external hard drive problem

jojo850

Sep 10, 2021
I have an external hard drive and when I try to start a game from this hard drive it won't start. However, when I launch the same game from my local disks (C) + (D), it works fine.

What could be the cause of this?
Could it be due to the wrong hard drive format?
What do I need to change to get the game to run from the external hard drive?

Last edited:

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
If on windows: windows key -> computer managent -> disk management in the window that opens. Show me what shows there...should look like this. 1720372661903.png

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
yes, that's right, the drive F (exFAT)
After some quick googling the issue with an exFAT drive that may arise with Renpy games is that it is for large file sizes. Clumps of smaller size files on a large cluster size drive may corrupt easier, which may be what is happening with your games. Though I can't confirm that.

Edit: Another small thing I found about externals. If the renpy launcher is started without the external device connected, the Projects Directory gets reset to its default, and you must change it back. But I think that's only if you are launching renpy games form a central renpy launcher instead of the canned launchers most games come with.

jojo850

Sep 10, 2021
Apple certainly has its advantages, but so far I haven't been able to get used to it because I'm more familiar with Windows.

Aesir Lust

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2022
Apple certainly has its advantages, but so far I haven't been able to get used to it because I'm more familiar with Windows.
I'd also suggest you to take a look at the health of your disks on CrystalDiskInfo every once in a while. It might not be the fix you were searching for, but if something corrupts you might want to check your disks' health status.