Experienced Developer looking for next steps.

CrayonTips

Jan 14, 2019
Hello,

I have been a fan of this site for quite some time and I personally have tried at least 40 games on this site using my Linux machine. Recently I was told that I am probably going to be let go from the current company I work for and a (albeit weird) dream of mine was to create a NSFW game of my own and make my living that way. I would like to think I am fairly fluent in english and able to spot spelling/grammatical errors fairly easily leading me to believe that Ren'Py is the best idea for my first venture. That being said, I was hoping some people here could give me some insight on exactly how to hit the ground running as a programmer and to try and build something fun and worth playing without having to completely learn a new tech-stack.

I have a lot of experience with JavaScript and C#, some other langs as well, but what I really lack is artistic prowess as far as being able to create my own models without ripping assets from other games. I am more than willing to learn Blender so that I can create my own assets, but I am aware that may take some time. Of course I am also looking for some side work and I have created rather simple games with UE4.21 and Unity 2019 releases.

If anyone could give me a place to start, that would be super appreciated. I've thought about making the dive into becoming an independent developer creating NSFW games for a long time and now that unemployment is looming right around the corner I am hoping that somebody can give me some tips/insight as to how to create a quality game that people would be excited for, in addition to helping me create my own art assets as to not rely on others/step on any toes.

Thanks everyone, of course I am also looking for side work as a developer so if you need one, reach out to me, but otherwise I'd appreciate any and all insight as to how to properly tackle the looming unemployment coming in addition to creating a game I can monetize (on patreon) for at least a somewhat substantial income.

Cheers.

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
In all honesty, when it's your livelyhood thats on stake, do NOT limit yourself to NSFW only. Sure, pursue your dream, but, don't let it become a deadend, if it won't bring back enough to keep you going. Broaden up to any profitable indie developing project that can pay you, and, build your masterpiece in parallel

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
I wouldn't suggest ripping assets from other games... besides the fact that it's not good form, you will fail to stand out in a way that will achieve the commercial success you're looking for, and likely provoke a backlash. You won't need to learn Blender, though - Get Daz 3D (free) and a few models and sets (paid, though I'm sure you can pirate it and buy them if you've earned enough from the game)... then adapt them. Photoshop is a good thing to have, too - for making up UI and marketing, etc. There are a ton of free-licence musical websites scattered round the net.

As far as making a game that stands out, you'll need to know the story you want to tell and the characters which inhabit it - or have some hella-fancy tech that gets past any narrative issues (like VR or UE4). You'll need to be able to commit very large amounts of time to a long-term development with no guaranteed rewards, and be prepared to come out with very regular updates to satisfy those who put their trust in you and stay fresh in the aggregator's lists. You'll also need a USP - anything from superb writing to bells-and-whistles programming to an unusual kink.

Since you're an experienced dev, you will be unlikely to earn what you're used to making. I'm pretty successful for NSFW games - but that translates to $3k a month after a year of development. For that, you will have to work constantly - at least 84 hours a week on the game and more on social media. In most western countries a minimum-wage barista job will pay better per hour... not everyone is going to ICSTOR or DarkCookie.

That sacrifice means you have to love making your game to do it. You have to be desperate to tell your story, head-over-heels about your characters, brimming with excitement about each update and each new feature you introduce. Players and potential patrons can smell that passion a mile off - and even quite bad games can do well if the dev sweeps people up in their own enthusiasm. The reward is that working full-time at your dream-job is a blast... also - no commute :LOL:

Good luck with your project!

CrayonTips

Jan 14, 2019
Thanks for the replies y'all.

I am still exploring options and considering how to move forward, but I appreciate the real constructive responses. While I understand I'm not going to be the next DarkCookie, it's still been a persistent thought in my mind to pursue making NSFW games that aren't complete shit. I appreciate a lot of the content here on f95, but my favorite games are the ones that deviate from the typical "Ren'Py VN" formula and allow the user to interact with the world in a larger scope than Ren'Py allows.

As far as art assets though, I don't/never planned on ripping assets from other games. I only meant to inquire as to the best way to actually create my own assets for my game whether that's Blender or some other technology. I suck ass at drawing/art, but my girlfriend is fully onboard and is very artistically gifted. If I was to try and make a simple VN to get some passive income rolling in that would be at least *something* for the time being. Otherwise, I could learn Blender or pay my girl to help illustrate NSFW art for my game.

I am wholeheartedly against ripping assets from games, I only want to create my own, sorry if I wasn't clear initially on that point.

Reactions: RanliLabz

CrayonTips

Jan 14, 2019
As I am sure most of you can relate, I am a huge weirdo. Never fit in with social groups, struggled in high school, etc. I am lucky enough to have a talented girlfriend who could draw all sorts of lewd activities on paper, but I am just not sure how to connect the dots between having her draw NSFW art and my programming skills. I understand that there isn't going to be income flowing through the gates the moment I post my 0.0.1 release, but a dream (I'm a weirdo I already told you) of mine is to create my own NSFW game that isn't just a shit Ren'Py game (not to say there aren't good Ren'Py VNs). I want to create something fun and interactive, that allows the user to get lost in a world that is not only fun, but also has gameplay elements that keep the user wanting to play.

I am obviously also looking for work so if anyone knows somebody looking for a developer I am very adaptive and able to thrive in any environment given to me. As far as payment goes, I would prefer Monero (XMR), but I am willing to discuss other methods of payment as well. I just want to contribute to this community/movement in a way that I can not only live off of, but also help build.

I think it's a horrible travesty that Western civilization has sanctioned the artistic depiction of gore and violence while completely throwing out any sort of intimate/passionate based gameplay out the window. I think the release of 'Subverse' by FOW Studios is a step in the right direction and I would love to be a part of that. Of course I unfortunately have bills to pay, but ultimately I can't see myself being disappointed or un-fulfilled in a career where I get to make these types of games. I also have my girlfriend of multiple years supporting me and I am sure she could also contribute in some way as she is very artistically talented.

At the end of the day, I guess this is my way of venting frustrations over the way my professional career has gone, but if somebody is looking for a versatile developer I am definitely your guy. Thanks :)

Belgie831

Dec 16, 2018
Cheers! Stay positive friend
I've heard of many developers getting a decent secondary check off of Patreon, perhaps a muse will turn into an income. I have written script and screenplay for a few games - NSFW/Adult - that have always been stunted by the developers drive. It's a good thing I never have had to rely on those solely for income. If you get one started, or are looking for a starting point let me know. I'd be happy to help. This is a very diverse community here, with one thing in common: a passion for something different. You'll always fit in, huge weirdo and all. lol