• Search is back up, but the index is being rebuilt, there may still be some minor problems until this is complete.

Everything you need to make an H game?

• Thread starter Deleted member 718841
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 718841

Hey guys,

sorry if the title is a little all-encompassing.

I want to start a transparent discussion to learn and find out about all the resources involved in the development of an H game, how much time and money things cost, and to figure out how to get started in general. Especially if you are already a developer or have experience, it would be nice to hear your thoughts.

Of course, I understand that not everyone will want to flat out talk about money and put down exact numbers as reference, but it would definitely help beginners and even others who would like to work on such projects: artists, writers or programmers who probably dont even know if this is something you can do for money.

So to start:

1. Art.
I guess art is by far the most important thing, maybe not all projects rely on it, some are text-based and whatnot, but the majority of the big projects stand out visually, which is not surprising since erotic stuff is quite a visual topic, and so artists aren´t cheap but obviously necessary for success.
How do you get about hiring an artist for a project? Do you look around hentai sites and then contact them individually? Do you know how much it usually costs to hire artists, or what % of the games budget goes into it? Do you find many who are willing to work on a project and get paid after some success (meaning that it might take a while)?

2. Writing.
Writing is often the original spark for the creation, the idea, and a lot of the time the person who starts the project is also the one writing it (among other things). I would say a VAST majority of games are (and should be) in English, since that would reach the biggest audience, but sometimes even if the writer is not that confident in English they still do it, sometimes proof-reading is lacking, typos and bad grammar. Writing is also the main tool for character and story development (unless the game has literally none of that), hence why good writers are essential in those cases.
Do you have somebody additionally checking the writing for mistakes? How much do writers get paid and where to find erotic writers specifically?

3. Programming.
Can´t skip doing some kind of code, even for simple projects. Basically what makes the game work. Sometimes you can get away with less coding, sometimes the game is quite complicated so a programmer becomes the most important team members.
Do you find it troublesome to find programmers for erotic games? I assume you dont just go to a general programmer forum and ask there? In which engines can you get away with a newbie programmer and which ones would require a skilled one?

I apologize for the long read, but i hope this can get some traction, wish there was a compact singular blog post that mentions and explains all of this at once.

I also know this can´t be ALL there is, so obviously if i missed something important or misjudged, by all means correct me.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jun 29, 2018
I'm still in the learning process myself so take my words with a grain of salt. :) The points you mentioned are the 3 main sections though depending on how detailed you want to be there can be many other points that include things like marketing, social media, sources of money such as Patreon, if you want to incorporate and make a "legit" business, and lets not forget Taxes because you know the government wont. :'(

I'm working with Daz Studio to create images using 3D characters and scenes. I'm also using RenPy for creating the game (visual novel in my case). The writing comes from my head though I've just recently started using a free program called yWritter6 to help try to organize the scenes/content for my story. I'm still not sure if I'll stick with the program, it looks and feels like a program from the late 90's.

If you have never worked with 3D programs Daz Studio will take some time to get used to. From what I've heard it's one of the easiest program to use for this type of thing but there is a lot to get a handle on if you want to be proficient in it.

As for coding, if you have any coding experience (especially in Python) it shouldn't be too hard to get started using it. It's not complex programming for basic functions but you have to be comfortable with using variables and similar things. If you plan on using RenPy I strongly suggest downloading a desktop version of a game you have plaid and using the UnRen program on it so you can look at the code to see how it works:

After running the unren program on it, go to that game's 'game' folder and look for "script.rpy" which is the start of the game. You can then look at all the variables they setup and how the scenes and images are called and laid out.

Also remember to look at the for more information about using the program as well as doing searches on YouTube. There are some good videos about RenPy (and a lot of shitty videos as well) with information about how to do things.

Things can look a bit overwhelming at first but as you dig into it you realize there's not too many different types of things you would want to do in RenPy.

Display or hide images
Have characters say things
Present choices to the player
Show different content based on those choices
Play/Stop sounds and music
Track and check statistics to have content shown or not shown based on that number
(If 'love' is greater than or equal to 5 get a blowjob!)

You obviously can do much more but the majority of a game will be similar basic things done over and over and the words and images you add create the story.

I'm sure I missed a tone of things but I think those are the basics. Be sure to search the forum for previous questions as there is already a ton of great information here.

D

Deleted member 718841

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

In terms of art, I do some 2D painting myself, so I will probably go with that (at least at first), although I'm also thinking about potentially working with other artists, I'm just not sure how much I should expect to pay an artist, obviously i want to make it fair, but it's a bit hard to figure out just by checking single commission rates some of the artists have on their blogs and whatnot.

I'm only familiar with RPG maker, was trying out making a few games that just never got finished, but I might try to figure out RenPy now. So far Im still a bit unsure on which engine would work best, I kind of like the way RPGM allows to explore the world more freely, but of course too much running around can be annoying as well.

I'm definitely looking through some guides to help myself out. Thanks again! :)

Alpha_warrior

Oct 14, 2018
Thank you guys for doing this, it's really weired that there're almost no thread about game developing in the site !!

It would be awesome also to include some guides you guys have viewed to learn Renpy, RPG maker, Daz3d and etc..

Again thanks for that and hope another creators jump in to give some feedbacks