Ren'Py Exporting at 4K then scaling down using Gimp?

DiPeppo

Developer of Cyberheart
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2022
I am not sure if this is a good idea since I have heard somewhere that people export to 4K and then scale the image down to 1080 using Gimp, and from Gimp, exporting it to .webp format.

Assuming I have time and resources to do so, is it a good practice? Or is rendering at the native resolution that you want more recommended (say render directly at 1080p)?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
More or less, yeah. It's standard practice for many developers (just in Photoshop rather than GIMP.). Some developers also just do the postwork, save them out, and then mass convert to Lossless WebP and downscale to 1080 all at once via XnConvert. Up to you as both are basically the same. Though, if you do the latter, then make sure you save out of GIMP/PS in the native resolution as downscaling twice would obviously just further degrade the quality of the render.

Where you'll see arguments on it is the native/origin quality of said render/image. Some say 4K is best (specifically for noise.), many will say 2K/1440p is fine, that both will look nearly the same after downscaling. Make two of the same renders. One at 4K and one at 1440p. Downscale each one to 1080 and pick them apart, see if you can spot a difference. If you can spot a difference, then show someone else blind. Ask them if they can see a difference between the two of them. Between you and another set of eyes, make the decision that's best for you and your project.

Reactions: DiPeppo

DiPeppo

Developer of Cyberheart
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2022
Thanks so much! I am so new to developing and was just curious about what different developers prefer. :)

Reactions: MissFortune

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Thanks so much! I am so new to developing and was just curious about what different developers prefer. :)
Sometimes I render at 3200x1800 as a compromise, but only to downscale for any noise, no other reason.