other .png files and (*)

If anyone has a solution for me, please do help. I don't want to end like a beggar on each thread asking for CGs.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Try to open the image with your browser (Chrome or Firefox). Possible that the image were converted to webp while keeping it's original file extension.

BlackStallion

May 17, 2017
Try to open the image with your browser (Chrome or Firefox). Possible that the image were converted to webp while keeping it's original file extension.
Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to say that I tried doing that as well (RPG maker game and other) with Chrome and Opera, but I get white squares.

BlackStallion

May 17, 2017
Which game is it you have problems with?
"A Struggle with Sin" and "Pervert Action: Timelapse" for now. I haven't yet tested on others.

Edit: Just tested it with a game I already had on my computer that uses png for their pictures. I redownloaded and extracted the game and it opens up just fine.

Last edited: