Seeking Examples of games with good dialogues

GDFennec

The horniest fennec in the world
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2020
Hello everyone. Currently, I develop my adult game and I have big problems with writing. I don't know, how to better reveal characters and make their interaction with each other more realistic and less cringed. I've read a lot of tips and guides about it, but it doesn't help much. Probably, I just need more experience. So, I would be very thankful if somebody shares with me games with good, exemplary dialogues and character development which I can analyze.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'll go with the classical, The Deluca Family and Heavy Five. They aren't the only ones, but they really are on the top of the top both for the dialogs and character developments.

This being said, the best way to write dialogs is to say the scene out loud. You'll quickly hear if it feel wrong or not.
By example, if you have something like :
"Let me tell you this, it wasn't at all your fault, I know that you think that she hate you because of what you did, but think a second, who the fuck go full tantrum just being the person he love is talking to someone from the opposite sex ?"
"No, seriously, you have the right to live your life and the right to help someone in need, you were just helping her find her way to the hospital where her mother is, there's really no arm in this !"

Try to say it out loud, you'll quickly be breathless, sign that it clearly mean more pauses. Then, you'll go for something like this :
"Let me tell you this, it wasn't at all your fault. I know that you think that she hate you because of what you did, but think a second. Who the fuck go full tantrum just for this ?"
"You were just talking to someone from the opposite sex. Talking ! Nothing else..."
"No, seriously, you have the right to live your life and the right to help someone in need. After all, you were just helping her find her way to the hospital where her mother is. There's really no arm in this !"

When you'll say it out loud, it will start to fill better. But you should find another issue. It need times to say all this. Too much time for which the other person will just stay silent ? Really ?
Put yourself in the shoes of the person listening to this, would you really stay put, listening all this time ? No, you would probably intervene time to time. Which will lead to something like that :
guy "Let me tell you this, it wasn't at all your fault. You can't really think that she hate you because of what you did, right"
mc "She's upset because of this, so yes, it's my fault."
guy "Think about it again, who the fuck go full tantrum just for this ?"
mc "Well, her..."
guy "You were just talking to someone from the opposite sex. Talking ! Nothing else..."
mc "To a girl, a pretty one in top of that."
guy "And ? You have the right to live your life. Especially since you where helping someone, not flirting."
guy "You were just helping a lost person find her way to the hospital."
mc "A pretty girl."
guy "And so ? There's really no arm in this ! Why should be someone left in trouble just because it's a pretty someone ?"

Now the dialog have a more natural pace.
There's still things to correct, I'm far to be this good at writing, but it's already way better, and also easier to read. And the transition from one version to the other can really be achieved just by reading out loud what you wrote.

In the same time, you'll have a better feeling by hearing the dialog that by reading this. Some sentences feel right on the paper, but hurt your mind when you hear them. Some things feel needed on the paper, but then when you read the whole scene out loud, you'll wonder why the fuck someone would say this at this time.

HunterSeeker

Engaged Member
May 13, 2017
  • The Headmaster
  • Shining Song Starnova
  • Ripples
  • Once in a Lifetime
  • Nothing is Forever
  • Master Rune
  • Kindread the Redburns
  • Harem Hotel